Harris Teeter

Updated December 20, 2014
3.2

Harris Teeter CEO, Kroger Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • bonus checks are great, very family friendly, good training (in 38 reviews)

• I had a great time working with everyone except any of the customer service managers (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • poor communication within the store management to their employees (in 29 reviews)

• Customer service micro-manages the front-end employees down to their bathroom breaks (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to work.

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time

Pros

Haris teeter is known for its great customer service. Harris teeter s great place to work for dues to: works with schedule, great employees, hard work pays off, and promotes with in.

Cons

Some cons that I encountered while working at Harris teeter: ability of having the same day off, Sometimes being expected to do the impossible, having to work every holiday.

unpredictable work for not much reward

Current Employee - Harris Teeter Cashier
    Current Employee - Harris Teeter Cashier

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time

Pros

generally flexible hours, generally high pay for a part-time job, generally positive environment, uniforms are professional, easy to have as a job if you are also in school, stores are clean and higher class than most other grocery stores, training is extensive and prepares you for the job, general culture is upbeat and positive

Cons

management micro-manages a lot, breaks and lunches are sometimes not given at all even during long shifts, no consideration for personal life; they will schedule you for as much as your availability will possibly allow, have to ask to leave work even if your shift is already over & if there are a lot of customers that day you may have to work way overtime unexpectedly, calls home are frequent and most of the time not important enough to warrant a call, almost no opportunity for advancement in the company, the work itself is quite dull, managers play favorites quite obviously, managers have gotten angry at employees for changing their appearance before (i.e. cutting their hair or dying it)

don't assume employees are able to work overtime just because there are a lot of customers in the store that day, if you do have favorites don't make it so obvious, don't talk down to employees

Interesting

Former Employee - Cashier/U-Scan Cashier in Indian Trail, NC
    Former Employee - Cashier/U-Scan Cashier in Indian Trail, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good chance for advancement, good incentives and benefits. There is also a good chance to do more things in store than just work a register, you can work in many different departments

Cons

The part-time hours vary weekly and it's hard to make a living on the lack of hours

Give more regular hours to the faithful workers who come in on time and go above and beyond

Eye Opener

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time

Pros

Great benefits, excellent tuition assistance program, employee discount, bonus program

Cons

There is very little support (in some cases) from those in salaried management. Lots of back stabbing, and 'I don't knows' which mean they do know and it's not looking good for you. Be careful: If you get aligned with a poor management staff you will fall at the wayside and will NOT get any opportunities for growth. MOST opportunities are given to 'buddies' and if you brown nose enough, you will get one.

Support those who want to progress and look at their merit and not their personal relationships. I don't want to spend my weekends drinking at the bar with my DM JUST to get ahead. Also, be upfront with your corporate opportunities. If you want to hire JUST salaried managers and friends say so.

There are days where I love Harris Teeter, and then there are other days...

Current Employee - Fresh Foods Clerk in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Fresh Foods Clerk in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay is wonderful. Associates are great.

Cons

Managers. Hours. Not fair. Some people are treated better than others.

No advancement, poor hours for part time

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The work is fairly simple. That's... about it, really. Coworkers and management are hit-or-miss, sometimes you get a good one, sometimes...ugh. There's a twice-yearly 'bonus' thing, but when you're part-time with dwindling hours in the 8-15 range every week, it ends up being, like, $80. Combined. Also 401(k)s are available, but when you figure that and the fact that the cost of all of your gear (work shirts, aprons, nonslip shoes) is taken out of your already-unimpressive pay, it stops being so great.

Cons

The pay (A smidge above min.wage for part-time), the hours (or lack thereof), and the glass ceiling preventing part-timers from advancing to full-time.

I had two good managers while I worked for this chain. One was my dept. manager, the other was the store manager. To round things out, though, there were two bad ones as well. The first bad one was the miser who refused to let me- the one who was cross-training in like half the departments to get extra hours- help out stock, which was understaffed before a major holiday, because he didn't want to pay me more. I didn't really care about the pay. I cared that a friend of mine was going to be a zombie after getting through all her work. Still wasn't allowed to help.

Later on, for reasons that will not be explained but had nothing to do with work, I had to transfer to a store across town. I wanted a full-time job at the new place, I was told that I couldn't because I was in school and there was no way they would let someone taking college classes go full-time, even though I'd already taken precautions to avoid conflict. Also it's relevant to state that Part-timers are capped at 26 hours a week, and get in BIG trouble if they go over. So I lost that battle, and then asked for the one other opening I was interested in- a daytime job. Manager then proceeded to railroad me into a third-shift gig I DID NOT WANT, and after one miserable night, I ended up quitting without notice.

Treat the people who actually run the store a little better. We might stick around longer.

Great managers, excellent quality standards

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Harris Teeter has many locations to choose from. The public opinion of this growing company is very positive because the stores are clean, the customer service is excellent, and the store managers regularly engage and interact with their patrons.

Cons

The hourly wage is not competitive at Harris Teeter. You could earn the same wage or more working with other retailers. I came to Harris Teeter with a college degree wanting to work part-time and they only offered slightly more than minimum wage.

Very stable and decent work environment.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Gainesville, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Gainesville, VA

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Stable growth, biannual profit sharing, medical insurance, decent hours.
    Good managers really make a difference in the entire store
    Opportunities in the whole store for work and growth.

Cons

Stores are either really slow with not enough employees or too busy with not enough employees.
    Most of the management is not prepared or keen on leading a store with diverse associates and needs.
    The whole company thrives on "on the job training" , managers are VERY unconcerned with employees being prepared for their job and more concerned with yelling at them for not getting their work done.

Retrain managers in managing and people relations.
    Take an earnest interest in training your employees rather than freaking out that the district manager MIGHT come by.
    Not being able to work with employees for BASIC or FAMILY needs for time off is a big problem.

Great Job Overall

Former Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Wake Forest, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Wake Forest, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with a Great group of people that were fun to be around.
    Gained responsibilities pretty fast so there's opportunities to develop yourself.
    Bonus Checks!!!
    Annual raise

Cons

Can be alot of work at times.
    Can be understaffed at times to cut costs.
    May get called in if too understaffed, throwing a wrench in personal plans outside of work.

Great Job

Current Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Bonus Checks, the ability to move up within the company is there, yearly price-of-living raises for part-timers and yearly evaluation raises for full-timers.

Cons

Communication between corporate and store level is not as good as it should be. The technology (( registers and equipment )) is extremely outdated. Wanting rules to be enforced, unless the customer is unhappy then to heck with the rules.

Upgrade the Registers and software used. Communicate better to the stores. And stay consistent. Get rid of rules/guidelines that are constantly waived for reasons of 'customer satisfaction'. What is the point of them if they are always waived?