Harris

Harris Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Harris President & CEO Bill Brown

Bill Brown

Pros
  • The 9/80 work schedule has definitely kept me from leaving the company despite several other offers(in 30 reviews)

• The project I've been on for 3 years has a great work life balance(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • The newest slogan is "do more with less" so the work-life balance is skewing(in 7 reviews)

• Upper Management likes to out source your job once they see that your work is complete(in 11 reviews)

Initially great but as the years progressed it decreased especially the last year

Corporate Employee (Former Employee) Melbourne, FL

ProsWhile in GCSD the 9/80 was great but once I transferred to corporate that was eliminated. The benefits were good

ConsThe senior management is only interested in new grads and only from specific Florida schools. The CEO is interested in himself and making sure he has his large bonuses and salary increases each year at the expense of the people who actually do the work. Corporate management is worse. Do not work for corporate! They are cut-throat -back stabbing individuals

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider the employees the lower levels, the C,D's 1's & 2's. They are the ones that are required to come in each day and do the work.

Worst company ever!

Program Manager (Former Employee) Lynchburg, VA

ProsLow cost of living in one location of PSPC division.

ConsIn a 43 year career Harris PSPC was the worst one I was ever associated with. More concerned with politically-correct BS than doing what is right for the customer.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn the market and don't force things that might have worked in other arenas into the PSPC market.

Horrible place to work!

Proposal Manager (Former Employee) Lynchburg, VA

ProsNo "Pros" to speak of.

ConsRetaliative, threatening, and unfair work place.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Land of the dinosaurs

(Former Employee) Palm Bay, FL

ProsDiverse technology portfolio and wide breadth of engineering talent.

ConsArchaic system and HR heavy management culture that rewards based on who you know rather than results you produce. If you are not part of the good ol' boy/gal club, you have very little chance of promotion regardless of the results or positive impact you make. GCS is top heavy with executives who have been in the same position for years and continue to produce non existent results year after year. They have re-orgs every year only to move the same non-value-added highly paid executives to different VP or director positions. Mid-level results oriented leaders have no where to go but outside this company to grow. I give kudos to the new CEO. He has the difficult job of cleaning up the mess and anarchy left behind by his predecessor who made numerous bad investment decisions and continued to promote the same small circle of people. Finally we have a leader who is measuring people based on results and making positive changes. I recommend Bill Brown takes a close look at the large number of GCS executives that have been in the same position doing the same job the same way year after year without results.

Advice to Senior ManagementClear out the executive dead weight and the long standing cronyism.

Nothing Left But Skin and Bones

ProsThe people and the powerful bonds formed over years of working together. The tight and effective interpersonal relationships that made this company great and profitable...now coming apart at the seams.

ConsNew management - all former UTC - no concern for employees or customers - all about the profits. All the good that was Harris is going away...and nothing will be left but...skin and bones. The ax-man cometh.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe BOD needs to take action, your stock may rise today, but will sink tomorrow. Then what...no good talent left to run the place.

Management successes are on the backs of the employees (that receive zero rewards for their efforts)

Software Engineer IV (Current Employee) Palm Bay, FL

ProsSadly, now I don't see any. (working on getting another job with another company)

ConsBenefits used to above all others. Unfortunately they are being eroded to be below the rest of the industry. Raises for the last several years are virtually non-existent even when the company had high profits, profit sharing is pathetic, work environment is horrible, milestones are ridiculous, innovation has died out, excessive uses of obsolete technology, promotions are next to impossible unless you happen to be one of the "chosen" ones. Employee generated cost savings are overlooked. Forced to work unpaid overtime, no training unless it is a lunchtime seminar where you donate your time. Facilities are old and mold-ridden. New technology center is a joke. New CEO treats engineers like a commodity. If you want to get ahead, you have to be a "yes" person and never speak your mind. Management is only focused on stock price and short term goals. Although stock looks good now, I believe future failures will cause significant long-term harm.

Stay away - very far away. There are better opportunities elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop patting yourselves on the back telling yourself how great you are and go back to school so you might learn how to properly manage a company or get out. You are destroying the company and it is quickly approaching the point of no return. Oust the CEO before there is nothing left to save.

Was great now sadly not

ProsThe people are passionate about their work and their customer's mission. The 9/80 schedule provides work life balance and Melbourne, Fl is a nice place to live and work. Three years ago this review would have been very positive; it
    used to be a great place to work.

ConsThe new CEO is focused on changing the culture to focus solely on cost cutting to enhance the stock price with no regard for the people. Low merit increases, increased benefit costs while looking at ways to reduce offerings. They do not invest in their people.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a lack of confidence and trust in the CEO and his leadership team; questionable ethics. There is no strategic vision other than to cutting costs to show a profit. They should expect and plan on high turnover within the next 9 months.

Harris - Decent for new grads, not good for mid career

PFA (Former Employee)

ProsThere is good job stability here.

ConsNon-competitive salary, especially for those in mid career. Raises are less than 2% annually for the majority of employees. A once competitive benefits package is a shell of what it once was. The office culture was draining.

Horrible company; Management is the worst I've ever encountered with a company! No direction; Fend for yourself.

Field Engineering Specialist (Former Employee) Colorado Springs, CO

ProsNONE...... Don't work for this company!

ConsChallenging environment because you have to do your managements job half the time!

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is a joke!

Top Heavy With Managers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNone anymore. Used to think benefits were better than most but now that much of the cost is passed on to the employees with Obamacare as teh blame can't say they're good anymore. Other than that and getting a paycheck there is nothing good about this company.

ConsThey have lost the mission, they have lost their way, they have lost everything that was ever good about them. They treat their employees worse than many would treat a dog they would abuse. Sad to see the changes over the years. Pay is horrible and all they want to do is replace the current talent with young college grads so they can pay them less. If you are an older person and enjoy respect this isn't the place for you. Question is can this company be saved. I'm thinking its doubtful. I used to love coming to work when I was there but things changed for the worse over the years. In reading many of the reviews the people are correct too many managers and directors and not enough employees though the employees are the ones doing the work. It is cliquey and many don't fit into those cliques. Not that many would want to based on the activities and behavior of some of the leaders of the cliques.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up and pay attention. You are losing good talent by forcing people out or laying off the good ones because they won't conform.

Worked for Harris? Contribute to the Community!