Harris

Harris Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Harris President & CEO Bill Brown

Bill Brown

Pros:
  • "9/80 work week allows for every other Friday off"
    in 21 reviews
  • "The project I've been on for 3 years has a great work life balance"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "The newest slogan is "do more with less" so the work-life balance is skewing"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Upper Management likes to out source your job once they see that your work is complete"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

work at harris for 37 years, very interesting positions over the years

Engineer (Former Employee)
Melbourne, FL

I worked at Harris full-time for more than 10 years

Prosvery interesting project to work on; great people to work with and the 9/80 work schedule which gives you every other friday off

Consat times top management can appear not to understand/appreciate the the detailed program/project work challenges

Advice to Senior Managementunderstand that each program/project is unique and each program unique challenges

Harris - Decent for new grads, not good for mid career

PFA (Former Employee)

I worked at Harris full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere is good job stability here.

ConsNon-competitive salary, especially for those in mid career. Raises are less than 2% annually for the majority of employees. A once competitive benefits package is a shell of what it once was. The office culture was draining.

Horrible company; Management is the worst I've ever encountered with a company! No direction; Fend for yourself.

Field Engineering Specialist (Former Employee)
Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Harris full-time for less than a year

ProsNONE...... Don't work for this company!

ConsChallenging environment because you have to do your managements job half the time!

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is a joke!

Systems Engineer

Systems Engineer II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Harris full-time for more than a year

ProsAs an Implementation Systems Engineer be prepared to travel quite a bit. Good place to work if you like to travel all of the time.

ConsThe compensation for an Implementation Systems Engineer is good, unless when you are required to work 60+ hour weeks without getting any overtime compensation.

Great company for young professional, but not so much for anyone else

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Columbia, MD

I worked at Harris full-time

ProsThis review is for Columbia, MD office.
- Knowledgeable engineering leads that are willing to help you learn and grow along the way. I've learned a few things while at this location that I see lacking at other companies.
- Team consists of knowledgeable and go-getter engineers.
- Great professionalism and respect among team members.
- Opportunities to work on a variety of projects.
- Occasional international travel.
- Occasional training opportunities travel.

Cons- Performance and compensation not necessary correlates. Salary is somewhat average to below average compared to other companies.
- High turnover ratio due to dissatisfaction with compensation/salary and lack of trust in management (not at the office, but at higher management from corporate).

Corruption in Lynchburg Division - Not the "real" Harris

Systems Engineer III (Current Employee)
Lynchburg, VA

I have been working at Harris full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe negatives so outweigh the cons that they are not even recognizable.

Cons-No opportunity for growth or career development:
-Exploitation of salaried employees (working well in excess of 40 hours / week)
-No bonuses
-Extremely High turnover rate
-Cost cutting from bottom up
-Upper Management
-No merit increases
-Inability to retain talent leading to constant turnover
-During my period of employment (5 years)
-Favoritism
-Unfair performance evaluations
-Minimal Training for new and experienced employees
-Blatantly untrained managers (basically professionals who do not perform in their area of expertise, for example Engineers or Program Managers, are put in management positions as the "booby prize"). They are disgruntled, unhappy, untrained, and do not engage or empower their teams. Since when do managers no know anything about the division they are managing and have no formal management experience?
-No valuation of employee excellence or potential
-Top heavy pay scale (absentee managers receiving exhorbitant salaries while employees receive low pay and no annual increases, raises are rare, promotions almost non-existant)
-No growth
-HR useless and management worthless
-Preferential treatment given to women involved in affairs with upper management
-Intimidation by management over job security
-No job market in Lynchburg and management knows it and feels confident that despite unethical practices the employees have no choice but to stay and comply with mistreatment
-Discrimination towards women and older employees...

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at departments with high turnover rates and realize the costs of losing experienced employees and constantly bringing in new employees who learn by the "sink or swim" method (long learning curve) with no formal orientation and training, then after 2-3 years (sometimes short periods of time) walking out the door with all of the Harris experience and "hands-on" experience; and taking that experience to competition.

Good.

I have been working at Harris full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFair compensation, good benefits, some real talent in secondary leadership positions.

ConsRequirements of contracts are often changed, and when that happens, sometimes your positions disappears. In the current sequestration crisis, and belt-tightening in Washington, D.C., management has tended to staff contracts with entry-to-mid level individuals, and it is difficult to find a senior position.

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on finding outstanding individuals for secondary leadership positions. If you have a dud leading a team, everyone is miserable and productivity falls.

Back stabbing culture @ RF Systems

Program Manager III (Former Employee)
Rochester, NY

I worked at Harris full-time for more than 10 years

ProsRF Communications in Rochester NY, great area to raise family and cost of living is decent. The non-management workforce are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

ConsNo life work balance. Culture is all about making the sale regardless of what where you stand or the organization, you're expected to sacrifice family for the good of the company. If you're part of the inner circle you can do no wrong, management will blame others to protect the few that they chose.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open minded. Give opportunities to outsiders who joined the company from other organizations or competitors.

Hopeful work experience slides downward

Analyst (Former Employee)
Melbourne, FL

I worked at Harris full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat opportunity to work with some of the most intelligent,talented employees within the different disciplines. Employees are friendly and courteous.

ConsMiddle management is so removed from the day-to-day activities it takes to complete projects that they border on being useless, and in some cases, incompetent. This happens at the expense of smart, dedicated, hard-working employees consistently performing above the level of their direct managers. Upper management watches.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper Management: Stop focusing on the wrong metrics and start actually managing! For example, there are departments that have been reduced to just a few strong individuals, whereas before there were about a dozen or so employees. Workload and timelines remain the same. Employees are working from 50 to 60 to 70 hours per week and management strolls through the department noticing who is and who isn't present at 8:30am. Really?? Interesting to note, management is not there at 9:00 pm and on weekends. Dear Management: prepare to lose some serious talent and corporate memory the longer it takes you to make changes.

It wasn't horrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Harris

ProsI got exposed to a lot of different technology that I would not have seen otherwise. If all you want to do is keep your head down and not be noticed, this is the place! I learned a lot about defense contracting here.

ConsCreativity not welcome. Easy to get pigeon-holed. Coming out of college and moving to this town was a rough transition for a single guy... I'm not super picky but the ratio of professional men to women is very tilted. Actually the reason I left was to move to another town so I could find a wife, ha!

Worked for Harris? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Harris reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Harris CEO Bill Brown. All 329 reviews posted anonymously by Harris employees.