Harris Teeter

Harris Teeter Reviews in North Carolina

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Harris Teeter CEO, Kroger Rodney McMullen

Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Bonus checks depending on hours worked(in 30 reviews)

• Good pay for the amount of work you do(in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • poor communication within the store management to their employees(in 23 reviews)

• Customer service micro-manages the front-end employees down to their bathroom breaks(in 21 reviews)

164 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Job

Customer Service Clerk (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsBonus Checks, the ability to move up within the company is there, yearly price-of-living raises for part-timers and yearly evaluation raises for full-timers.

ConsCommunication between corporate and store level is not as good as it should be. The technology (( registers and equipment )) is extremely outdated. Wanting rules to be enforced, unless the customer is unhappy then to heck with the rules.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpgrade the Registers and software used. Communicate better to the stores. And stay consistent. Get rid of rules/guidelines that are constantly waived for reasons of 'customer satisfaction'. What is the point of them if they are always waived?

The employees never seem to have a bad day.

Assistant Dairy Frozen Manager (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsI like how much training is involved in learning the grocery/ perishable industry. They really make sure you have a good mentor, and are ready for the next level before promoting you.

ConsEven if you have an advanced degree, you have to start at the bottom and work your way up. Also, working in the stores doesn't easily translate to working in the corporate office, even if you have a degree in business or IT.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the store managers are doing a great job. It can be very stressful on the front-lines, so I only suggest that they try to stay happy at work. Negative attitudes trickle down faster than happy ones, and bad attitudes can have tremendous effects on sales.

if you are a woman in the deli you are screwed.

Deli Clerk (Former Employee) Cary, NC

Proshaving a job. I was able to get a ok amount of hours and co workers were always giving away hours.

Consmanager who was useless. it was a boys club so his favorite 2 guys got the best hours. one was a pig who you had to constantly clean up behind since the manager wouldn't make him. slicers were constantly dirty when I came in at lunch time and no sanitizer was made or used since opening at 7am. had a coworker put his hands on me but he kept his job.

Advice to Senior Managementtreat everyone equally and fire not promote men who put their hands on a person.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Some benefits

Foods Clek (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsShare 401 K. Flexible hours

ConsMostly part time, low wages, hard work.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter compensated employees care more.

Working at Harris Teeter

Cashier (Former Employee) Winston-Salem, NC

ProsGenerally Harris Teeter is very customer-service oriented.

ConsTimes with frequent rushes were often understaffed.

Customers treated better than associates.

Assistant Inventory Control Manager (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC

ProsBenefits. Bonuses 2 times a year. Vacation hours.

ConsManagement treats assoiciates poor. Treat customers better than associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave classes on how to treat employees.

A great place to be .....if you're totally brain dead

Fresh Foods Chef (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsSome associates are great to work for
    Wages get paid on time
    A wage increase of 25 cents per hour if you work really hard
    A paltry bonus paid every six months
    A great staff room with uncomfortable chairs , no A/C and a broken tv

ConsNepotism
    Favouritism and the good ol boy network
    Managers blow smoke up your butt
    The training videos are so pathetic written for people with the attention span of a dyslexic gnat
    You can really go places and be where you want to be ....if you're prepared to lower your standards and really kiss butt
    All the adverts for jobs insist you must have culinary skills and degrees ....yeah right....I feel I wasted my time and career in culinary
    This job enthused me to return to school , learn new skills and change my career
    If you love to be undervalued and appreciated then this is the place for you

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the staff you have , harness their skills and push them to improve themselves and the company . Stop trying to crawl to the corporate ladder . If you do right by your staff your staff will do right for you. Pay people a decent wage .

Leadership Doesn't Lead

Cashier/Barista (Former Employee) Fayetteville, NC

ProsMy specific dept worked wonderfully together. We each had our position and our roll and we jived together.

ConsUpper management was constantly stopping us and telling us to do one thing or another that went against rules and parameters set in place for our dept. It was like they had no clue how to run each dept but they wanted to try anyway.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake store management work in each dept so they can learn how it actually works in practice versus just on paper.

Terrible work environment

Cashier (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsI really can't think of anything to put here, other than I enjoyed most of my coworkers!

ConsWhere do I begin. Well first of all, the pay is crap! I worked there for two years and went from making $7.25 an hour to making $8.05 an hour. This company is making so much money and yet they can't afford to pay their workers a decent wage. I went to Whole Foods after HT and the lowest they will pay anyone is $11 an hour, including baggers and dishwashers.

The management was also organized very poorly and was made up of idiots. It was pretty demoralizing working for people that would make fifth graders look smart. I'm sure this isn't the case at every store, but it certainly was at the three I worked at.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees much more and try promoting competent people instead of the bros and the attractive women.

Great place to work, very fun and enjoyable.

Customer Service Clerk (Current Employee) Monroe, NC

ProsThe best reason to work here is the people I really enjoy seeing the regulars come back week after week. I also enjoy helping customers it makes me feel good seeing them walk away with a simile knowing that I just served them excellent customer service.

ConsThe only bad thing about Harris Teeter is the pay as a customer service clerk there are alot of duties to perform and I don't believe that making $8.20 is enough

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe that management should understand how much that we actually work and appreciate it a little bit more. I can tell that the managers that were former customer service managers appreciate us clerks more than a manager that has came from a different position. I also believe to be a manager, that they should be able to perform almost every single function in the store, but most of the time managers can't hardly do anything on the front end except for the basics.

Worked for Harris Teeter? Contribute to the Community!