Harris Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. Wonderful place

I have been working at Harris

Pros

Friendly, relaxed atmosphere. Challenging and rewarding work.

Cons

I have no cons at all.

2. Proposal Analyst

I have been working at Harris

Pros

Enjoy learning about government policies

Cons

Contract work comes and goes, not always steady

LMR group is floundering

Former Employee - Project Manager in Lynchburg, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Lynchburg, VA

I worked at Harris full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

benefits, work schedule, company name and recognition.

Cons

Harris management does not understand the LMR business

Advice to Management

Either allow legacy TE MA-COM employees to run the LMR business or sell that unit. You are not winning new work because of the losing strategy of the management team who does not understand the business. All of your talent is leaving. Constant downsizing is destroying moral.

Great People Poor Management starting at CEO

I worked at Harris full-time

Pros

Great smart people to work with. Works is enjoyable enough

Cons

Poor management starting at CEO. Bill Brown is about slashing employee benefits to increase stock price

Busy today, but what is the future?

Former Employee - Engineer in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Engineer in Rochester, NY

I worked at Harris full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

(Exelis has been purchased by Harris – this review is cross-posted at Harris. This review is specific to the Geospatial Systems business in Rochester, NY.)

Opportunity to work with excellent co-workers, and on interesting technology. Business is busy right now, better than it has been in quite some time. Hopefully the new Harris management is an improvement over the Exelis management.

Cons

Exelis management has been incapable of long-term planning, leading to constant hiring / layoff cycles. For example, there were big layoffs in May 2014, and now business is very busy and they are trying to hire people. It would have made much more sense to keep the people we had, but that would require management that can plan out further than 6 months.

There have been so many layoffs, it is difficult to retain the excellent co-workers mentioned above. Young people in particular (under 55 is 'young') don't stay, and some, bizarrely, have been laid off!

Years of bad management is now catching up. They are TRYING to hire right now, but it is difficult. Exelis has a reputation in Rochester as a poor employer, with no stability. There are people that we could really use here, but they aren't interested. I think they tried to get back one of the young people previously laid off, but he declined. I can't blame him, since job stability is probably a high priority. Perhaps getting rid of the Exelis name will help in this respect.

While business is currently very busy, I have never, over the years of Kodak/ITT/Exelis/Harris, been more pessimistic on the long-term future of this business. Many people will be retiring soon, and Exelis/Harris is not making plans to replace them. (Indeed, they have actually laid off the should-be leaders of tomorrow!) Lots of knowledge will be walking out the door. It's hard to see the future here as the bulk of the workforce retires over the next 5 or so years.

Advice to Management

To the Harris Geospatial Systems management: Yes, things are very busy now, but do not get cocky or complacent. It has never been a more dangerous time for the company. You have put the future of GS in jeopardy.

First, stop with the cycle of layoffs! Instead of layoffs, how about R&D investment in new products? Yes, customer programs can be erratic; that is why you need products separate from the big programs, to smooth out our business.

Second, bring back the youth! I really cannot emphasize this enough; you will soon have a shortage of qualified, knowledgeable people. A few new graduates have been hired, which is a good start. But you are missing people in between, with 10 - 20 years of experience.

Here is an example. May 2014, there was a big layoff in my department – an over-reaction to a short-term (3 – 6 month) slowdown in business. Lots of people were laid off, and many were hired back when business predictably got busy again. One employee who was laid off is (I am guessing) in his mid-30’s, with around 10 years’ experience at Exelis. This is someone who knows our product, our customer, our project management style, has experience on multiple projects and proposals. It was stupid to lay him off; it is ludicrous that he has not been brought back!

You NEED people like this to be your senior engineers, supervisors and project managers 10-20 years from now, and you NEED to start developing these future leaders NOW. A lot of people are near retirement; who will replace them?

This is just one example. You are busy and hiring - especially try to find the people who have left (or been laid off), people who know your business. Time is running short before you run out of a critical mass of people who know your specialized work. Knowledge needs to be passed to the next generation, or there is no future!

Disappointing Direction

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Harris full-time

Pros

There are a variety of fun, challenging programs to work on. There is always an opportunity to learn something new and work with many different technologies. Working with an inter-disciplinary team to realize a product vision is incredibly enjoyable.

Cons

In recent years upper level management has treated employees as commodities. Benefits are cut year after year, salaries are not keeping up with inflation, and promotion opportunities are limited for engineers who want to stay on a technical career path.

Advice to Management

People are important, and your engineers are what keep the company going. Start showing them some appreciation or they will find somewhere else that will.

RF Industry really !!!

Current Employee - Systems Engineer III in Lynchburg, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer III in Lynchburg, VA

I have been working at Harris full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Harris has multiple locations and remote offices to work from.
    The engineers are brilliant but out of touch with reality.
    Relaxed environment to work in. If you really want to be an RF engineer, there's a lot you can learn from the Harris Engineers.
    I honestly don't have much nicer things to say about Harris.

Cons

As always the Management is the biggest issues in the company. They are bunch of dropouts from community colleges. Somehow the Company is a billion dollar company and has a lot of money to throw away. So come on in and have a party, if that's what you like to do.
    There's absolutely zero innovation or engineering that takes place within Harris. Forget outsourcing, they don't even maintain their legacy products. They have a bad reputation with their customers for a good reason.
    There are no guidelines, no career paths. For being a government contractor I'm appalled at the amount of rules they break.
    They think money can solve the problem and not engineers. They will throw money at a problem and make it go away or at least try to.
    No appreciation of their employees. Get ready to get yanked off a project in a blink of an eye.
    Pathetic health insurance plans. No increase in salary over time.
    It's not a plain even field, its a hierarchal system, within engineers, managers. If you believe in magic, this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Spend 2 weeks in the lab, instead of flying to vegas on every opportunity you get.

9. Poor management

I worked at Harris

Pros

Flexible work week, decent building

Cons

Ineffective management, lack of work

Was great, now mediocre

Current Employee - Systems Engineer IV in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer IV in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Harris full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Reasonably stable, but that may change

Cons

Medical benefits are approaching dark age quality. New cuts are coming in January to benefits across the board. Pay is ok, but not great - avg raise is 2.5%, does not keep up with increased cost of benefits. Most programs are not well managed with profit taking precedence over quality. But hey the majority of our customers are government, so quality is not too important.

Advice to Management

Stop cutting costs without considering the long term consequences. While you view 9/80 as not conducive to business, a patently false statement with no merit, we view as an excellent benefit.

11. Harris Review

Current Employee - Systems Engineer IV in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer IV in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Harris

Pros

Strong company health, interesting technical work, good salaries, good 401k plan

Cons

Dwindling benefits, sterile work environment

RSS Feed </> Embed