Harris Teeter Reviews

Reset
3.3
Harris Teeter CEO, Kroger Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Profit sharing bonus checks, given twice a year, are also a nice perk (in 38 reviews)

• Customer service is number one priority (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • poor communication within the store management to their employees (in 29 reviews)

• Customer Service no longer there (in 26 reviews)

1. Company had no regards to my experience or training.

Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Arlington, VA

I worked at Harris Teeter

Pros

There was not a single thing that was good about working here.

Cons

I had been told by employees while working that I "might as well drop dead", I had my grandfather pass away during work and I was told that I would not be able to attend his funeral, because stocking fruit was more important then the loss of my loved one. This job was meaningless hard labor. Nothing good about it. The backroom was a mess, rotting fruit, poor management, and over burdened managers. You have to purchase your uniform, and virtually no benefits are given. I do not even want to support them anymore.

Advice to Management

Everything needs to be changed.

2. I simply would not recommend this company as an employer

I worked at Harris Teeter full-time

Pros

it was a job,and i liked my coworkers--that's really it.

Cons

i cannot even begin to elaborate the negatives. suffice it to say that the negatives far outweighed the positive (yes, singular) which was, of course, that it was a job, and i needed a job. That's it.

Advice to Management

stop abusing employees, overworking employees, and threatening the jobs of full-timers when they have legitimate medical reasons for wanting a (slightly) more flexible schedule; familiarize yourselves with the rights of people who disclose disabilities at work.

The struggle

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Wake Forest, NC
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Wake Forest, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Weekly pay has been very helpful. Honestly don't have anything else to say about its pros.

Cons

Very high expectation for very low pay.
    Feels like your in no winning situation.
    Management gives you false hope about career opportunities. Very high intense work and stress. Management tries to use you.

Advice to Management

Do better

5. Unhappy

I worked at Harris Teeter

Pros

The profit sharing bonus was a plus twice a year. Had an excellent co- manager he stayed positive the majority of the time.

Cons

Never staffed enough. They constantly add more time consuming work, but you are suppose to be all about customer service. They dont understand the more work they give you, it takes you away from the customer. It was a very negative environment in every store it seems like. The management always talked down to you and sarcastically. Full time positions dont really budge on schedules if your part time you can choose your own schedule. The assistant managers were the ones that get "crapped" on the most. Some of them would do the work of 3 or 4 employees and get nothing in return. No overtime, not even as much as a Thanks for your hard work. I felt sorry for them. They always looked so tired and lifeless at work. I had worked in a few of the stores, they did more work than the dept. managers and got paid a lot less from what I understood. That is not fair.
    If you had a family emergency and could not call the 2 hours in advance, it was an unexscused absence. Even for those of us who NEVER called out, come in late, or go home early.
    If you made a mistake you got chewed out, even if it wasn't a big issue. They should know people make mistakes. We are human of course.
    Last but certainly not least the employees only have two hands and can only be in one place at a time. The favorite saying of management was "make it work" or "just make it happen".

Advice to Management

Say good morning or afternoon not just you need to do this or you need to do that. A little positivity never hurt anyone. You are not God so don't act like it! I was miserable walking in those doors everyday. I even took a much lower paying job just to get out of there. I worked my tail off everyday for a lot of negative energy. Sometjing to keep in mind is "if your employees are happy your customers will be happy". Just a thought.

6. Fresh Foods Clerk

Former Employee - Fresh Foods Clerk in Davidson, NC
    Former Employee - Fresh Foods Clerk in Davidson, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter

Pros

It was a paying job.

Cons

Only giving them one star because I can't give them no stars. They suck. They verbally abuse their employees in front of customers. The first day I was there, my manager had me standing at the sink singing the birthday song in front of customers because he said I took too long to wash my hands. The last day of my two week notice, they wrote me up and fired me. My manager had been working me five hours straight without a break, and I have foot problems, so I would be unable to stand up the next day, so they said I had excessive absences, even though I had a doctor's note each and every time. Then they sent me back to the deli to finish my shift. About the third insult from the assistant manager, I calmly took off my hat, badge and apron, walked up to the customer service desk, handed the clerk my badge and told her I wasn't being paid enough to let them insult me, then went and clocked out. Repeated calls to HR to complain about the situation have been ignored. This is a very bad company, with very bad management. I would not advise anyone work there unless they couldn't find work anywhere else.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like crap. And believe me, I intend to make this situation public to as many people as I can, and I know a lot of people.

7. Its an ok job

I have been working at Harris Teeter

Pros

the job starts at $10

Cons

Everything is wrong with this job

Advice to Management

Needs new management

8. Do NOT work in their deli

Current Employee - Deli Associate in Warrenton, VA
    Current Employee - Deli Associate in Warrenton, VA

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent starting pay and generally friendly co-workers. If you catch onto the job quickly they don't really make you do all the boring training stuff. Easy way to get some experience before moving to a better grocery company.

Cons

Poor communication between management and workers. In the deli specifically, no dishwashing machine and almost no storage for clean dishes (we cram them all into a single rack). Workers in the deli are treated like the lowliest ones in the store. Things break in other departments and get fixed within a week, but there are numerous things in the deli (e.g., hole in a sink, bad fryer filter, clogged floor drains, dishwashing sink that drains water even when plugged, etc...) that have been broken since before I got the job 5 months ago and store managers just keep promising they'll be fixed soon. Severely understaffed and borderline abusively reliant on part-time workers to carry the weight. I asked to switch from 5 days a week to 3 because my manager started making me close the deli basically by myself all 5 nights (which is supposed to be a 2-man job) and I would end up working well past when my shift was scheduled to end which interfered with school. Deli managers are jerked around by store managers for doing a bad job, but store management doesn't let them hire new people or fix things. Workers take a ton of shortcuts in cleaning in order to save time because they are doing the work of two people - this makes the deli a constantly dirty place. Half the workers in the deli were originally hired to work in other departments, but put in the deli and left there after being hired. Workers who close should expect no help from day-time workers (constantly come in to an overflowing sink of dishes that have been sitting there since opening). Deli runs out of supplies on a weekly basis and we start improvising (e.g., smushing chickens into smaller containers because we don't have the right ones, seran wrapping meat/cheese because we ran out of bags, etc...). After a full-time co-worker fell and broke her arm, I've gotten called on most my days off being begged to come in to help because they literally have no one else. I was supposed to go to a 4 hour training course at a store 1 hour away - after I drove all the way out there my boss called and told me the class was cancelled and to come to work (I later found out he lied and that the class was NOT actually cancelled). I'm not sure if these issues are exclusive to my location, but they've been going on since I got the job and I've found that it's overall a really stressful place that could be made much better if we had a few more people on staff and better equipment.

Advice to Management

Hire more people, fix broken things, replace the really old equipment. Workers in other departments seem somewhat satisfied with their jobs, but no one in the deli really takes any enjoyment from their work - 95% of the days I work are a struggle to get through. Most workers talk about applying at other stores that "treat their workers better" such as Wegmans and Whole Foods.

9. Starbucks Barista

Former Employee - Starbucks Clerk in Waxhaw, NC
    Former Employee - Starbucks Clerk in Waxhaw, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros for working at Harris Teeter was that you got a 10% discount and you get a ton of hours because the store is usually busy-- at least where I worked. Another pro was that since I worked as a Barista, I didn't have to deal with all the bagging and getting carts whereas Harris Teeter employees had to. You get paid above minimum wage which is was pretty awesome.

Cons

The managers are terrible... and I am not exaggerating. The managers pretty much expect you to be available all the time and never have any life outside of Harris Teeter. Also, customer service is the number one important thing at Harris Teeter, so even if a customer is just down-right rude to you to have to be super nice to them-- and expect management to take their side. Also, you had to take these ridiculous monthly tests and check in every month to hear about how to be nice to customers.

Advice to Management

Be nicer to your employees. Honestly, all they are trying to do is make a little extra-cash and be respected.

10. Short time with them

I worked at Harris Teeter

Pros

Got to work with food

Cons

Low pay, Bad management, Bad training

Advice to Management

Train better

11. DON'T WORK HERE

Former Employee - Cashier in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Cashier in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter

Pros

None, best thing I ever did was quit

Cons

Steelecroft location - the worst place I ever worked, management unprofessional, the rudest customers, lazy immature office employees don't waste your time working here go work for Publix I did it's where working is a pleasure !!

Advice to Management

Replace your office customer service staff
    They are rude to the employees and you have some office management that should be replaced as well. Need to clean the store registers are filthy never cleaned.

RSS Feed </> Embed