Harris Teeter

Harris Teeter Reviews in Charlotte, NC

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Harris Teeter CEO, Kroger Rodney McMullen

Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Bonus checks depending on hours worked (in 32 reviews)

• Good pay for the amount of work you do (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • poor communication within the store management to their employees (in 23 reviews)

• Customer service micro-manages the front-end employees down to their bathroom breaks (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights
81 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Job

Customer Service Clerk (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsBonus Checks, the ability to move up within the company is there, yearly price-of-living raises for part-timers and yearly evaluation raises for full-timers.

ConsCommunication between corporate and store level is not as good as it should be. The technology (( registers and equipment )) is extremely outdated. Wanting rules to be enforced, unless the customer is unhappy then to heck with the rules.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpgrade the Registers and software used. Communicate better to the stores. And stay consistent. Get rid of rules/guidelines that are constantly waived for reasons of 'customer satisfaction'. What is the point of them if they are always waived?

The employees never seem to have a bad day.

Assistant Dairy Frozen Manager (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsI like how much training is involved in learning the grocery/ perishable industry. They really make sure you have a good mentor, and are ready for the next level before promoting you.

ConsEven if you have an advanced degree, you have to start at the bottom and work your way up. Also, working in the stores doesn't easily translate to working in the corporate office, even if you have a degree in business or IT.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the store managers are doing a great job. It can be very stressful on the front-lines, so I only suggest that they try to stay happy at work. Negative attitudes trickle down faster than happy ones, and bad attitudes can have tremendous effects on sales.

Terrible work environment

Cashier (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsI really can't think of anything to put here, other than I enjoyed most of my coworkers!

ConsWhere do I begin. Well first of all, the pay is crap! I worked there for two years and went from making $7.25 an hour to making $8.05 an hour. This company is making so much money and yet they can't afford to pay their workers a decent wage. I went to Whole Foods after HT and the lowest they will pay anyone is $11 an hour, including baggers and dishwashers.

The management was also organized very poorly and was made up of idiots. It was pretty demoralizing working for people that would make fifth graders look smart. I'm sure this isn't the case at every store, but it certainly was at the three I worked at.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees much more and try promoting competent people instead of the bros and the attractive women.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My job made me work and I was able to loss 15 pounds which I liked

Overnight Third Shift Stock Person (Former Employee) Indian Land, SC

ProsMe working 3rd shift really worked out great with my family. I was able to finish on time and get home and pick-up my Niece and take her to her job.

ConsThe only con is the nights that the floors were cleaned and waxed. I could not do my job and when they finished I would to try to get all the displays back where they came from in the store.

Advice to Senior ManagementStarting back at the Distribution Center if workers could take the time to palletize the grocerys as to how they are used in the store. That would save an 1.5 - 2 hours restacking the grocerys in the receiving dept. for the right aisle to restock.

Great place to work, very fun and enjoyable.

Customer Service Clerk (Current Employee) Monroe, NC

ProsThe best reason to work here is the people I really enjoy seeing the regulars come back week after week. I also enjoy helping customers it makes me feel good seeing them walk away with a simile knowing that I just served them excellent customer service.

ConsThe only bad thing about Harris Teeter is the pay as a customer service clerk there are alot of duties to perform and I don't believe that making $8.20 is enough

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe that management should understand how much that we actually work and appreciate it a little bit more. I can tell that the managers that were former customer service managers appreciate us clerks more than a manager that has came from a different position. I also believe to be a manager, that they should be able to perform almost every single function in the store, but most of the time managers can't hardly do anything on the front end except for the basics.

Corporate is Outdated but Changing

Information Systems (Former Employee) Matthews, NC

ProsVery nice people at the corporate office, although the long term employees were cliquish. The Kroger acquisition is changing things.

ConsCorporate IT is behind the times in processes, tools and methodology, despite a pretty good PMO, but with the Kroger acquisition, things are changing.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your Corporate office staff like the professionals they are. Requiring a doctor's note for illnesses, giving minimal PTO like the stores get, using paper checks for bonuses for last-minute pull back, and immediately escorting out someone who tenders a 2-week notice are all petty power plays that alienate your biggest assets.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Wonderful

Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsHarris Teeter has a lot of potential for growth. They really care about their associates and really make them feel appreciated. The pay and benefits are very fair as well.

ConsThe grocery business can be very stressful because of the inevitable unpredictability of the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think they need to look into the current hiring practices. I really enjoy working for Harris Teeter and feel that I'm a good fit. However, I feel like they don't always hire the right people. I believe that it is very important to really focus on hiring personable associates who truly enjoy working with others. I feel like a lot of the individuals that get hired into entry level positions are not fit for Harris Teeter. Those people turn out to be rude and antisocial. They make customers and other associates uncomfortable and ultimately affect the morale of the stores they are working in. Whats worse, is that they often end up being promoted into management positions. I think that it is important to be selective when accepting associates into management training because not everyone is fit to lead. I have had the pleasure of working with some of the most wonderful managers who have helped me grow as an associate and as an individual. Unfortunately, I have also worked with managers who did the opposite. The latter are the ones who have the power to not only push away good employees, but ultimately the customers too. I have been with the company for a long time and it is a huge part of my life. It is very disappointing when customers tell me they avoid certain stores because of the management and rude associates. Harris Teeter prides itself on great customer service so we need to hire individuals who value that.

Great company, but retail can become overwhelming.

Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsCompetitive pay for retail/grocery, flexible scheduling, opportunities for growth if interested.

ConsRETAIL, customer is always right which can affect morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more time to understand your employees. Develop a career track for those interested in growing with the company.

Love customer service

Uncan Operator (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsI enjoy helping others and meeting new people everyday.

ConsHaving customers who come in on having a bad day , but cheering them up and conversating with them about any topics which will make they day.

Advice to Senior ManagementI love the employee of the month adwards and apprecaition for being with the company, they will train you for advancements, bonus every 6 months and educations scholorship

Fun place to work if you are driven by money.

Assistant Inventory Manager (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsIf you like shopping at Harris Teeter, then you would love the employee discounts.

ConsJust like all companies, customer satisfaction is one of their number one priorities.

Advice to Senior ManagementStore manager stresses out the manager in charge of the crew, including the assistant managers...who also stresses out the assistant manager of the crew...who also stresses out the crew. Can't lie, but work was stressful most of the time especially when you have to compete with time.

Worked for Harris Teeter? Contribute to the Community!