Harris Teeter

Updated January 21, 2015
3.3

Harris Teeter CEO, Kroger Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • bonus checks are great, very family friendly, good training (in 38 reviews)

• I had a great time working with everyone except any of the customer service managers (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • poor communication within the store management to their employees (in 29 reviews)

• Customer service micro-manages the front-end employees down to their bathroom breaks (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

102 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

great company to work for

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter

Pros

retirement benefits , health insurance benefits.flexible hours...

Cons

part-time employment doesnt have the same perks as full-time

have patience when training new hires

A flexible part-time employment experience

Current Employee - Cashier/U-Scan Cashier in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Cashier/U-Scan Cashier in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours and scheduling, with the added benefit of online viewing of schedules, as well as the ability to request time off of work online and adjust availability as needed. It's a very easy process to work with management about concerns with scheduling, and I've never had a problem with communicating needs with management.

Cons

As is common with service-industry jobs, the work can get pretty bland and repetitive, and it's a lot of working on your feet, but you're not exactly performing manual labor, unless to a lesser extent you're out getting carts during a peak time of the work day.

Things aren't always greener on the other side...

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk & Produce Clerk in Fort Mill, SC
    Former Employee - Grocery Clerk & Produce Clerk in Fort Mill, SC

I worked at Harris Teeter (less than an year)

Pros

Steelecroft/Steelecreek, NC Location - Produce Clerk - STORE management outstanding people. Great group. Store is high volume. Higher end store to work for. Great Company Values. Biggest "pro" - store managers that know how to manage and treat employees with great respect.

Fort Mill, SC Location...Midnight Shift Grocery Clerk - Everyone I encountered were such a joy to be around. From store management all they way down the line. That store gives new meaning to the term "Southern Hospitality" Would go back in a heart beat.

Cons

Steelecroft/Steelecreek - Produce department management team is arrogant as well as 95% of the employees that work in department. Very clicky & immature group of "children" in that department. 1 manager and 2 supervisors with 6-7 employees under them...Schools dont even have that kind of ratio. All 3 extremely unprofessional and tend to abuse thier "manager/supervisory" titles. Quit HT very abruptly with full remorse because of it.

Fort Mill, SC - Working midnight shift, not getting full time and pay rate not wonderful for the very hard work we did, under staffed.

Steelecroft/Steelecreek Location - I STONGLY suggest splitting the produce management team up. 3 managers/supervisors in one department most times working all at the same time seems like a waste of HT resources. Transfer one or 2 out of there and bring in one assistant. A mature experienced assistant that knows how to supervisor. Knows PEOPLE, not just how to stock produce foods. The UPPER store managers are AWESOME and know how to motivate and give credit where credit is due. I hated quitting there but that produce department team and most of the staff need to be split up. Its like being in 7th grade working in the produce department

Fort Mill, SC - You have strictly night crew for the grocery departnent. I suggest hiring 2 day shift staff to fill back stock, provide customer service to shoppers and to ensure the isles are always blocked. I would come back without question if you would consider Full time 1st shift staff even at the $10 per hour I was making there...loved that store. Give me a call if that can happen ��

Enjpyable but at times it is way too slow, I like to stay busy.

Current Employee - Customer Service in Concord, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Concord, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not stressful, working with people, employees are very friendly. I still get to work as a supervisor over the cashiers and baggers

Cons

It is not challenging, I didn't get a raise when I was promoted to customer service. They will not hire full time. I don't get enough hours A lot of teenagers work there but they are so lazy and nobody says anything to them

Give raise as employs move up. Confront employees that are lazy and do not do their jobs/

Can be a great place to work, but politics is the name of the game. Who you know not what you know

Current Employee - Assistant Customer Service Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Assistant Customer Service Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Love my customers! 10% discount on store brands.

Cons

Random schedules and some managers play favorites

Be more open and remember to thank your associates more

Dairy/Frozen clerk

Former Employee - Frozen Dairy Clerk in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Frozen Dairy Clerk in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Its an ok place to work. Its retail so what can expect. Typical long days, some boring, some fast pased. The freezer can be cold. Especially when you start your shift and haven't warmed up yet.

Cons

Hours are never at your convince.

loosen up. don't be so tight. Employees work better

Good Experience

Current Employee - Cashier in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Cashier in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good work hours, great pay for me, works with your availability. Not too much stress. My store is great to me. Management in my store is kind.

Cons

Biggest, being understaffed often, especially on weekends. I sometimes don't like the on-calls.

Don't be too cheap. My store has a high turnover rate, so try to retain employees. Try to higher college folks and beyond. Some high school kids are somewhat lazy to work hard.

Good 1st job

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Huntersville, NC
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Huntersville, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management is nice, good about giving your requested time off. They work around my college schedule.

Cons

Managers don't respond to your request can make for difficult situations with customers.

Schedule more front end management to help the cashiers. And hire baggers if you want us to go faster.

Pleasant and relaxing

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Waxhaw, NC
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Waxhaw, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The store I work at has a very relaxed environment, friendly staff that I can call my friends and almost like family. All wonderful people, except for one crazy annoying guy. Decent start pay for high schoolers and college kids with half year bonuses depending on how well your store does over all which is pretty cool.

Cons

Seems a bit hard to progress up the ladder, seems like it's more about who you know as well as work preformance. So for hard working introverts, it will be hard.

Honestly nothing bad to say. Except at times I've had a manager come across condescending which pissed me off.

Not my cup of tea

Former Employee - Harris Teeter Cashier in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Harris Teeter Cashier in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They have pretty good benefits and they are very thorough with customer service. They provided quick and easy training that made you feel prepared for the job

Cons

Not many cons. It really varies from store to store. I guess my only con is that they don't actually fire you, they just stop putting you on schedule without much of an explanation