Harris Teeter

www.harristeeter.com

Harris Teeter Reviews in Leesburg, VA

Harris Teeter CEO, Kroger Rodney McMullen

Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Bonus checks depending on hours worked(in 30 reviews)

• Good pay for the amount of work you do(in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • poor communication within the store management to their employees(in 23 reviews)

• Customer service micro-manages the front-end employees down to their bathroom breaks(in 21 reviews)

2 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

WORST ENVIRONMENT I EVER WORKED IN

Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) Leesburg, VA

ProsHarris Teeter is a great place to shop. The stores are clean. Employees get occasional discounts with purchase of certain items.

ConsHarris Teeter does not give department management the support needed to do their jobs. Their saying is, "We give you the tools, you have to use them". This would be great if it were true. Their idea of "tools" is watching videos and attending occasional meetings with the Front End Specialist. These meetings amount to no more than reading over memos and having lunch. When I asked for guidance on specific issues I never got feedback. I don't think they knew what to do either. One week you're told that you better spend some time getting your paperwork in order (schedules, audits, reviews, etc). The next week you're told that you better not be caught in the office, because you're supposed to be on the sales floor.

Positive feedback is not given. You only hear something when it's about what you need to improve. They try to sound like they care about the associates, but in reality it is only lip service. Managers are expected to manage by fear. I was told on many occasions to tell associates that they could leave if they didn't like the way something was handled. The expectations are unrealistic. I spent more time trying to make sure all the i's were dotted and the t's were crossed for audits than providing service to my customers. You are expected to post for any CSM position that is open, but they already know who they're putting in a store. Store Managers have to go through the motions of interviewing, but they don't even get the final say on who they get.

This is the worst environment I have ever worked in. It's a shame, because the stores are very nice. Their commitment to customer service sounds great on paper, but the way they try to achieve it is severely lacking. I've had a few great store managers, but most of them leave. They're as frustrated and beaten down as the rest of us. Yes, the money is good, but it's not worth it in the end. I could go on and on, but time and space does not permit. Just be glad you found this web site so you could be warned in advance. I wish I had.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to value your people. I think the company as a whole has good intentions. The management on the Corporate and Divisional level in Northern Virginia are the ones who are creating this toxic environment. At least I hope that's the case. I would hate to think that the entire company is like this. Re-evaluate the audit process. Simplify the process so your associates can take care of customers instead of taking care of your paperwork.

No Life, No Respect, Anxiety Driven Job

Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) Leesburg, VA

ProsThe pay is very good compared to other companies with similar jobs.

ConsThis is the worst company I have ever had to opportunity to work for. Sure the pay is good, however, the impact it has on your personal life is not worth it. Often, senior management talks with two mouths, one saying what should be done, but looking the other way, to get things done.
    An example is their policy for working off the clock. No one is to work off the clock accourding to Harris Teeter poicy. However, taking work home (needing to complete a constant deludge of reports) is overlooked. The constant phone calls from management or employees needing help or questions needing answered, is overlooked. Another example is their so called training program. It is policy that no one help associates work on these on line tests that are designed to help you understand your job. However, you are pressured by senior staff (from the local home office down through store management to get the testing done. It is common practice that someone check over answers or sit with an associate while their test is taking place. And as for testing, there are so many test and repeating tests, it is almost impossible to keep up without giving or getting assistance.

Bonuses are a joke. When you are in the hiring process, they paint a picture of huge bonuses. What they don't discuss is the constant fines and audits that take place which levy heavily against your bonus potential. You would expect this as a way to measure performance, however, the tasks and expectations expected are unoptainable. And in the last year, expectations, pressure and labor constraints have gotten worse.

Lastly, an occasional pat on the back for a job well done would be nice. I think it must be policy by Senior Management to refrain from complimenting their associates. If a job is completed, no matter how well you had completed it, you are only doing your job. In fact, it is often followed by raising the bar higher. Harris Teeter has caused me and my family stress and anxiety that is hard to imagine. That is why I had to leave. I am now working for a company that I enjoy going to work for everyday. Thanks Harris Teeter for showing me what not to do with my associates and what to look for in companys when searching for a job.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to look at the your own practices, and follow up policies without looking the other way when it benefits you. Let people know when they have done a great job once in a while. Senior Plane visits do not help operations. It only causes anxiety, overtime and continued stress, fearing what will be said or found. Never is a visit good. As it is often said by Management at Harris Teeter, "if nothing is said, that's a good thing. If you hear something, it is because a situation or problem has been found and that is bad." It is so sad that the philosophy of management concentraits on problems or mistakes rather then highlight good performance while helping find solutions for problems found. Wake up! Haven't you seen enough good, competent associates leave? Why do you think your retention rate is so low?

Worked for Harris Teeter? Contribute to the Community!