Harris Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Great place to start a career, but needs growth options

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Harris full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Willing to hire professionals transitioning into new disciplines (i.e. Network Engineering)

Cons

Certain programs limited in areas where a professional can grow and move up in position, and company has pulled back on training budget.

Advice to Management

Find measurable ways to reward talent for their emerging skills, and focus on retention.

Good people, not so great culture

I worked at Harris full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some smart, talented, and dedicated people work there. In the government part, good processes and organization. Most managers are flexible about work schedules and handling personal commitments. Many remote/telework positions are available.

Cons

Outside the government part, poor or missing business processes. Some parts of the company feel like a start-up - but with all the negatives and none of the positives. Communication from management to employees is slow or missing. Even the good managers are handcuffed by the unnecessary bureaucracy, lack of autonomy, and poor communication from the top.

Advice to Management

Empower employees more. Support more training and external career development opportunities for all employees. Increase and improve communication to employees - valuable communication, not just platitudes and brief (and useless) monthly memos.

Great for early career, limited opportunity mid and late career

Former Employee - Network Operations Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Network Operations Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Harris full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're on a large program and ambitious, it's easy to move up from lower positions. Pay and benefits are more or less on par with other large companies in the same space.

Cons

Similar to the other large systems integrators in the federal space, Harris is filled with older staff that have spent many years with the company, some decades. As a result, they tend to be in the front of the line for promotions, choice assignments, etc. leaving young talent with limited opportunities to keep moving up. You will plateau relatively quickly and chances to move into senior management will be slim. Also keep in mind this is a traditional, conservative, company and the workforce is not that diverse.

5. Director

I have been working at Harris full-time

Pros

Great working environment and focused on delivering world class support

Cons

Benefits package tends to lag behind other competitors

Advice to Management

Need better accountability as well as reduce overhead.

6. Good company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Meade, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Meade, MD

I have been working at Harris full-time

Pros

Lots of room for growth and relocation with Exelis acquisition. Company is now 8th largest defense contractor.

Cons

Company does not share information well with employees, although communication issues are common in many companies.

Advice to Management

More interaction with employees to explain things such as strategic vision for projects and better feedback on performance.

7. Lost cause

Former Employee - Software Engineer IV in Palm Bay, FL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer IV in Palm Bay, FL

I worked at Harris full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

9/80 work schedule (That is it)

Cons

Idiotic management. For example, instead of looking at Glassdoor to gauge employee morale, they will spend a lot of money on a survey and when they see employees are disgusted with the place, they cherry pick and bracket the results to show how great a job they are doing. Morons.

I invested a significant portion of my life to the company only to see Bill Brown and his cronies destroy everything. Yes, the stock is doing well from an investor's point of view, but they are short term gains. I predict it will collapse in the long term and then the investors will see how it was a sham. Emphasis is on LOOKING good, not BEING good. Huge lost opportunity. In my opinion, Bill Brown is using Harris for a stepping stone and his successor will catch the blame for the collapse of the company.

How can I have such opinions? Because I am an engineer with an MBA. Harris is the poster child for how to destroy a once great company. Just keep watching. It will take a while, but it is on the road to a company in serious trouble. But of course, the problems will be due to external factors. I no longer hold any stock in this company because I do not want to lose my hard earned money while management pilfers the company with excessive salaries and bonuses while they tell the employees: "Well things are tough so raises will be small, if at all." (It even rhymes.)

If you are a new grad, don't buy what you will hear when you are recruited. You will get a good starting salary and a raise every 6 months for a couple of years to get you into the company. After that, you will be hard pressed to get a raise. Don't waste the beginnings of your career in a toxic environment.

Advice to Management

Get out. Turn the company over to someone that knows how to build a company and understands that BEING good is what is important. The rest will follow and the company will be strong over the long hall.

Review

I have been working at Harris

Pros

Many positions available nationwide.

Cons

Difficult to promote within the company.

Great place to work (after UTC)

Former Employee - Senior Enough to Know Better in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Enough to Know Better in Rochester, NY

I worked at Harris full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place for advancement for former UTC executives. Making an effort to ask employees to write more positive Glassdoor reviews shows a glimmer of sensitivity to the employee environment. Nice lobby with ample parking.

Cons

No so great for folks hired by Harris under previous regime. New management has disenfranchised many who planned on making a career here. The ongoing departure of highly skilled/paid employees has helped create opportunities, and gives one pause as to the future prospects of the firm in a competitive labor environment. The company used to have a legacy, vision, "Soul"; now it has excellent cash conversion metrics. A fair trade in some circles.

Advice to Management

Leave something for the next crew. The tactical focus and "financial objectives as strategy" thing will not work forever; enjoy the rewards and leave no footprints.

Former Harris employee

I worked at Harris

Pros

Coworkers and local management were supportive. Benefits were good, pay was decent. Opportunities to work in different areas of my field were svailable.

Cons

Personally, I had a long commute which eventually wore me out. Underbidding on contracts led to overworked and understaffed departments.

Advice to Management

Quarterly meetings for staff were discontinued for almost 2 years. I would recommend that steps be taken so this doesn't hsppen again.

software w

Current Employee - Software Engineer in West Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in West Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Harris (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are some great people who work there

Cons

Benefits, matrix management, salary, and lack of funding for training

RSS Feed </> Embed