Harris Teeter

Updated December 15, 2014
3.2

Harris Teeter CEO, Kroger Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • bonus checks are great, very family friendly, good training (in 38 reviews)

• I had a great time working with everyone except any of the customer service managers (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • poor communication within the store management to their employees (in 29 reviews)

• Customer service micro-manages the front-end employees down to their bathroom breaks (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst company ever

Former Employee - Department Manager
    Former Employee - Department Manager

I worked at Harris Teeter full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive salary that never compared to unrealistic expectations of the job

Cons

Unrealistic work expectations, constant audits, a primary focus on customer service with no resources to provide proper service with and constant beatings for not being able to deliver. Overworked managers, saw several have nervous breakdowns, and scamming employees with overpriced uniforms, shoes, and no incentives. They only care about their bottom line.

Get real with the expectations, invest in your employees and maybe you can avoid further management walk outs.

A walk on the retail side

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great bonus potential for ALL employees, great vacation/personal hour scale, fast paced and every day is interesting. Customer base is primarily kind.

Cons

Mico Management, 'On Call' procedures odd, open MOST holidays and will not pay time and half for working, non regulars are rude and misinformed, management concerned over making labor/bonus than building great staff

Learn to manage with integrity. Build your teams, grow their experiences and you will have a well oiled machine that makes numbers. Also, give people a chance to progress and stop lying to them about possibilities that won't happen.

Okay first job but I was left miserable at the end

I worked at Harris Teeter

Pros

-Great first job, this taught me a lot and I learned how to really interact with strangers
    - Working with friends is always a plus

Cons

-Management was unprofessional and created drama throughout the store on a daily basis
    -Management also didn't really do anything ever, they just sat on their phones or watched the associates
    -Coworkers can be rude, childish, inappropriate, and there was a lot of rumor spreading at my store
    -My back and feet were constantly aching during and after work
    -7.75 an hour is minimum wage but when promised a raise, it was usually never given
    -When I left, I was miserable there and couldn't stand going into work
    -On call shifts and people calling out constantly made plan making impossible.
    -Terrible hours, less than 30 a week for part time.
    I really hated working here.

No future here.

Former Employee - Stocker in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Stocker in Morrisville, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They will hire anyone as a part-time employee.

Cons

They pay is low and they want you to treat this like a full-time job.

Pay more and give more opportunities for advancement.

Run away while you still can!

Former Employee - Cashier/U-Scan Cashier in North Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Cashier/U-Scan Cashier in North Bethesda, MD

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Benefits
    10% off HT brand items
    Good pay ( 9 p/ hr, 10.50 p/hr on Sundays)

Cons

NO work-life Balance
    NO satisfaction between you and your higher ups
    They make you work overtime on holidays and you don't get your pay from it!
    VERY rude customers
    Long training videos with cheesy jingles played over and over again (with alcohol and tobacco testing videos every 6 months), you get paid for training before you start officially, after that you have to be off the clock to train
    They do not care for you or your needs, do not get sick. You will get written off every time you call out for something important ( I had a family emergency and I had to call out on 2 hours notice, and they made me come in anyway)

Your company is nothing but a slave driven company. Your managers do not care for your employees. I rather work somewhere else. I was depressed upon working there. Very bad place to work with.

continuing to be surrounded by food at starvation wages...

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Franklin, TN
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Franklin, TN

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Due to the fact that an hourly employee cannot work > 28 hours/week, I have more than enough time off. This job is the ONLY job I have and for that I am grateful- at least it's a job on paper.

Cons

Management are puppets. They do what they are told, when they are told, and how they are told to do by corporate. The staffing is woefully inadequate on most days... no baggers except on weekends, cashiers are expected to bag for one another, and when a customer walks up to check out, the cashier who's bagging for the other cashier has leave that customer to check out the customer who just walked up. It is not unusual to have to page overhead for help from other depts. to help at the front end thus leaving their customers... Cashiers are expected to retrieve carts from the parking lot, do floor sweeps, and cleaning chores. If they would hire the "youngins" 16,17 yr olds as baggers, they could be doing these chores when they aren't bagging and doing take-outs

Allow your store managers and dept managers to staff enough personnel to manage the world class customer service that you expect them to give. If you want people to work tor your company they need to be paid livable wages. If you won't allow any employee who's not management to work > 28 hrs/week, you should be paying them a minimum of $15.00/hr... then they might not have to live in Section 8 Housing and rely on food stamps to buy food.

Don't judge a book by its cover

Current Employee - Third Shift Grocery Stock in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Third Shift Grocery Stock in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits "if you're full time" Opportunities to advance "if you know the right people." as a part timer, never went below 20 hours so I guess that's good for $10 hr for a 3rd shifter. They really try to motivate you to suceed... hmm..

Cons

-They do not hire enough people, you can be scheduled from 10pm-6am and when you try to leave at 6 you're told "You can't leave until said job and area is done" Which there is no policy in their handbook or any rule that states they can. Sometimes you don't get a break or the manager/supervisors who usually have no idea what they're doing just talk over you and keep telling you what to do next . No gratitude whatsoever, personally I spent and went the extra mile to make an aisle look perfect, all my supervisor could do (mind you only there for 1.5 weeks ) Is how I should have done it over an hour ago, that I'm too slow, and I need to move faster (yet the other 1-3 people who work grocery move like slugs and don't get a thing said to them. The Favoritism is absolutely smack dab obvious, the managers seem to have no clue most times. Try to reason with them that you don't think your in the best spot, they tell you to apply to another position (but don't really help you further than that.) You get overworked and never thanked, or appreciated for it. Basically when interviewed and hired they give you a song and dance about how they strive to be the best, maybe to customers, but the way they treat their employees, I would more expect from walmart than a company that strives to be friendly and customer and equal work zone oriented. I have only been working for 2 weeks and not one real positive thing to say than besides what is on the paper or their advertisments!

Here is my advice to management, Learn how to treat your employees a heck of a lot better for what they punch in and do for you every day/night. When I come in to work, and I deal with others, I am friendly as can be, I was raised to treat customers, workmates like you would family, make them comfortable, for a company that bases itself on "Diversity" you are the farthest thing from it. I know Kroeger bought Harris Teeter over, and Publix has come into town. Nailing people for doctors notes calling in sick.. How ridiculous, ever stop and think maybe the employee who called in has no insurance? and can't afford to see a doctor? or maybe they are being courteous and not wanting to come in and contaminate the products your so kindly selling to your customers? no and I think this is a serious problem. I am not one to usually be a stickler or nitpick, but the two weeks I have been with the company , it has been nothing but nightmares. No one should have the sense of dread or uneasy ill feeling when they have to come work for you, Yes work should be work but, there's a difference between hard work, and cracking a whip and not ever saying thank you. Some companies have a bad store or some stores have a bad manager, but please for future reference, Take your employees concerns and needs more seriously, don't ignore them, Customers are important, but so are the employees who put in hour after hour, spending some of the money they broke their backs and butts for to keep your company profiting, learn how to treat them like human beings and not work mules . Please consider restructuring, and retraining your management especially in people skills!

I'd expect this behavior from juveniles, not professionals, take some lessons from the people at corporate or the ones who run the 4 hour classes you send your employees to, I will say those people who ran my class were amazing, and wish I could work in their stores they seem nice!

8.75/hr..Bust your butt!!! Treated like dirt! High Turnover...

Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Burlington, NC
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Burlington, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nothing Really....Wait! 6 month bonuses a few hundred bucks.

Cons

Low Pay...Only Part-Time 28 hrs max.....Full timers treated much better! Allowed to take breaks without getting the "stink eye".Not hiring full time....Regardless of how hard you work. North Carolina companies are notoriously brutal, mean, spirited and anti-union. Harris Teeter examplifies this all the way!! Don't shop here They suck!

Quit being such butt kissing toadies...you're pitiful...Some people work hard!! Recognize that!

The good, the bad, and the ugly

Current Employee - Department Management
    Current Employee - Department Management

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Co-works: most of your co-workings being management to baggers are good people like their jobs and are generally fun to work with.

Customers: for the most part are what makes working here a big bonus. The regulars are the best.

Pay: while could be better is still pretty good compared to similar companies.

Together in education program

Only salary management can tell a customer NO

Cons

Unrealistic expectations vers. man hours.

To many cooks in the kitchen: dept managers, store managers, training specialists, HR, LP, DMs, corp. seriously... I mean seriously... You have your dept mgrs who try to work within the system. But, get road blocked by store management who wants to line their pockets so they "manage labor" or whatever else they can do to save money. You have the training specialists that are in charge of individual departments for around 20 or more stores who have a rough idea about what's going on in their stores. Whom appear to have more power then the store management cause they spend more time with HR, LP, DMs, and corp so they can override store management by going to 1 of the 4 fore mentioned groups. And that might make the problem better or worse cause the store management might ignore what the specialist wants done because their pulling numbers and making money for the company. Great idea on paper doesn't work with egos and numbers.

It's not what you know it's who you know: I know dept mgrs who are friends with people in corp. that for a better term get away with murder. I have witnessed managers say things on the front end in front of customers to other asso./managers that are so morally bankrupt and ethically immoral get customer complaints for their actions and instead of being terminated get transferred to higher column stores closer to their homes... All because it's who they know.

Constant fear of LP/dept audits, "corp/DM visits", being documented for poor job performance while performing within or above company policies.

Store directors: most don't care about anything but their pockets. Yearly bonus... With Kroger taking over they lost around 2/3 of it until next year. Only work the opening shift (6am-4pm) so they don't experience what is happening in their stores in the late afternoons evens. Spend their full shift in their office behind their desk doing "paper work" and not sticking their heads out of their office to know what's going on in their store. This all being said there are a few that make working for this company worth working for.

Co-managers that play favorite and treating everyone else like they are less then human second class citizens.

Customers: most know the policies better then the employees. When you adhere to policy you're expected to break policy to go above and beyond to keep the customers happy because you're fearful that if you don't you'll get a customer complaint that corp. wants to know why you didn't break established policy. Which in turns you get written up for.

Only salary management can tell the customer NO: while in theory this is a great practice. In reality this isn't what's done. Store management expects the department managers to handle customers so they have very little to no contact with them.

HR is a joke. You are expected to talk to your dept manager or store manager if you have an issue, no matter the issue. However if the store management or dept manager is the issue HR still wants you to talk to them and if you haven't they don't want to hear about it.

Corp/DMs unapproachable... Literally, if they don't start a conversation with you, you're expected not to talk to them. If you do talk to them out of turn you might be written up or terminated for being disrespectful.

Bonuses: Two annual bonuses that amount to around a pay check and a half unless you're a dept manager(not ast dept mgr mind you) or salary manager who get a couple thousand after taxes for very little customer interaction.

Have more realistic expectations on labor. You want to be the best in customer service then don't "manage labor" down to the point that it's affecting store moral or productivity.

Remove the horrible store management for managers that work and care about their asso. and
    customers.

This list is to long for what needs fixing.

Want out

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wish I could think of one

Cons

Be ready for your schedule to be changed mid-week, won't get any 15 minute breaks, have to ask to use the bathroom, meals come when/if your manager remembers -generally an hour before the end of your shift- managers talking about other managers to anyone who will listen and about the employees, being reprimanded in the aisle with no regard to who may be around to hear or if YOU are the one who screwed up. You'll be told not to come in to work if your sick BUT, IF you call out because your sick you will be asked for a doctors note then told that if you call out again you may be fired, even if you have a doctors note to verify you were ill. Working for this company you will find yourself disillusioned and bitter.

Read the reviews that are negative, send in the "undercover boss" then make the fixes that are sorely needed