www.harris.com
  www.harris.com

Harris Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2010's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
3.6

Harris President & CEO Bill Brown
Bill Brown

Pros
  • Good work/life balance - 9/80 work week (every other Friday off) (in 44 reviews)

• Work-life balance can be good when not on long travel assignments (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has forgotten that programs are won based on a competitive technical edge (in 23 reviews)

• Work life balance is rarely balanced and never to the "life" side (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Harris is is an outstanding company to work for!

Current Employee - Network Associate A in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Network Associate A in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Harris

Pros

Harris is a strong, growing company and seems well positioned for the future. As a result, they treat their people fairly well compared to similar companies in the industry. The future seems fairly stable despite the economy. Also, the pay and benefits are good compared to similar positions I've seen. The career paths are well defined and the company promotes from within which makes the company worth sticking with.

Cons

Due to the size and maturity of the company, opportunities for creativity are limited to the most senior technical people. At the front, most of the processes have been streamlined for efficiency to the point where the bulk of the work is driven by cookie cutter processes and templates.

Keep doing what you're doing! The only thing I might change would be to offer more cross-training opportunities to test the waters in more creative and diverse positions.

Nice, Friendly and Safe Place to Work

Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Harris

Pros

Every other Friday off work schedule.
    Its safe; risk adverse management reduces the need to lay-off people in harder times
    It has a good reputation with some government customers, making it easier to get certain types of work funded.
    They develop interesting technologies with real-world impact.

Cons

Management too often views technical professionals as interchangeable.
    Some managers lack basic technical skills required to lead engineering projects.
    Too bound to government as main customer, not well positioned for more commercial areas.
    Risk adverse management reluctant to break into new markets and tech areas.

Needs to recognize technology and technologists are key product.

Harris IT Services

Current Employee - Network Engineer I in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Network Engineer I in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Harris

Pros

Stable work environment and education assistance.

Cons

Harris pay is lower than the industry standard.

Keep working hard.

Harris a great place to work for Engineers

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Palm Bay, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Palm Bay, FL

I have been working at Harris

Pros

Great Benefits! 100% match up to 6% on 401K. 9/80 schedule (every other Friday off) is awesome.
    Most of the projects engineers work on are exciting and interesting, and you have the opportunity to jump to other projects that are drastically different if you choose.
    Harris throws a week long Engineering Week event, where there are seminars with free lunch, contests, and a giant picnic. There is also an year end celebration (day long) where families can join for free food and fun.

Cons

You have to work in 60's architecture buildings, with very few windows. For a tech company they lag behind in using web 2.0 technologies, and management are little stubborn and wary of taking risks or trying something new. Although, they are start to get better at this. It's very hard to get promoted up to management. It seems like you have to work in the company 10+ years before you get a chance.
    Harris doesn't pay as much as other companies, however, it makes it up by the the great work culture and benefits.

Give some younger engineers who are eager a little more responsibility and say in projects.

Opportunities abound at Harris.

Current Employee - Geospatial Analyst in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Geospatial Analyst in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Harris

Pros

Definite possibilities of advancing in your current career field, or shifting to a different career altogether. Harris is very supportive of keeping the talent they hire. They look at the person as a whole, and what contributions he/she can make to the company from various standpoints (this is the reasoning behind the length of the interview process). These quality individuals are provided perks such as educational assistance in the case that an accountant wants to make a transition to engineer.

Great people, matched with motivation and determination makes for a great company to work for.

Cons

On occassion, the communication between management and the workforce is somewhat lacking. Sometimes it seems as though Harris is obtaining so much new business and enhancing contracts with others, that the subsequent information does not flow down the pipe-line until it's crunch time.

I believe Harris is headed in the right direction. They are consistently expanding into new areas of development and creating new business opportunities. I say to Senior Mgmt; keep up the intensity and the hard work, it clearly shows with the loyalty you have from your employees and customers.

Lot of brilliant people, empoyees generally treated well.

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Harris

Pros

Harris is a technology leader whose products help our troops and friendly forces fight the good fight around the world. You have the opportunity to work with some of the brightest engineering minds in the world. Promotion from within is encouraged.

The company's strong finanical position makes it a nice place to be during a recession.

Cons

Don't always get the best feedback on performance - sometimes none at all. Can be bureaucratic at times as well.

Keep being aggressive with the money spent on building new products and capabilities. Consider that sometimes world class engineers do not make world class managers.

its a nice place

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Harris

Pros

its a big flexible big company

Cons

you are one of many fish

take care of your people.

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Palm Bay, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Palm Bay, FL

I have been working at Harris

Pros

Opportunities to work different projects upon completion of current assignment.

Cons

I can't think of any downsides

Focus efforts on products.

Preliminary Harris Job Review

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Harris

Pros

From what I have seen and heard Harris looks like a great place to work. I have just received and offer to work there and from what I can tell it should be an enjoyable experience. Some good tell tale signs of a good work enviroment are the low attrition rate of new employees, meeting employees that have worked there for long periods of time, not hearing about job loss in an economy where such things seem inevitable.

Cons

I haven't worked there yet so I can't say whats bad yet

If you pay engineers well and give them cool stuff to do then they will be happy.

Harris - Great Company

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Harris

Pros

Flexible work options for engineers. You can choose a field that interest you to work in if it is available. People are helpful and easy to approach if you have a problem. You have a group leader who is a medium between you and you Engineering Manager that you can send all your questions to, and they are usually pretty quick in responding. I'm a new college graduate and have only worked for one other company in the power industry, and the work you get to do at Harris is soooooo much more exciting and interesting. I don't dread having to go to work every day! Love my job!

Cons

Melbourne, FL isn't a very attractive place for people in their 20's. The population here is older.

Less politics!