Harris Teeter Reviews

Reset
3.3
Harris Teeter CEO, Kroger Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Profit sharing bonus checks, given twice a year, are also a nice perk (in 38 reviews)

• Customer service is number one priority (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • poor communication within the store management to their employees (in 29 reviews)

• Customer Service no longer there (in 26 reviews)

Solid job experience, average pay, good management

Former Employee - Fresh Foods Associate in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Fresh Foods Associate in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They know how to promote the right people, I liked all the managers I worked for in Charlottesville. The culture and management is really great. The focus they put on customer service actually makes employees more comfortable and happier in their job because there's some level of pride in working for HT.

Cons

Corporate expects customer service quality of Whole Foods and tells employees they are 'empowered' without real empowerment. You can be on call meaning you're called in any time and if you're called on to cover someone elses shift and you can't be there for it (even though you're part time) your managers will be disappointed.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to realize that empowerment is more than just a word.

2. Awesome place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashburn, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashburn, VA

I worked at Harris Teeter

Pros

Great environment loving staff. Great customers as well

Cons

There are no cons literally

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

3. Flexible hours

Former Employee - Cashier/U-Scan Cashier in Apex, NC
    Former Employee - Cashier/U-Scan Cashier in Apex, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter

Pros

It was a job that i needed when i was in school. Greak place to work and great people to work with.

Cons

Consistancy of schedule hours, one week u might have 30 hours and another week its 4 hours.

5. cashier

Former Employee - Cashier in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Cashier in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work while in school.

Cons

None really it is a great job to have while you are in school, however there is no room for growth.

6. Above average

Former Employee - Fresh Foods Manager in Ashburn, VA
    Former Employee - Fresh Foods Manager in Ashburn, VA

I worked at Harris Teeter

Pros

Harris Teeter empowers employees to make things right for customers. Whenever I encountered an upset customer (as a department manager) I was confident that I would be supported in whatever decision I made. I never had even a single incident in which I was chided for making things right, which increased my confidence in dealing directly with customers rather than paging a manager and waiting while the customer stewed. Many of the managers I worked with were mature and professional, and treated their directs as responsible, well-paid professionals.

Cons

Many managers, especially at the store level, are petty and childish, constantly griping about under-performance of our teammates or their own lack of advancement. I suppose this is true everywhere, but they look especially bad given the superb quality of many of their colleagues.

Advice to Management

Focus on weeding out the immature managers. These folks are paid very well given requisite history and education, and your employees deserve professional business leadership.

7. Harris Teeter

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time

Pros

Great pay, great work envirmoment, fast response to applications.

Cons

none that I can think of.

8. Starbucks Brista

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Harris Teeter

Pros

Best thing about working at Harris Teeter is the coworkers and the customers! It is hard not to smile while working because our team is so positive and helpful!

Cons

I haven't found a con working here.

9. Awesome place to work.

Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bonus checks twice a year. Friendly environment where customer service comes first.

Cons

Department managers are lazy and think they don't have to work

Advice to Management

Have a more intense selection process for department managers.

10. It's like any other part-time job

Former Employee - Barista in Purcellville, VA
    Former Employee - Barista in Purcellville, VA

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Had a great team lead, she understood my schedule as a college student working to pay bills. I enjoyed the majority of my co-workers and our regular customers made the shifts go by faster. It was great because we didn't have to balance the cash drawer or do any of that because the customer service department took care of that.

Cons

Terrible Store Manager, was not in touch with any of the departments needs. Constantly cut our hours and needed employees to cover shifts. Multiple times we were left alone during a rush period which caused upset customers. Granted it could just be this specific store.

Advice to Management

Make sure you know what's going on in all your departments, I know that it's a large company but leaving employees out to dry and deal with angry customers because we are understaffed and they have to wait for their morning coffee is a huge problem.

11. Meat Clerk

Current Employee - Meat Clerk in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Meat Clerk in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Harris teeters offers great health care and savings plans for full-time workers. Hard working employees who start out in the meat department have the opportunity to move up very quickly through Harris Teeters' Meatcutter Apprenticeship program. The pay for becoming a meat cutter can be more than double the starting pay of a Meat Clerk. The Meat Cutter position is typically aqcuired after 8 months of apprenticeship and a final meat cutting test must be passed after the apprenticeship program. Failure to pass the meat cutting test could result in a decrease in pay. Passing the test will lead to a job title change and pay increase upon promotion. All employees also recieve 2 bonus checks each year of employment based on hours worked, pay rate, and how much the company as a whole makes that year.

Cons

So long as you work hard, there really isn't much downside. It is what you make of it. If you are a hard worker and offer great customer service, then you will be given the opportunity to move up to a higher position. If you are lazy.. then you will probably stay a meat clerk.

Advice to Management

Im sure all management teams are different depending on the store. Where I work, the management team works hard and they are very respectful to all Harris Teeters employees. Everyone works hard, is polite, and employees of lower positions are welcomed, not belittled. Great company to work for!

RSS Feed </> Embed