Harris Teeter

Harris Teeter Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Harris Teeter CEO, Kroger Rodney McMullen

Rodney McMullen

Pros:
  • "Bonus checks depending on hours worked"
    in 29 reviews
  • "Profit sharing bonus twice a year"
    in 28 reviews
Cons:
  • "poor communication within the store management to their employees"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Customer service micro-manages the front-end employees down to their bathroom breaks"
    in 20 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay. Very good training. Good benefits.

ConsExpectations are very high and they are audit driven.

Leadership Doesn't Lead

Cashier/Barista (Former Employee)
    Fayetteville, NC

ProsMy specific dept worked wonderfully together. We each had our position and our roll and we jived together.

ConsUpper management was constantly stopping us and telling us to do one thing or another that went against rules and parameters set in place for our dept. It was like they had no clue how to run each dept but they wanted to try anyway.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake store management work in each dept so they can learn how it actually works in practice versus just on paper.

Unethical

ProsThe associates are great to work with,

ConsThe company is unethical, management sucks, no team work,and to much favortisom

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

8.75/hr..Bust your butt!!! Treated like dirt! High Turnover...

Produce Clerk (Former Employee)
    Burlington, NC

ProsNothing Really....Wait! 6 month bonuses a few hundred bucks.

ConsLow Pay...Only Part-Time 28 hrs max.....Full timers treated much better! Allowed to take breaks without getting the "stink eye".Not hiring full time....Regardless of how hard you work. North Carolina companies are notoriously brutal, mean, spirited and anti-union. Harris Teeter examplifies this all the way!! Don't shop here They suck!

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit being such butt kissing toadies...you're pitiful...Some people work hard!! Recognize that!

The employees never seem to have a bad day.

Assistant Dairy Frozen Manager (Current Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

ProsI like how much training is involved in learning the grocery/ perishable industry. They really make sure you have a good mentor, and are ready for the next level before promoting you.

ConsEven if you have an advanced degree, you have to start at the bottom and work your way up. Also, working in the stores doesn't easily translate to working in the corporate office, even if you have a degree in business or IT.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the store managers are doing a great job. It can be very stressful on the front-lines, so I only suggest that they try to stay happy at work. Negative attitudes trickle down faster than happy ones, and bad attitudes can have tremendous effects on sales.

Terrible work environment

Cashier (Former Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

ProsI really can't think of anything to put here, other than I enjoyed most of my coworkers!

ConsWhere do I begin. Well first of all, the pay is crap! I worked there for two years and went from making $7.25 an hour to making $8.05 an hour. This company is making so much money and yet they can't afford to pay their workers a decent wage. I went to Whole Foods after HT and the lowest they will pay anyone is $11 an hour, including baggers and dishwashers.

The management was also organized very poorly and was made up of idiots. It was pretty demoralizing working for people that would make fifth graders look smart. I'm sure this isn't the case at every store, but it certainly was at the three I worked at.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees much more and try promoting competent people instead of the bros and the attractive women.

Challenging

ProsHarris Teeter provides good benefits for its employees and they have a strong focus on safety. Their management training program is very comprehensive and valuable. They also do look for talent within the company to promote.

ConsLost their core values unfortunately, their strength was taking care of their employees and customers and the economy started to decline, HT was running solid financially but they decided to cut back and it hurt service and employee relations with their new policies.

Great work environment, customer service lower level management needs some work

Cashier/U-Scan Cashier (Former Employee)
    Rockville, MD

Proscompetitive pay, excellent products, good customers good coworkers, department management is excellent

Consassistant store managers, front end managers, and customer service all mediocre at best; some locations have very poor morale among employees; some locations had better clientele than others. small town locations usually have a much better environment than the more urban environments

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to floor managers! There were many, many occasions where my vacation requests were ignored, my break times were ignored, and my scheduling preferences were ignored. I even had to deal with managers who would make personal phone calls ON THE FLOOR and would ignore requests for attention or assistance over the intercom. There was also some disregard for life outside of work, including school obligations or when someone was sick, which I found to be extremely distasteful. Upper management does a very, very good job (my experience with three different locations), and they are wonderful when dealing with customers and employees alike, as well as keeping the store in line. Almost makes 99% of lower level management obsolete (since upper management ends up picking up their slack anyway).

Cashier

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay for the amount of work you do.

ConsIt's a bit monotonous

challenging job

Prosfocus on customer service and employee safety

Consday by day, always something going on

Advice to Senior Managementvery good company, keep it up

Worked for Harris Teeter? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Harris Teeter reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Harris Teeter CEO Rodney McMullen. All 375 reviews posted anonymously by Harris Teeter employees.