Harris Teeter

Harris Teeter Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Harris Teeter CEO, Kroger Rodney McMullen

Rodney McMullen

Pros:
  • "Bonus checks depending on hours worked"
    in 29 reviews
  • "Profit sharing bonus twice a year"
    in 28 reviews
Cons:
  • "poor communication within the store management to their employees"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Customer service micro-manages the front-end employees down to their bathroom breaks"
    in 20 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

This is a good job if looking for something in between jobs or for benefit reasons.

Deli Clerk (Former Employee)
    Hilton Head Island, SC

ProsThe good portions of working with this company are the laid back on time policies and management usually deal with the stocking of all product.

ConsSome of the cons for working with this company are forward move my within the company is very limited and hard to accomplish with out spending a considerable amount of time there.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe advice I would give to management is to promote more within. Other than that management was consistent.

Assistant Customer Service Manager

Assistant Customer Service Manager (Current Employee)

ProsIts always said that Harris Teeter attracts a specific type of customer and this is true. Our customers demand a lot for us and its a daily challenge to be able to deliver on whatever the request may be. I like being challenged rather than being stuck in a repetitive grind.

ConsI was given 6 days notice before they transferred me to a store over 50 miles away from my home (which by policy they should have helped me move to the new city, but they didn't). My pay rate is so low that I've resorted to having to keep multiple part time jobs just to make ends meet. My store director lacks compassion and empathy for his employees and can't see details that make up the big picture. The moral of the entire store has gone down and it shows in the effectiveness of each department.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to keep the store managers from hiding in their office. If the front end needs help because we don't have the labor, then help us. Its counter productive to tell us to "manage labor" and then tell the store management team that they are not allowed to do certain things in a department that has greatly helped in the past. We are a team, stop treating us like a conquered territory that you must keep down to remain in control of.

Great training

Assistant Fresh Foods Manager (Current Employee)

ProsAmazing training programs compared to previous employers. Very number oriented so you learn alot about the business aspect of the business even only being an assistant, very organized, as much as retail can get anyways.

ConsThe store I am at is awful, you see other managers try so hard to do their best but can't get anything accomplished because of the moral of store and alot of no calls no shows due to poor hiring.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire better people!!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Review

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Fairfax, VA

ProsStarter salary is nice.

ConsWork is tedious at times.

Amazing.

Cashier-Bagger (Former Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsThey don't skimp on hours.

ConsIt is a grocery store.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being awesome.

Great Company to work for!

Co-Manager (Current Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

ProsGreat Pay and benefits if you can deal with the typical retail hours and shifts

ConsTypical retail management hours and shifts.

Advice to Senior ManagementWell run company

good

Prosthey were very flexible with scheduling

Conswas paid just above minimum wage

The good, the bad, and the ugly

Department Management (Current Employee)

ProsCo-works: most of your co-workings being management to baggers are good people like their jobs and are generally fun to work with.

Customers: for the most part are what makes working here a big bonus. The regulars are the best.

Pay: while could be better is still pretty good compared to similar companies.

Together in education program

Only salary management can tell a customer NO

ConsUnrealistic expectations vers. man hours.

To many cooks in the kitchen: dept managers, store managers, training specialists, HR, LP, DMs, corp. seriously... I mean seriously... You have your dept mgrs who try to work within the system. But, get road blocked by store management who wants to line their pockets so they "manage labor" or whatever else they can do to save money. You have the training specialists that are in charge of individual departments for around 20 or more stores who have a rough idea about what's going on in their stores. Whom appear to have more power then the store management cause they spend more time with HR, LP, DMs, and corp so they can override store management by going to 1 of the 4 fore mentioned groups. And that might make the problem better or worse cause the store management might ignore what the specialist wants done because their pulling numbers and making money for the company. Great idea on paper doesn't work with egos and numbers.

It's not what you know it's who you know: I know dept mgrs who are friends with people in corp. that for a better term get away with murder. I have witnessed managers say things on the front end in front of customers to other asso./managers that are so morally bankrupt and ethically immoral get customer complaints for their actions and instead of being terminated get transferred to higher column stores closer to their homes... All because it's who they know.

Constant fear of LP/dept audits, "corp/DM visits", being documented for poor job performance while performing within or above company policies.

Store directors: most don't care about anything but their pockets. Yearly bonus... With Kroger taking over they lost around 2/3 of it until next year. Only work the opening shift (6am-4pm) so they don't experience what is happening in their stores in the late afternoons evens. Spend their full shift in their office behind their desk doing "paper work" and not sticking their heads out of their office to know what's going on in their store. This all being said there are a few that make working for this company worth working for.

Co-managers that play favorite and treating everyone else like they are less then human second class citizens.

Customers: most know the policies better then the employees. When you adhere to policy you're expected to break policy to go above and beyond to keep the customers happy because you're fearful that if you don't you'll get a customer complaint that corp. wants to know why you didn't break established policy. Which in turns you get written up for.

Only salary management can tell the customer NO: while in theory this is a great practice. In reality this isn't what's done. Store management expects the department managers to handle customers so they have very little to no contact with them.

HR is a joke. You are expected to talk to your dept manager or store manager if you have an issue, no matter the issue. However if the store management or dept manager is the issue HR still wants you to talk to them and if you haven't they don't want to hear about it.

Corp/DMs unapproachable... Literally, if they don't start a conversation with you, you're expected not to talk to them. If you do talk to them out of turn you might be written up or terminated for being disrespectful.

Bonuses: Two annual bonuses that amount to around a pay check and a half unless you're a dept manager(not ast dept mgr mind you) or salary manager who get a couple thousand after taxes for very little customer interaction.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more realistic expectations on labor. You want to be the best in customer service then don't "manage labor" down to the point that it's affecting store moral or productivity.

Remove the horrible store management for managers that work and care about their asso. and
    customers.

This list is to long for what needs fixing.

Strong company with good products.

Fresh Foods Manager (Current Employee)
    Charleston, SC

ProsCompany values good quality and safety, with lots of training for managers.

ConsCustomer service is a high priority, but labor hours are designed to squeeze so much productivity out of each associate, that almost no time is left for managing and customer service.

Okay so far

Customer Service Clerk (Current Employee)

ProsYou do get bonuses twice a year depending on how well the stores sales are. If management see some potential in you, they will recommend you for more opportunities in the store.

ConsComing from a competitor and having over 15 years experience, I thought that I would have gotten a better pay rate.

Worked for Harris Teeter? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Harris Teeter reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Harris Teeter CEO Rodney McMullen. All 371 reviews posted anonymously by Harris Teeter employees.