Harris Teeter

Updated September 3, 2014
3.2

Harris Teeter CEO, Kroger Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Bonus checks depending on hours worked (in 32 reviews)

• Good pay for the amount of work you do (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • poor communication within the store management to their employees (in 23 reviews)

• Customer service micro-manages the front-end employees down to their bathroom breaks (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

87 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Front End Cashier, Bagger, U-SCAN Cashier

Former Employee - Front End Cashier  in  Huntersville, NC
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Huntersville, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible scheduling, fun people to work with. Good part-time job for high schoolers. Offered a program where students who went off to college could come back on breaks and holidays.

Cons

Could be overly boring during slow nights. Management made you stand at the end of your register and basically do nothing when there were no chores, and talking to co-workers was frowned upon during these down times.

High-End Grocery Store That Has World Class Expectations Of Employees While Paying Sub-Middle Class Wages

Current Employee - Third Shift Stocker  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Third Shift Stocker in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

+Company Profit Sharing and Medical Plans even for part-time employees, something that I have never seen elsewhere.
    +Promotes positive attitudes among employees and emphasizes customer service
    +Great stability and company growth
    +Allows "empowerment" to its employees in being able to solve customer service issues without micro-management
    +Has a consistent organized structure that allows transferred employees to easily acclimate to new stores

Cons

--Embarrassingly low pay. Despite being a renowned grocer on the echelon of Wegman's, Publix, and Market Basket, Harris Teeter's pay rate is significantly lower, on par with chains like Food Lion. I once applied to transfer to another store that would allow me to work 3rd Shift, and despite the hiring manager and I having an instant rapport, he balked at paying my "high" rate of 9.50/hr, saying that most of his full-time 3rd shift stockers were in the range of about 8.00/hr.
    How can anyone make a living on that kind of salary? Especially after the deduction of medical benefits and taxes?
    Embarrassing.
    --Shamelessly anti-union, although that's to be expected of a company headquartered in the most union-unfriendly state in the union. It's made worse however by the fact it has a reputation of offering "generous" benefits to its employees.
    --Blatant cronyism in terms of store management. Terrible store and department managers are either protected (if they are in with the right people) or shuffled around until they are frustrated enough to quit. In meanwhile, the employees under them are made to suffer under these petty despots.
    Being a good-looking blonde woman is a fast-track to upper management even if you have the worst personality or have absolutely no idea how to do your job.
    --Store management will never, ever take the side of an employee against a manager unless you somehow have immaculate evidence that even Batman couldn't find a flaw with.
    --Many store managers are far more absorbed in their own bonuses and advancement in the company than anything else at all dealing with their own store, company, or employees.

Don't forget that your workers are customers as well--your most IMPORTANT customers.
    If you actually treated your employees as well as you do your other customers, HT would be the best retail chain in America.

Good program, but didn't feel appreciated.

Former Employee - Cake Decorator  in  Huntersville, NC
    Former Employee - Cake Decorator in Huntersville, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time for less than a year

Pros

customers expect high quality, training program is adequate, managers take their job seriously

Cons

lack of professionalism, perks, creativity

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't judge a book by its cover

Current Employee - Third Shift Grocery Stock  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Third Shift Grocery Stock in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits "if you're full time" Opportunities to advance "if you know the right people." as a part timer, never went below 20 hours so I guess that's good for $10 hr for a 3rd shifter. They really try to motivate you to suceed... hmm..

Cons

-They do not hire enough people, you can be scheduled from 10pm-6am and when you try to leave at 6 you're told "You can't leave until said job and area is done" Which there is no policy in their handbook or any rule that states they can. Sometimes you don't get a break or the manager/supervisors who usually have no idea what they're doing just talk over you and keep telling you what to do next . No gratitude whatsoever, personally I spent and went the extra mile to make an aisle look perfect, all my supervisor could do (mind you only there for 1.5 weeks ) Is how I should have done it over an hour ago, that I'm too slow, and I need to move faster (yet the other 1-3 people who work grocery move like slugs and don't get a thing said to them. The Favoritism is absolutely smack dab obvious, the managers seem to have no clue most times. Try to reason with them that you don't think your in the best spot, they tell you to apply to another position (but don't really help you further than that.) You get overworked and never thanked, or appreciated for it. Basically when interviewed and hired they give you a song and dance about how they strive to be the best, maybe to customers, but the way they treat their employees, I would more expect from walmart than a company that strives to be friendly and customer and equal work zone oriented. I have only been working for 2 weeks and not one real positive thing to say than besides what is on the paper or their advertisments!

Here is my advice to management, Learn how to treat your employees a heck of a lot better for what they punch in and do for you every day/night. When I come in to work, and I deal with others, I am friendly as can be, I was raised to treat customers, workmates like you would family, make them comfortable, for a company that bases itself on "Diversity" you are the farthest thing from it. I know Kroeger bought Harris Teeter over, and Publix has come into town. Nailing people for doctors notes calling in sick.. How ridiculous, ever stop and think maybe the employee who called in has no insurance? and can't afford to see a doctor? or maybe they are being courteous and not wanting to come in and contaminate the products your so kindly selling to your customers? no and I think this is a serious problem. I am not one to usually be a stickler or nitpick, but the two weeks I have been with the company , it has been nothing but nightmares. No one should have the sense of dread or uneasy ill feeling when they have to come work for you, Yes work should be work but, there's a difference between hard work, and cracking a whip and not ever saying thank you. Some companies have a bad store or some stores have a bad manager, but please for future reference, Take your employees concerns and needs more seriously, don't ignore them, Customers are important, but so are the employees who put in hour after hour, spending some of the money they broke their backs and butts for to keep your company profiting, learn how to treat them like human beings and not work mules . Please consider restructuring, and retraining your management especially in people skills!

I'd expect this behavior from juveniles, not professionals, take some lessons from the people at corporate or the ones who run the 4 hour classes you send your employees to, I will say those people who ran my class were amazing, and wish I could work in their stores they seem nice!

It can be stressful, has its ups and downs.

Current Employee - Customer Service Clerk/Cashier  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Clerk/Cashier in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time for more than a year

Pros

Become close to the other employees
    Bonus Check
    10% discount on HT brand items

Cons

Not enough people are scheduled during rush hour
    No one is getting a decent amount of hours
    No baggers, they just have cashiers running around trying to get closing duties done while trying to run a register at the same time

A. Schedule enough people to cover the front end
    B. Have at least 3 registers open at all times from 10:00am-9:00pm

Interesting

Former Employee - Cashier/U-Scan Cashier  in  Indian Trail, NC
    Former Employee - Cashier/U-Scan Cashier in Indian Trail, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good chance for advancement, good incentives and benefits. There is also a good chance to do more things in store than just work a register, you can work in many different departments

Cons

The part-time hours vary weekly and it's hard to make a living on the lack of hours

Give more regular hours to the faithful workers who come in on time and go above and beyond

Great Job

Current Employee - Customer Service Clerk  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Bonus Checks, the ability to move up within the company is there, yearly price-of-living raises for part-timers and yearly evaluation raises for full-timers.

Cons

Communication between corporate and store level is not as good as it should be. The technology (( registers and equipment )) is extremely outdated. Wanting rules to be enforced, unless the customer is unhappy then to heck with the rules.

Upgrade the Registers and software used. Communicate better to the stores. And stay consistent. Get rid of rules/guidelines that are constantly waived for reasons of 'customer satisfaction'. What is the point of them if they are always waived?

The employees never seem to have a bad day.

Current Employee - Assistant Dairy Frozen Manager  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Assistant Dairy Frozen Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time for less than a year

Pros

I like how much training is involved in learning the grocery/ perishable industry. They really make sure you have a good mentor, and are ready for the next level before promoting you.

Cons

Even if you have an advanced degree, you have to start at the bottom and work your way up. Also, working in the stores doesn't easily translate to working in the corporate office, even if you have a degree in business or IT.

I think the store managers are doing a great job. It can be very stressful on the front-lines, so I only suggest that they try to stay happy at work. Negative attitudes trickle down faster than happy ones, and bad attitudes can have tremendous effects on sales.

Terrible work environment

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Cashier in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time for more than a year

Pros

I really can't think of anything to put here, other than I enjoyed most of my coworkers!

Cons

Where do I begin. Well first of all, the pay is crap! I worked there for two years and went from making $7.25 an hour to making $8.05 an hour. This company is making so much money and yet they can't afford to pay their workers a decent wage. I went to Whole Foods after HT and the lowest they will pay anyone is $11 an hour, including baggers and dishwashers.

The management was also organized very poorly and was made up of idiots. It was pretty demoralizing working for people that would make fifth graders look smart. I'm sure this isn't the case at every store, but it certainly was at the three I worked at.

Pay your employees much more and try promoting competent people instead of the bros and the attractive women.

Great place to work, very fun and enjoyable.

Current Employee - Customer Service Clerk  in  Monroe, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Monroe, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best reason to work here is the people I really enjoy seeing the regulars come back week after week. I also enjoy helping customers it makes me feel good seeing them walk away with a simile knowing that I just served them excellent customer service.

Cons

The only bad thing about Harris Teeter is the pay as a customer service clerk there are alot of duties to perform and I don't believe that making $8.20 is enough

I believe that management should understand how much that we actually work and appreciate it a little bit more. I can tell that the managers that were former customer service managers appreciate us clerks more than a manager that has came from a different position. I also believe to be a manager, that they should be able to perform almost every single function in the store, but most of the time managers can't hardly do anything on the front end except for the basics.

Worked for Harris Teeter? Contribute to the Community!