Harris Reviews

643 reviews filtered by

Good Overall Employer

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Harris full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good People. Fast paced

Cons

Contracts come and go and so do people.

Invest in the people who bring in the contracts

Changing Comany

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Harris (more than a year)

Pros

Love the work, highly challenging. Great teams to work with. Actually pays over time. Every other Friday off. Has their only medical center with pharmacy.

Cons

Changing benefits (all medical coverage heading to CDHPs). Pay raises were delayed by 5 months (from aug. to dec.). All promotions were delayed by the same amount. Insurance going up but not getting anything for it. Turning everything to cubicle farms and reducing any form of privacy.

Stop trying to save up to buy other companies and fund the employees. Stop cutting back on benefits and state outright that you have no intention of EVER getting rid of the 9/80 schedule.

Harris CapRock / Harris

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I worked at Harris

Pros

It was a good company until about a year ago when they basically ran everyone out of dodge. No joke, they let no less than 25 GREAT employees leave because of poor leadership and lack of direction. Prior to this it was a GREAT team to work for.

Cons

Leadership on all levels are atrocious. There is no loyalty to ANYTHING other than the stock holders and Wall Street. Senior leadership in Harris Caprock literally sold out employees by finding ways to get people to quit without affecting the Harris bottom line and they were bonused for this. HR was unbelievable to the point of actually being laughable.

Practice the integrity and HBX that you preach because right now it's all just smoke and mirrors!

Good overall experience as an entry level job

Former Employee - Project Manager in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Harris full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Multiple business sectors for theoretical movement
    Comprehensive benefits - PTO, medical, 401K
    Internal customer for projects
    PMO actively interested in improving processes - including resource management

Cons

PMO practices documentation lacking
    High project to PM ratio
    Could not transfer to another state when husband transferred
    Does not support remote work

Great company, improvement needed in correctly evaluating and filling staffing needs for continued success.

Former Employee - Senior Executive Assistant and Project Coordinator in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Harris full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This is still a a great place to work. Senior staff at the division levels have been in place long enough to know and appreciate great talent. Talent that goes above and beyond the company expectations.

Cons

Support staff was thinned out to the extent of over-taxing those left behind. Too many were laid off or retired without taking into account what that would do to the project support teams.

Listen to survey results and take action to lessen the burden and stress added by short-staffing.

Ok Placeholder job

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Harris (more than a year)

Pros

Really interesting technical challenges. You work on things that you maybe only get to work on here. Every project is different.

Cons

Slow pace. Lots of people who aren't looking to learn more. This is kind of a playground for B students who look like they are smart more so than people who are actually smart.

Decide whether you want to compete in the retail market and if you do start working to destroy your culture of blame and actually figure out what succeeds and fails and why instead of searching desperately for the nearest sacrificial lamb.

Harris Caprock Communications

I worked at Harris

Pros

There is a chance to work in many areas of satellite communications.

Cons

The company, Harris Caprock Communications and Harris in general, continually speaks of loyalty and integrity but fails to follow through. Their latest RIF allowed many people with 10 - 30 years to simply walk out the door due to programs ending with a minimal amount of effort in keeping them within Harris. These were people who had demonstrated their worth and loyalty to the company but were allowed to go while new people continued to show up. Good place to work but do not expect them to be as loyal to you as you are to them.

Understand that people who have proved themselves by their knowledge, capabilities, integrity, and loyalty are assets worth keeping. Harris HR should be actively working towards finding positions for people as programs end rather than leaving them alone to try and find further employment within the company. HR will state they provided help but I know of no person that actually found their job within Harris, although their were a few, that attributed it to HR. In closing, the amount of talent I witnessed leaving the company is mind boggling. It is, I believe, an example of a big company in a smallish town who looks at themselves as the only game in town and maybe they are.

Great company with exciting opportunities!

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Harris full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In this company I met some of the most interesting and knowledgeable people in the industry. Projects were never boring and people are very easy to work with.

Cons

Lots of travel. For some that's great, but after a few years, it wore on me.

Keep an eye out for people getting burned out from traveling and overworking.

10. Great Experience

I have been working at Harris full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work in with good colleagues and plenty of training opportunities.

Cons

As there have been some restructuring going on, some employees may feel confused about the new structure. However, communications have been made from management to provide more information.

Continue the various mode of communication to employees to reduce the confusion over restructuring.

Poor Leadership, Pocket-lining Management

Former Employee - Information Security in Scott AFB, IL
    Former Employee - Information Security in Scott AFB, IL

I worked at Harris

Pros

I worked for Harris IT Services. We were given pretty flexible work weeks with every other Friday off.

Cons

Too cheap. Unwilling to pay salaries necessary to keep the most skilled personnel. Out of touch with the job market. Bonuses cut (because we weren't profitable enough), while the CEO had the gall to ask shareholders to approve a massive raise for himself.

Worry less about your own pockets, and more about keeping key personnel happy. Better customer relations (through better service provided) will provide continued and additional business and therefore more income.