Harris Teeter

Harris Teeter Reviews in North Carolina

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Harris Teeter CEO, Kroger Rodney McMullen

Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Bonus checks depending on hours worked(in 30 reviews)

• Good pay for the amount of work you do(in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • poor communication within the store management to their employees(in 23 reviews)

• Customer service micro-manages the front-end employees down to their bathroom breaks(in 21 reviews)

165 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work, very fun and enjoyable.

Customer Service Clerk (Current Employee) Monroe, NC

ProsThe best reason to work here is the people I really enjoy seeing the regulars come back week after week. I also enjoy helping customers it makes me feel good seeing them walk away with a simile knowing that I just served them excellent customer service.

ConsThe only bad thing about Harris Teeter is the pay as a customer service clerk there are alot of duties to perform and I don't believe that making $8.20 is enough

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe that management should understand how much that we actually work and appreciate it a little bit more. I can tell that the managers that were former customer service managers appreciate us clerks more than a manager that has came from a different position. I also believe to be a manager, that they should be able to perform almost every single function in the store, but most of the time managers can't hardly do anything on the front end except for the basics.

My work is always appreciated.

Back-Up Scanning Coordinator (Current Employee) Cary, NC

ProsThe managers are always great, the customers are awesome because they really value our goal at having the best customer service therefore they appreciate it and they show you. They pay above minimum wage, and there are 2 bonuses a year regardless of the economy. Even when it was dropping in 2008, the associates still got their checks because the people at corporate forfeited theirs. (The company cares!) Also, this was my first real job besides babysitting and I definitely have learned a lot.

ConsSometimes I feel like I'm doing more work than I'm getting paid for but isn't that the case almost everywhere?

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making such a big deal whether or not my sweater has the HT logo on it. It looks exactly the same as the one you sell, and unless you want to pay for my uniform, I am not going to buy it because I do not believe the customer cares as long as I have my name tag in obvious view.

Quite Pleasant

Fresh Foods Clerk (Current Employee) Boone, NC

ProsGood team work, friendly customers, friendly management.

ConsNot enough help at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people instead of grabbing people from other departments to fill in roles that are needed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice place to work at, but not forever.

Fresh Foods Clerk (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsThe work environment is clean and the people are friendly. The employee discount is nice as well.

ConsPay is not a lot. Expect just over minimum wage especially if you are only part-time. Sometimes it is hard to keep even above 20 hours per week.

8.75/hr..Bust your butt!!! Treated like dirt! High Turnover...

Produce Clerk (Former Employee) Burlington, NC

ProsNothing Really....Wait! 6 month bonuses a few hundred bucks.

ConsLow Pay...Only Part-Time 28 hrs max.....Full timers treated much better! Allowed to take breaks without getting the "stink eye".Not hiring full time....Regardless of how hard you work. North Carolina companies are notoriously brutal, mean, spirited and anti-union. Harris Teeter examplifies this all the way!! Don't shop here They suck!

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit being such butt kissing toadies...you're pitiful...Some people work hard!! Recognize that!

Corporate is Outdated but Changing

Information Systems (Former Employee) Matthews, NC

ProsVery nice people at the corporate office, although the long term employees were cliquish. The Kroger acquisition is changing things.

ConsCorporate IT is behind the times in processes, tools and methodology, despite a pretty good PMO, but with the Kroger acquisition, things are changing.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your Corporate office staff like the professionals they are. Requiring a doctor's note for illnesses, giving minimal PTO like the stores get, using paper checks for bonuses for last-minute pull back, and immediately escorting out someone who tenders a 2-week notice are all petty power plays that alienate your biggest assets.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Wonderful

Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsHarris Teeter has a lot of potential for growth. They really care about their associates and really make them feel appreciated. The pay and benefits are very fair as well.

ConsThe grocery business can be very stressful because of the inevitable unpredictability of the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think they need to look into the current hiring practices. I really enjoy working for Harris Teeter and feel that I'm a good fit. However, I feel like they don't always hire the right people. I believe that it is very important to really focus on hiring personable associates who truly enjoy working with others. I feel like a lot of the individuals that get hired into entry level positions are not fit for Harris Teeter. Those people turn out to be rude and antisocial. They make customers and other associates uncomfortable and ultimately affect the morale of the stores they are working in. Whats worse, is that they often end up being promoted into management positions. I think that it is important to be selective when accepting associates into management training because not everyone is fit to lead. I have had the pleasure of working with some of the most wonderful managers who have helped me grow as an associate and as an individual. Unfortunately, I have also worked with managers who did the opposite. The latter are the ones who have the power to not only push away good employees, but ultimately the customers too. I have been with the company for a long time and it is a huge part of my life. It is very disappointing when customers tell me they avoid certain stores because of the management and rude associates. Harris Teeter prides itself on great customer service so we need to hire individuals who value that.

good place to work

Frsh Foods Clerk (Former Employee) Greensboro, NC

ProsThere is good advancement opportunities for hard workers, the management cares about the associates and it is a nice clean work environment.

ConsVery hard work I the Fresh Foods Department. So many audits, mystery shops and upper management visits that it keeps everyone on edge so scared to mess up. Very tense work environment. Insurance for family coverage is so expensive it is ridiculous; hardly pays to work.

Good place for promotion, if you work hard.

Fresh Foods Manager (Current Employee) Winston-Salem, NC

ProsPromote from in-store as well as out. Profit sharing bonus twice a year. High training standards. Customer service is number one priority. Management does, on the whole, provide good back-up.Pay scale is very good.

ConsHours are cut drastically in slower months. Lots of "paperwork" to attend to hourly, daily and weekly. Inventory every month is very time consuming.Get any promise of raises in writing..I was offered $3 and hour more for stepping up from assistant to department manager, and got $1 !

Great company, but retail can become overwhelming.

Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsCompetitive pay for retail/grocery, flexible scheduling, opportunities for growth if interested.

ConsRETAIL, customer is always right which can affect morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more time to understand your employees. Develop a career track for those interested in growing with the company.

Worked for Harris Teeter? Contribute to the Community!