Harris Reviews

Updated September 13, 2014
2.9

Harris President & CEO Bill Brown
Bill Brown

Pros
  • The 9/80 work schedule has definitely kept me from leaving the company despite several other offers (in 30 reviews)

• The project I've been on for 3 years has a great work life balance (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • The newest slogan is "do more with less" so the work-life balance is skewing (in 7 reviews)

• Upper Management likes to out source your job once they see that your work is complete (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Big changes rapidly declining employee morale along with market share.

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Lynchburg, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Lynchburg, VA

I worked at Harris full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Salary benifits and that is all

Cons

PSPC management the worst...immoral...unethical and illegal activity.

Sell the division before you run it into the ground.

Harris is changing

I have been working at Harris full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Let you create your own career. Great investment in resources to stay ahead of the competitior. Challenging problems. Most people are committed to delivering top notch solutions.

Cons

Has become a company of mixed messages. New CEO treats Harris like it's a manufacturning company and really doesnt seem to get what we do and how we do business. They are pushing out giving our pay for performance merit increase a couple of quarters even though the division had a stellar year, because they are "concerned" about sequestration and what the next year COULD be, but Mr CEO will most likely get his on time because he had a stellar year with respect to getting the stock price up. So he gets his based on performance but ours are based on the future. It is clear his goal is "get the stock price up" no matter what.

If you you want to transform Harris into a high performing commerical company then you need to look to high performing commercial companies and give salaries, benefits and perks like those companies. You are creating a disengaged workforce and it is becoming epidemic.

Technical knowledge base is declining rapidly; shrinking programs, layoffs

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Harris full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The computers are reasonably fast and able to handle complex analysis. The benefit package is okay despite the employee portion increasing. The CEO removed many of the old management and replaced them with those he could trust.

Cons

Hundreds of layoffs and requests for early retirement from the over 50 crowd has caused a significant gap in the technical knowledge base. Upper management has forgotten that programs are won based on a competitive technical edge. Soon only the updated campus and generic low level employees will be left. This is either evidence of upper management blunders or the beginning of a campus sell-off where only the upper management and stockholders will make out.

There are still high level managers left from the old regime that should be replaced by those whose word can be trusted.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Diverse products allows for opportunities to explore

Current Employee - Project Engineer  in  Palm Bay, FL
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Palm Bay, FL

I have been working at Harris full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Harris has many programs running concurrently. This offers opportunities to work with a diversity of customers and groups within Harris. I have been fortunate enough to work with some of the best and most creative engineers I have ever meet.

Cons

Harris operates like a consolidation of small companies. Each program executes like a small company. As with any organization there are a few groups that are very difficult to work with. If you get into one of these groups work with your supervisor to transfer to another program.

It was pretty good, but quality of life is in rapid decline.

Current Employee - Software Engineer III  in  Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Harris full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There is a fair amount of variety in work you can do within the company, and a lot of it you can only do in a few select companies. Once you start working at Harris, you can be pretty sure (at least in Software) that your job is secure.

Cons

For the last 5-6 years there has been a steady stream of employee facing negative changes without a single positive change. Raises have not kept up with inflation at all and are usually around 1%. Each year they tell us that we did great this year, but they think next year is going to be tough. Eventually that has to be seen as a lie. IT policies keep getting more and more strict which makes it tough to actually do your job. Cost cutting measures have gotten bad enough that when maintenance shuts off the hot water to do a repair, people's first thought is that they just decided we didn't need hot water anymore.

Please consider that engineers (and software engineers in particular) are not the same as someone working on an manufacturing assembly line. Experience is a very important thing. When someone with years of experience working on a program leaves Harris, you can't just replace them with a new grad. It takes years to get them up to the same level. You need to actually encourage people to stay at the company instead of incentivizing us to leave.

Good place to start out but don't stay

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Palm Bay, FL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Palm Bay, FL

I have been working at Harris full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

They still manage to win interesting and challenging work and there are people there who genuinely care for the people who work for them.

Cons

If you are not in management you have no career path. It has been this way forever but seems to be worse now that everyone is scrambling to best everyone else. Jobs and careers used to be managed but now it is a free for all. Thank God for the employees desire to please the customer. 30 years ago management was looking out for the company and the employees, the new CEO is looking out for the stock holders and will do whatever it takes to line his and the stockholders pockets.

Better wake up. This used to be a one horse town but not anymore. When people can move jobs and not have to move they will change for other than salary reasons. Also this is called the age of information where twitter can take down a government. You have a serious rumor control problem.

This use to be the place to work in Melbourne - Palm Bay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Palm Bay, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Bay, FL

I have been working at Harris full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The job challenges and the people you work with. Beyond that not much any more.

Cons

Since the new CEO came here. this has really become an employee hostile environment. Benefits are being cut to the working class while upper management continue to reap rewards. Health plan was one of the best, now it isn't even average. Raises are virtually nonexistent for those of us in the trenches while management (i.e. CEO) gets 38%. The pretty new building will cause a drastic drop in production because of the call center type environment they are shoving us into. The CEO is very unhappy with the GCS 9/80 schedule with the constant threat of killing it. In my close to 20 years with the company I've never seen moral so low. Everything the CEO is doing is to pump up the stock price and nothing for talent retention or attraction.

Something need to change this downward spiral the company is in. Our biggest problem now is retaining talent. Harris is no long the only horse in the race. Too many opportunities are coming to this area with the influx of Aerospace companies. Sure we are winning contracts, but when it comes to being able to execute them Harris is going to be hurting down the road.

Micro managment with a short-term focus

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lynchburg, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynchburg, VA

I have been working at Harris full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good people who work hard and care about the customers they serve. Compensation is good but you have to start high because raises are lean.

Cons

There is a lot of wasted effort reporting up versus working on productive activities. My business unit was acquired by Harris. They proceeded to methodically destroy the culture and passion of employees. They clearly don't understand how to run a systems business and can only think in terms of box shipments. There's a daily focus on orders and sales reporting and no sign of thinking strategically about where we want to be in 3-5 years.

Set a vision relative to the market and customers and not just financials. Set realistic expectations on achieving that vision. Then create an environment where people are trusted, encouraged, and allowed to succeed.

long enough

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Palm Bay, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Bay, FL

I have been working at Harris for more than 10 years

Pros

Great 9/80 schedule, lots of opportunities to gain a variety of experiences within one company.

Cons

bureaucratic and political culture gets in the way, always bumping up against the glass ceiling, if you don't fit the mold of engineer, you can succeed, but your path will be bumpy!

PSPC is disorganized and folks in the field are left hanging...

Former Employee - Network Planning Engineer
    Former Employee - Network Planning Engineer

I worked at Harris full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits are great and some folks are great to work with in PSPC. The best parts of PSPC are the parts inherited from Harris as a whole (benefits, leave, etc.).

Cons

PSPC has a lot of challenges - they're not interested in the quality of their products, only getting the products shipped out of the door and the sale closed. They'll spend a lot of time and money fixing problems in the field instead of resolving them before things ship. This includes software updates to currently shipping products. Something can be rolling along great and then you deploy a software update to fix a bug and fix the one thing, but break two others. This kills anyone with pride in their work and what they are representing in front of the customers. They're also getting cheap with regards to hotels, flights and rental cars for their traveling field employees. And we're not talking about keeping people out of the Ritz - they're not letting you stay in the Hilton Garden Inn. You won't get substantial salary increases year-for-year, so be sure to negotiate an annual performance bonus so that your hard work is recognized. To work hard, satisfy customers and deal with the PSPC product problems and politics, receiving a 1% raise for what is considered "high performer" work is a slap in the face. This organization is sales driven, and it shows.

If you focus on quality, simple products out of the gate, the sales will follow. Keep your customers happy and the sales will follow. Don't focus on the sales and figure things will work out - that's what keeps you in the news for product problems regularly (i.e. Las Vegas Metro PD)

Worked for Harris? Contribute to the Community!