Harris Teeter

Updated August 18, 2014

3.2

Harris Teeter CEO, Kroger Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Bonus checks depending on hours worked (in 32 reviews)

• Good pay for the amount of work you do (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • poor communication within the store management to their employees (in 23 reviews)

• Customer service micro-manages the front-end employees down to their bathroom breaks (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun job to work while going to school

Former Employee - Fresh Foods Clerk  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Fresh Foods Clerk in Nashville, TN

Pros

I enjoyed working at Harris Teeter for the time that I did. It was a fast paced job that had room for growth and rewarded hard working employees

Cons

They work days were sometimes pretty long and they scheduled a lot of weekends which could get annoying sometimes. Some employees don't care and it makes working with them a challenge

Hire people who are decent employees. Most of my co workers were great but some of them were terrible people that made everyone else's job harder.

Interesting

Former Employee - Cashier/U-Scan Cashier  in  Indian Trail, NC
    Former Employee - Cashier/U-Scan Cashier in Indian Trail, NC

Pros

Good chance for advancement, good incentives and benefits. There is also a good chance to do more things in store than just work a register, you can work in many different departments

Cons

The part-time hours vary weekly and it's hard to make a living on the lack of hours

Give more regular hours to the faithful workers who come in on time and go above and beyond

unpredictable work for not much reward

Current Employee - Harris Teeter Cashier
    Current Employee - Harris Teeter Cashier

Pros

generally flexible hours, generally high pay for a part-time job, generally positive environment, uniforms are professional, easy to have as a job if you are also in school, stores are clean and higher class than most other grocery stores, training is extensive and prepares you for the job, general culture is upbeat and positive

Cons

management micro-manages a lot, breaks and lunches are sometimes not given at all even during long shifts, no consideration for personal life; they will schedule you for as much as your availability will possibly allow, have to ask to leave work even if your shift is already over & if there are a lot of customers that day you may have to work way overtime unexpectedly, calls home are frequent and most of the time not important enough to warrant a call, almost no opportunity for advancement in the company, the work itself is quite dull, managers play favorites quite obviously, managers have gotten angry at employees for changing their appearance before (i.e. cutting their hair or dying it)

don't assume employees are able to work overtime just because there are a lot of customers in the store that day, if you do have favorites don't make it so obvious, don't talk down to employees

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Eye Opener

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

Pros

Great benefits, excellent tuition assistance program, employee discount, bonus program

Cons

There is very little support (in some cases) from those in salaried management. Lots of back stabbing, and 'I don't knows' which mean they do know and it's not looking good for you. Be careful: If you get aligned with a poor management staff you will fall at the wayside and will NOT get any opportunities for growth. MOST opportunities are given to 'buddies' and if you brown nose enough, you will get one.

Support those who want to progress and look at their merit and not their personal relationships. I don't want to spend my weekends drinking at the bar with my DM JUST to get ahead. Also, be upfront with your corporate opportunities. If you want to hire JUST salaried managers and friends say so.

Front End Cashier, Bagger, U-SCAN Cashier

Former Employee - Front End Cashier  in  Huntersville, NC
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Huntersville, NC

Pros

Flexible scheduling, fun people to work with. Good part-time job for high schoolers. Offered a program where students who went off to college could come back on breaks and holidays.

Cons

Could be overly boring during slow nights. Management made you stand at the end of your register and basically do nothing when there were no chores, and talking to co-workers was frowned upon during these down times.

There are days where I love Harris Teeter, and then there are other days...

Current Employee - Fresh Foods Clerk  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Fresh Foods Clerk in Baltimore, MD

Pros

The pay is wonderful. Associates are great.

Cons

Managers. Hours. Not fair. Some people are treated better than others.

Good program, but didn't feel appreciated.

Former Employee - Cake Decorator  in  Huntersville, NC
    Former Employee - Cake Decorator in Huntersville, NC

Pros

customers expect high quality, training program is adequate, managers take their job seriously

Cons

lack of professionalism, perks, creativity

Excellent Equal Opportunity employer with great advancement opportunity

Former Employee - Bagger  in  McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Bagger in McLean, VA

Pros

This company is wiling to hire anybody willing and eager to work. The assemsents can be a bit difficult at first but this is a solid employer willing to train anyone.

Cons

The assessments are slightly difficult for some who does not speak fluent english

This a great first job for anyone seeking to start over in a new country or for the first job.

Rule by fear and intimidation

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

The pay and benefits are good.

Cons

Too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Constant fear of corporate visits and audits keeps everyone on edge. Store management passes these on to everyone else. Threats of write-ups on a daily basis. So much so that good people lose their initiative. Do as I say and don't think on your own mentality. Corporate and upper management treat the stores as their personal pantries. They force you to carry products that only they buy and then come down on you when your waste is high. Have also seen several people lied to and made promises that never came true by corporate. Not many happy people in the stores. Changes need to be made.

Spend less time nit picking your stores. Have some faith and trust in your associates. Take notice how many of your people are unhappy. The pay is all that people stay for.

No advancement, poor hours for part time

Pros

The work is fairly simple. That's... about it, really. Coworkers and management are hit-or-miss, sometimes you get a good one, sometimes...ugh. There's a twice-yearly 'bonus' thing, but when you're part-time with dwindling hours in the 8-15 range every week, it ends up being, like, $80. Combined. Also 401(k)s are available, but when you figure that and the fact that the cost of all of your gear (work shirts, aprons, nonslip shoes) is taken out of your already-unimpressive pay, it stops being so great.

Cons

The pay (A smidge above min.wage for part-time), the hours (or lack thereof), and the glass ceiling preventing part-timers from advancing to full-time.

I had two good managers while I worked for this chain. One was my dept. manager, the other was the store manager. To round things out, though, there were two bad ones as well. The first bad one was the miser who refused to let me- the one who was cross-training in like half the departments to get extra hours- help out stock, which was understaffed before a major holiday, because he didn't want to pay me more. I didn't really care about the pay. I cared that a friend of mine was going to be a zombie after getting through all her work. Still wasn't allowed to help.

Later on, for reasons that will not be explained but had nothing to do with work, I had to transfer to a store across town. I wanted a full-time job at the new place, I was told that I couldn't because I was in school and there was no way they would let someone taking college classes go full-time, even though I'd already taken precautions to avoid conflict. Also it's relevant to state that Part-timers are capped at 26 hours a week, and get in BIG trouble if they go over. So I lost that battle, and then asked for the one other opening I was interested in- a daytime job. Manager then proceeded to railroad me into a third-shift gig I DID NOT WANT, and after one miserable night, I ended up quitting without notice.

Treat the people who actually run the store a little better. We might stick around longer.

Worked for Harris Teeter? Contribute to the Community!