Harris Teeter Reviews

Reset
3.4
Harris Teeter CEO, Kroger Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Profit sharing bonus checks, given twice a year, are also a nice perk (in 38 reviews)

• Customer service is number one priority (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • poor communication within the store management to their employees (in 29 reviews)

• Customer Service no longer there (in 26 reviews)

1. Awesome place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashburn, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashburn, VA

I worked at Harris Teeter

Pros

Great environment loving staff. Great customers as well

Cons

There are no cons literally

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

2. Above average

Former Employee - Fresh Foods Manager in Ashburn, VA
    Former Employee - Fresh Foods Manager in Ashburn, VA

I worked at Harris Teeter

Pros

Harris Teeter empowers employees to make things right for customers. Whenever I encountered an upset customer (as a department manager) I was confident that I would be supported in whatever decision I made. I never had even a single incident in which I was chided for making things right, which increased my confidence in dealing directly with customers rather than paging a manager and waiting while the customer stewed. Many of the managers I worked with were mature and professional, and treated their directs as responsible, well-paid professionals.

Cons

Many managers, especially at the store level, are petty and childish, constantly griping about under-performance of our teammates or their own lack of advancement. I suppose this is true everywhere, but they look especially bad given the superb quality of many of their colleagues.

Advice to Management

Focus on weeding out the immature managers. These folks are paid very well given requisite history and education, and your employees deserve professional business leadership.

3. Meat Clerk

Current Employee - Meat Clerk in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Meat Clerk in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Harris teeters offers great health care and savings plans for full-time workers. Hard working employees who start out in the meat department have the opportunity to move up very quickly through Harris Teeters' Meatcutter Apprenticeship program. The pay for becoming a meat cutter can be more than double the starting pay of a Meat Clerk. The Meat Cutter position is typically aqcuired after 8 months of apprenticeship and a final meat cutting test must be passed after the apprenticeship program. Failure to pass the meat cutting test could result in a decrease in pay. Passing the test will lead to a job title change and pay increase upon promotion. All employees also recieve 2 bonus checks each year of employment based on hours worked, pay rate, and how much the company as a whole makes that year.

Cons

So long as you work hard, there really isn't much downside. It is what you make of it. If you are a hard worker and offer great customer service, then you will be given the opportunity to move up to a higher position. If you are lazy.. then you will probably stay a meat clerk.

Advice to Management

Im sure all management teams are different depending on the store. Where I work, the management team works hard and they are very respectful to all Harris Teeters employees. Everyone works hard, is polite, and employees of lower positions are welcomed, not belittled. Great company to work for!

5. It's like any other part-time job

Former Employee - Barista in Purcellville, VA
    Former Employee - Barista in Purcellville, VA

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Had a great team lead, she understood my schedule as a college student working to pay bills. I enjoyed the majority of my co-workers and our regular customers made the shifts go by faster. It was great because we didn't have to balance the cash drawer or do any of that because the customer service department took care of that.

Cons

Terrible Store Manager, was not in touch with any of the departments needs. Constantly cut our hours and needed employees to cover shifts. Multiple times we were left alone during a rush period which caused upset customers. Granted it could just be this specific store.

Advice to Management

Make sure you know what's going on in all your departments, I know that it's a large company but leaving employees out to dry and deal with angry customers because we are understaffed and they have to wait for their morning coffee is a huge problem.

6. pastry chef

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is okay and the benefits are pretty good.

Cons

The company at times has unrealistic expectations, under staffing issues, no policies in place to protect employees.

Advice to Management

Back up your employees, not just customers.

7. Co-Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Harris Teeter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Associates - want to do a good job - want to advance

Cons

Work/Life Balance - when recruited this is the promise. However, EVERY holiday is "blacked-out" - meaning that you cannot take ANY time off. (EVERY holiday, long weekend, etc) You WILL work on Thanksgiving, you WILL be required in to check the store on Christmas as well. Recruiters promote that associates can 'earn' referral fees to bring in great talent; it is like pulling teeth to earn that fee (too many exceptions) - it's a shame because of so many stores they plan to open.

Advice to Management

Review with your Associates and under-Managers on their numbers; how to drive their numbers positively; 'how to earn bonuses' - Numbers aren't what drives this company - "conditions and behaviors" are. But in the end, every one is held accountable for their numbers. Update your training tools

8. Great company to come in from the outside.

Current Employee - Grocery Department Manager in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Grocery Department Manager in Reston, VA

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can move up the ladder very quickly at Harris Teeter.

Cons

People that come in from the outside make vastly more per hour than people who move up within the company. Roughly ~$6/hr more.

Advice to Management

Promote people to a higher base rate of pay to ensure that people don't take their experience elsewhere.

9. Cashier

Current Employee - MANAGER IN in Oxon Hill, MD
    Current Employee - MANAGER IN in Oxon Hill, MD

I have been working at Harris Teeter (More than 3 years)

Pros

The customers are awesome!!!! I love to go to work just to interact with them

Cons

Not enough hours.. Not enough communication.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your associates

10. Grocery Manager

Current Employee - Grocery Manager in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Grocery Manager in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Harris Teeter (More than 5 years)

Pros

Quality people and products. Competative wages.

Cons

As with all retail - excessive hours required. Nights / weekends / holidays.

11. Cashier

Current Employee - Harris Teeter Cashier in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Harris Teeter Cashier in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (More than a year)

Pros

good environment, pretty good pay 9.25

Cons

not many, pretty good easy job

RSS Feed </> Embed