Harris Teeter

Updated September 7, 2014
3.2

Harris Teeter CEO, Kroger Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Bonus checks depending on hours worked (in 32 reviews)

• Good pay for the amount of work you do (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • poor communication within the store management to their employees (in 23 reviews)

• Customer service micro-manages the front-end employees down to their bathroom breaks (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Great managers, excellent quality standards

Former Employee - Deli Clerk  in  Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time for more than a year

Pros

Harris Teeter has many locations to choose from. The public opinion of this growing company is very positive because the stores are clean, the customer service is excellent, and the store managers regularly engage and interact with their patrons.

Cons

The hourly wage is not competitive at Harris Teeter. You could earn the same wage or more working with other retailers. I came to Harris Teeter with a college degree wanting to work part-time and they only offered slightly more than minimum wage.

Very stable and decent work environment.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Gainesville, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Gainesville, VA

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stable growth, biannual profit sharing, medical insurance, decent hours.
    Good managers really make a difference in the entire store
    Opportunities in the whole store for work and growth.

Cons

Stores are either really slow with not enough employees or too busy with not enough employees.
    Most of the management is not prepared or keen on leading a store with diverse associates and needs.
    The whole company thrives on "on the job training" , managers are VERY unconcerned with employees being prepared for their job and more concerned with yelling at them for not getting their work done.

Retrain managers in managing and people relations.
    Take an earnest interest in training your employees rather than freaking out that the district manager MIGHT come by.
    Not being able to work with employees for BASIC or FAMILY needs for time off is a big problem.

Great Job Overall

Former Employee - Customer Service Clerk  in  Wake Forest, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Wake Forest, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Worked with a Great group of people that were fun to be around.
    Gained responsibilities pretty fast so there's opportunities to develop yourself.
    Bonus Checks!!!
    Annual raise

Cons

Can be alot of work at times.
    Can be understaffed at times to cut costs.
    May get called in if too understaffed, throwing a wrench in personal plans outside of work.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Job

Current Employee - Customer Service Clerk  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Bonus Checks, the ability to move up within the company is there, yearly price-of-living raises for part-timers and yearly evaluation raises for full-timers.

Cons

Communication between corporate and store level is not as good as it should be. The technology (( registers and equipment )) is extremely outdated. Wanting rules to be enforced, unless the customer is unhappy then to heck with the rules.

Upgrade the Registers and software used. Communicate better to the stores. And stay consistent. Get rid of rules/guidelines that are constantly waived for reasons of 'customer satisfaction'. What is the point of them if they are always waived?

Don't judge a book by its cover

Current Employee - Third Shift Grocery Stock  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Third Shift Grocery Stock in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits "if you're full time" Opportunities to advance "if you know the right people." as a part timer, never went below 20 hours so I guess that's good for $10 hr for a 3rd shifter. They really try to motivate you to suceed... hmm..

Cons

-They do not hire enough people, you can be scheduled from 10pm-6am and when you try to leave at 6 you're told "You can't leave until said job and area is done" Which there is no policy in their handbook or any rule that states they can. Sometimes you don't get a break or the manager/supervisors who usually have no idea what they're doing just talk over you and keep telling you what to do next . No gratitude whatsoever, personally I spent and went the extra mile to make an aisle look perfect, all my supervisor could do (mind you only there for 1.5 weeks ) Is how I should have done it over an hour ago, that I'm too slow, and I need to move faster (yet the other 1-3 people who work grocery move like slugs and don't get a thing said to them. The Favoritism is absolutely smack dab obvious, the managers seem to have no clue most times. Try to reason with them that you don't think your in the best spot, they tell you to apply to another position (but don't really help you further than that.) You get overworked and never thanked, or appreciated for it. Basically when interviewed and hired they give you a song and dance about how they strive to be the best, maybe to customers, but the way they treat their employees, I would more expect from walmart than a company that strives to be friendly and customer and equal work zone oriented. I have only been working for 2 weeks and not one real positive thing to say than besides what is on the paper or their advertisments!

Here is my advice to management, Learn how to treat your employees a heck of a lot better for what they punch in and do for you every day/night. When I come in to work, and I deal with others, I am friendly as can be, I was raised to treat customers, workmates like you would family, make them comfortable, for a company that bases itself on "Diversity" you are the farthest thing from it. I know Kroeger bought Harris Teeter over, and Publix has come into town. Nailing people for doctors notes calling in sick.. How ridiculous, ever stop and think maybe the employee who called in has no insurance? and can't afford to see a doctor? or maybe they are being courteous and not wanting to come in and contaminate the products your so kindly selling to your customers? no and I think this is a serious problem. I am not one to usually be a stickler or nitpick, but the two weeks I have been with the company , it has been nothing but nightmares. No one should have the sense of dread or uneasy ill feeling when they have to come work for you, Yes work should be work but, there's a difference between hard work, and cracking a whip and not ever saying thank you. Some companies have a bad store or some stores have a bad manager, but please for future reference, Take your employees concerns and needs more seriously, don't ignore them, Customers are important, but so are the employees who put in hour after hour, spending some of the money they broke their backs and butts for to keep your company profiting, learn how to treat them like human beings and not work mules . Please consider restructuring, and retraining your management especially in people skills!

I'd expect this behavior from juveniles, not professionals, take some lessons from the people at corporate or the ones who run the 4 hour classes you send your employees to, I will say those people who ran my class were amazing, and wish I could work in their stores they seem nice!

Eye Opener

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time

Pros

Great benefits, excellent tuition assistance program, employee discount, bonus program

Cons

There is very little support (in some cases) from those in salaried management. Lots of back stabbing, and 'I don't knows' which mean they do know and it's not looking good for you. Be careful: If you get aligned with a poor management staff you will fall at the wayside and will NOT get any opportunities for growth. MOST opportunities are given to 'buddies' and if you brown nose enough, you will get one.

Support those who want to progress and look at their merit and not their personal relationships. I don't want to spend my weekends drinking at the bar with my DM JUST to get ahead. Also, be upfront with your corporate opportunities. If you want to hire JUST salaried managers and friends say so.

There are days where I love Harris Teeter, and then there are other days...

Current Employee - Fresh Foods Clerk  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Fresh Foods Clerk in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay is wonderful. Associates are great.

Cons

Managers. Hours. Not fair. Some people are treated better than others.

No advancement, poor hours for part time

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time for less than a year

Pros

The work is fairly simple. That's... about it, really. Coworkers and management are hit-or-miss, sometimes you get a good one, sometimes...ugh. There's a twice-yearly 'bonus' thing, but when you're part-time with dwindling hours in the 8-15 range every week, it ends up being, like, $80. Combined. Also 401(k)s are available, but when you figure that and the fact that the cost of all of your gear (work shirts, aprons, nonslip shoes) is taken out of your already-unimpressive pay, it stops being so great.

Cons

The pay (A smidge above min.wage for part-time), the hours (or lack thereof), and the glass ceiling preventing part-timers from advancing to full-time.

I had two good managers while I worked for this chain. One was my dept. manager, the other was the store manager. To round things out, though, there were two bad ones as well. The first bad one was the miser who refused to let me- the one who was cross-training in like half the departments to get extra hours- help out stock, which was understaffed before a major holiday, because he didn't want to pay me more. I didn't really care about the pay. I cared that a friend of mine was going to be a zombie after getting through all her work. Still wasn't allowed to help.

Later on, for reasons that will not be explained but had nothing to do with work, I had to transfer to a store across town. I wanted a full-time job at the new place, I was told that I couldn't because I was in school and there was no way they would let someone taking college classes go full-time, even though I'd already taken precautions to avoid conflict. Also it's relevant to state that Part-timers are capped at 26 hours a week, and get in BIG trouble if they go over. So I lost that battle, and then asked for the one other opening I was interested in- a daytime job. Manager then proceeded to railroad me into a third-shift gig I DID NOT WANT, and after one miserable night, I ended up quitting without notice.

Treat the people who actually run the store a little better. We might stick around longer.

unapprecited

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

a job close to home

Cons

too many expectations for one person, they cut hours and employees hired are questionable at times

care about your workers as much as we (you) care about our customers. care about the aforementioned more than you care about shareholders and store managers bonuses.

Some benefits

Current Employee - Foods Clek  in  Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Foods Clek in Durham, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time for more than a year

Pros

Share 401 K. Flexible hours

Cons

Mostly part time, low wages, hard work.

Better compensated employees care more.

Worked for Harris Teeter? Contribute to the Community!