Harris Teeter

Harris Teeter Reviews

Updated Apr 9, 2014

Harris Teeter President Fred Morganthall II

Fred Morganthall II

Pros:
  • "Bonus checks depending on hours worked"
    in 29 reviews
  • "Profit Sharing, better than minimum wage pay, decent benefits even for part time"
    in 26 reviews
Cons:
  • "poor communication within the store management to their employees"
    in 21 reviews
  • "Customer service micro-manages the front-end employees down to their bathroom breaks"
    in 18 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good Company

Assistant Customer Service Manager (Former Employee)
Raleigh, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter full-time for less than a year

ProsGood Health Care benefits, Great with working around a school schedule, Very customer service orientated. Probably the best retail grocery company to work for. Tons of available staff in the stores

ConsNot much room for progression in the company once you reach a certain level. Tons of training involved which can become extremely repetitive.

Assistant Manager

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time for more than a year

ProsTraining - in depth - anything you could want/need from on-hands training to financials. Really invest the time in you (but you have to drive YOUR training)

No problem with expectations that 'you come early and stay late'

ConsSystems are antiquated! Hopefully with Kroger partnership there will be an update in the IT.

It takes TOO LONG to move under-performing associates

Would like to utilize all the training and experience gained in day to day operations -

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many hands in the pot! Why do all levels of management get involved (from department supervisors all the way to RVPs) in the most basic of processes?

Wonderful company to work for.

I have been working at Harris Teeter

ProsThis company works with you and they try to make your job as enjoyable as they possibly can. You also get recognized for the good work you do.

ConsThe company needs to really take a look at some of their managers. Some of them really don't treat their employees like they should.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great Atmosphere

Customer Service Clerk (Current Employee)

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible Scheduling
Great with students
Treat you like family

ConsHours are often cut drastically so be a great financial planner. Inconsistency with management and policies

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more training (to employees and management) in order for everyone to have the same understanding and allow time for employee meetings

Great first job.

Starbucks (Current Employee)
Fort Mill, SC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time for less than a year

ProsHarris Teeter empowers employees to make decisions. I started out at $8.50 an hour. The company matches 401k contributions. They also work well with availability changes.

ConsHarris Teeter doen not let us keep our tips. We are not sure what they do with our tips.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your employees informed about store activities and promotions.

Maybe better than some grocery stores, but not even close to the best store I've worked at

Cashier (Former Employee)
Norfolk, VA

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time for less than a year

ProsTheir stores are nice and clean. The other employees also seemed very nice, as did some managers (not all). Their 4% retirement fund matching is better than many chains offer.

ConsThey did not pay very well compared to other grocery stores. I was offered a dollar over minimum wage (less than I had been making at a competitor) and they needed store manager approval to pay me that much. That was more my issue than the pay itself, that such a minimal amount needed higher approval seemed ridiculous.

Their training materials seemed very heavy on associate dishonesty and the fact that their cameras are always watching. I did not get the impression they trusted their employees at all.

Also, cashiers were expected to be on call one day a week, meaning that you must call in at a certain time and they will then tell you if you have to work that day. I'd never heard of this in a retail environment, especially for a position like cashier.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe way you treat employees (expecting them to be on call, treating them with suspicion, not being flexible/understanding) is not going to create loyal employees. Your competitors that are beating you (like Publix, Whole Foods, Trader Joes) treat their employees much better and that goes a long way.

Too snobby for me

Assistant Customer Service Manager (Current Employee)
Williamsburg, VA

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time for less than a year

ProsExcellent pay, and good hours.

ConsSnobby customers. Harsh managers, especially the assistant store managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet control over your stores.

great part time job while in college

I have been working at Harris Teeter

Prosgreat part time job while in college

Conswill bend over backwards for customers which leads to inconsistency and them taking advantage

At the mercy of scheduling

I have been working at Harris Teeter

ProsAt least it is higher than minimum wage, but the scheduling was erratic, they expect you to be available 49 hours a week, but only schedule you for 8 of 12. Virtually impossible to maintain a second part time job.

ConsThe customers are for the most part, good to work with. The other employees on my shifts never seemed to get promoted, nor did I. Outsiders always filled in openings.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you promise one a promotion or raise, keep your word, or explain why.

Mediocre at best

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPay is good. Benefits are benefits.

ConsHardly any afterlife balance. Some managers are &^%$

Advice to Senior ManagementBe original in material. Don't copy other business's way of thinking.

Worked for Harris Teeter? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Harris Teeter reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Harris Teeter CEO Fred Morganthall II. All 328 reviews posted anonymously by Harris Teeter employees.