Harris Teeter

Updated October 18, 2014
3.2

Harris Teeter CEO, Kroger Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • bonus checks are great, very family friendly, good training (in 37 reviews)

• I had a great time working with everyone except any of the customer service managers (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • poor communication within the store management to their employees (in 28 reviews)

• Customer service micro-manages the front-end employees down to their bathroom breaks (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

184 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Front End Cashier, Bagger, U-SCAN Cashier

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Huntersville, NC
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Huntersville, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, fun people to work with. Good part-time job for high schoolers. Offered a program where students who went off to college could come back on breaks and holidays.

Cons

Could be overly boring during slow nights. Management made you stand at the end of your register and basically do nothing when there were no chores, and talking to co-workers was frowned upon during these down times.

Good program, but didn't feel appreciated.

Former Employee - Cake Decorator in Huntersville, NC
    Former Employee - Cake Decorator in Huntersville, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (less than an year)

Pros

customers expect high quality, training program is adequate, managers take their job seriously

Cons

lack of professionalism, perks, creativity

Great managers, excellent quality standards

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Harris Teeter has many locations to choose from. The public opinion of this growing company is very positive because the stores are clean, the customer service is excellent, and the store managers regularly engage and interact with their patrons.

Cons

The hourly wage is not competitive at Harris Teeter. You could earn the same wage or more working with other retailers. I came to Harris Teeter with a college degree wanting to work part-time and they only offered slightly more than minimum wage.

Great Job Overall

Former Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Wake Forest, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Wake Forest, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with a Great group of people that were fun to be around.
    Gained responsibilities pretty fast so there's opportunities to develop yourself.
    Bonus Checks!!!
    Annual raise

Cons

Can be alot of work at times.
    Can be understaffed at times to cut costs.
    May get called in if too understaffed, throwing a wrench in personal plans outside of work.

Don't judge a book by its cover

Current Employee - Third Shift Grocery Stock in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Third Shift Grocery Stock in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits "if you're full time" Opportunities to advance "if you know the right people." as a part timer, never went below 20 hours so I guess that's good for $10 hr for a 3rd shifter. They really try to motivate you to suceed... hmm..

Cons

-They do not hire enough people, you can be scheduled from 10pm-6am and when you try to leave at 6 you're told "You can't leave until said job and area is done" Which there is no policy in their handbook or any rule that states they can. Sometimes you don't get a break or the manager/supervisors who usually have no idea what they're doing just talk over you and keep telling you what to do next . No gratitude whatsoever, personally I spent and went the extra mile to make an aisle look perfect, all my supervisor could do (mind you only there for 1.5 weeks ) Is how I should have done it over an hour ago, that I'm too slow, and I need to move faster (yet the other 1-3 people who work grocery move like slugs and don't get a thing said to them. The Favoritism is absolutely smack dab obvious, the managers seem to have no clue most times. Try to reason with them that you don't think your in the best spot, they tell you to apply to another position (but don't really help you further than that.) You get overworked and never thanked, or appreciated for it. Basically when interviewed and hired they give you a song and dance about how they strive to be the best, maybe to customers, but the way they treat their employees, I would more expect from walmart than a company that strives to be friendly and customer and equal work zone oriented. I have only been working for 2 weeks and not one real positive thing to say than besides what is on the paper or their advertisments!

Here is my advice to management, Learn how to treat your employees a heck of a lot better for what they punch in and do for you every day/night. When I come in to work, and I deal with others, I am friendly as can be, I was raised to treat customers, workmates like you would family, make them comfortable, for a company that bases itself on "Diversity" you are the farthest thing from it. I know Kroeger bought Harris Teeter over, and Publix has come into town. Nailing people for doctors notes calling in sick.. How ridiculous, ever stop and think maybe the employee who called in has no insurance? and can't afford to see a doctor? or maybe they are being courteous and not wanting to come in and contaminate the products your so kindly selling to your customers? no and I think this is a serious problem. I am not one to usually be a stickler or nitpick, but the two weeks I have been with the company , it has been nothing but nightmares. No one should have the sense of dread or uneasy ill feeling when they have to come work for you, Yes work should be work but, there's a difference between hard work, and cracking a whip and not ever saying thank you. Some companies have a bad store or some stores have a bad manager, but please for future reference, Take your employees concerns and needs more seriously, don't ignore them, Customers are important, but so are the employees who put in hour after hour, spending some of the money they broke their backs and butts for to keep your company profiting, learn how to treat them like human beings and not work mules . Please consider restructuring, and retraining your management especially in people skills!

I'd expect this behavior from juveniles, not professionals, take some lessons from the people at corporate or the ones who run the 4 hour classes you send your employees to, I will say those people who ran my class were amazing, and wish I could work in their stores they seem nice!

Good Starter Job

Former Employee - Cashier, Cust Serv Clerk in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Cashier, Cust Serv Clerk in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good job for someone entering the workforce. I appreciate that they hire those with disabilities. Flexible. I was able to take leave for school and still have the job when I needed it, but that may have changed. I was also able to transfer to a location closer to my school for part of the year.

Cons

Drama, unprofessionalism in management. Fraternization. May be able to move up, but likely only if someone likes you. Large variations among stores.

Interesting

Former Employee - Cashier/U-Scan Cashier in Indian Trail, NC
    Former Employee - Cashier/U-Scan Cashier in Indian Trail, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good chance for advancement, good incentives and benefits. There is also a good chance to do more things in store than just work a register, you can work in many different departments

Cons

The part-time hours vary weekly and it's hard to make a living on the lack of hours

Give more regular hours to the faithful workers who come in on time and go above and beyond

It can be stressful, has its ups and downs.

Current Employee - Customer Service Clerk/Cashier in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Clerk/Cashier in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Become close to the other employees
    Bonus Check
    10% discount on HT brand items

Cons

Not enough people are scheduled during rush hour
    No one is getting a decent amount of hours
    No baggers, they just have cashiers running around trying to get closing duties done while trying to run a register at the same time

A. Schedule enough people to cover the front end
    B. Have at least 3 registers open at all times from 10:00am-9:00pm

unapprecited

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

a job close to home

Cons

too many expectations for one person, they cut hours and employees hired are questionable at times

care about your workers as much as we (you) care about our customers. care about the aforementioned more than you care about shareholders and store managers bonuses.

Great Job

Current Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Bonus Checks, the ability to move up within the company is there, yearly price-of-living raises for part-timers and yearly evaluation raises for full-timers.

Cons

Communication between corporate and store level is not as good as it should be. The technology (( registers and equipment )) is extremely outdated. Wanting rules to be enforced, unless the customer is unhappy then to heck with the rules.

Upgrade the Registers and software used. Communicate better to the stores. And stay consistent. Get rid of rules/guidelines that are constantly waived for reasons of 'customer satisfaction'. What is the point of them if they are always waived?