Harris Teeter

Updated August 19, 2014

3.2

Harris Teeter CEO, Kroger Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Bonus checks depending on hours worked (in 32 reviews)

• Good pay for the amount of work you do (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • poor communication within the store management to their employees (in 23 reviews)

• Customer service micro-manages the front-end employees down to their bathroom breaks (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

173 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

if you are a woman in the deli you are screwed.

Former Employee - Deli Clerk  in  Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Cary, NC

Pros

having a job. I was able to get a ok amount of hours and co workers were always giving away hours.

Cons

manager who was useless. it was a boys club so his favorite 2 guys got the best hours. one was a pig who you had to constantly clean up behind since the manager wouldn't make him. slicers were constantly dirty when I came in at lunch time and no sanitizer was made or used since opening at 7am. had a coworker put his hands on me but he kept his job.

treat everyone equally and fire not promote men who put their hands on a person.

Some benefits

Current Employee - Foods Clek  in  Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Foods Clek in Durham, NC

Pros

Share 401 K. Flexible hours

Cons

Mostly part time, low wages, hard work.

Better compensated employees care more.

Working at Harris Teeter

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Cashier in Winston-Salem, NC

Pros

Generally Harris Teeter is very customer-service oriented.

Cons

Times with frequent rushes were often understaffed.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great place to be .....if you're totally brain dead

Former Employee - Fresh Foods Chef  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Fresh Foods Chef in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Some associates are great to work for
    Wages get paid on time
    A wage increase of 25 cents per hour if you work really hard
    A paltry bonus paid every six months
    A great staff room with uncomfortable chairs , no A/C and a broken tv

Cons

Nepotism
    Favouritism and the good ol boy network
    Managers blow smoke up your butt
    The training videos are so pathetic written for people with the attention span of a dyslexic gnat
    You can really go places and be where you want to be ....if you're prepared to lower your standards and really kiss butt
    All the adverts for jobs insist you must have culinary skills and degrees ....yeah right....I feel I wasted my time and career in culinary
    This job enthused me to return to school , learn new skills and change my career
    If you love to be undervalued and appreciated then this is the place for you

Appreciate the staff you have , harness their skills and push them to improve themselves and the company . Stop trying to crawl to the corporate ladder . If you do right by your staff your staff will do right for you. Pay people a decent wage .

Customers treated better than associates.

Current Employee - Assistant Inventory Control Manager  in  Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Assistant Inventory Control Manager in Chapel Hill, NC

Pros

Benefits. Bonuses 2 times a year. Vacation hours.

Cons

Management treats assoiciates poor. Treat customers better than associates.

Have classes on how to treat employees.

Leadership Doesn't Lead

Former Employee - Cashier/Barista  in  Fayetteville, NC
    Former Employee - Cashier/Barista in Fayetteville, NC

Pros

My specific dept worked wonderfully together. We each had our position and our roll and we jived together.

Cons

Upper management was constantly stopping us and telling us to do one thing or another that went against rules and parameters set in place for our dept. It was like they had no clue how to run each dept but they wanted to try anyway.

Make store management work in each dept so they can learn how it actually works in practice versus just on paper.

Terrible work environment

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Cashier in Charlotte, NC

Pros

I really can't think of anything to put here, other than I enjoyed most of my coworkers!

Cons

Where do I begin. Well first of all, the pay is crap! I worked there for two years and went from making $7.25 an hour to making $8.05 an hour. This company is making so much money and yet they can't afford to pay their workers a decent wage. I went to Whole Foods after HT and the lowest they will pay anyone is $11 an hour, including baggers and dishwashers.

The management was also organized very poorly and was made up of idiots. It was pretty demoralizing working for people that would make fifth graders look smart. I'm sure this isn't the case at every store, but it certainly was at the three I worked at.

Pay your employees much more and try promoting competent people instead of the bros and the attractive women.

Great place to work, very fun and enjoyable.

Current Employee - Customer Service Clerk  in  Monroe, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Monroe, NC

Pros

The best reason to work here is the people I really enjoy seeing the regulars come back week after week. I also enjoy helping customers it makes me feel good seeing them walk away with a simile knowing that I just served them excellent customer service.

Cons

The only bad thing about Harris Teeter is the pay as a customer service clerk there are alot of duties to perform and I don't believe that making $8.20 is enough

I believe that management should understand how much that we actually work and appreciate it a little bit more. I can tell that the managers that were former customer service managers appreciate us clerks more than a manager that has came from a different position. I also believe to be a manager, that they should be able to perform almost every single function in the store, but most of the time managers can't hardly do anything on the front end except for the basics.

My work is always appreciated.

Current Employee - Back-Up Scanning Coordinator  in  Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Back-Up Scanning Coordinator in Cary, NC

Pros

The managers are always great, the customers are awesome because they really value our goal at having the best customer service therefore they appreciate it and they show you. They pay above minimum wage, and there are 2 bonuses a year regardless of the economy. Even when it was dropping in 2008, the associates still got their checks because the people at corporate forfeited theirs. (The company cares!) Also, this was my first real job besides babysitting and I definitely have learned a lot.

Cons

Sometimes I feel like I'm doing more work than I'm getting paid for but isn't that the case almost everywhere?

Stop making such a big deal whether or not my sweater has the HT logo on it. It looks exactly the same as the one you sell, and unless you want to pay for my uniform, I am not going to buy it because I do not believe the customer cares as long as I have my name tag in obvious view.

Quite Pleasant

Current Employee - Fresh Foods Clerk  in  Boone, NC
    Current Employee - Fresh Foods Clerk in Boone, NC

Pros

Good team work, friendly customers, friendly management.

Cons

Not enough help at times.

Hire more people instead of grabbing people from other departments to fill in roles that are needed.

Worked for Harris Teeter? Contribute to the Community!