Harris Teeter

Harris Teeter Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated Jul 13, 2014

Harris Teeter CEO, Kroger Rodney McMullen

Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Bonus checks depending on hours worked(in 30 reviews)

• Good pay for the amount of work you do(in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • poor communication within the store management to their employees(in 23 reviews)

• Customer service micro-manages the front-end employees down to their bathroom breaks(in 21 reviews)

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

harris teeter

Cashier (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsBonus checks twice a year

ConsLittle bit of hours given for cahiers

Advice to Senior Managementplease treat associates better!

Assistant Manager

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsTraining - in depth - anything you could want/need from on-hands training to financials. Really invest the time in you (but you have to drive YOUR training)

No problem with expectations that 'you come early and stay late'

ConsSystems are antiquated! Hopefully with Kroger partnership there will be an update in the IT.

It takes TOO LONG to move under-performing associates

Would like to utilize all the training and experience gained in day to day operations -

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many hands in the pot! Why do all levels of management get involved (from department supervisors all the way to RVPs) in the most basic of processes?

Year 1 at Harris Teeter

Overnight Stock Clerk (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Pros- Bi-Annual profit bonus checks

- Healthcare benefits for full and part time associates

- Great pay for part time associates

Cons- No schedule flexibility

- High demands, little respect

- Working overnight

Advice to Senior ManagementSomething has to be done with the lack of respect associates can receive from upper management. I came into Harris Teeter expecting a family vibe. But it has been far from that most night.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Low paying job

Frozen Dairy Clerk (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat stores and atmosphere but service varies

ConsPoor management which has no regard to the pay of the employees

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter management training

Fear driven company

Produce Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe dept head bonus is nice but they cut labor for 2 weeks leading up to it, so its really not a bonus at all.

ConsTeeter is a nice store but a horrible company. They are only concerned with not getting sued and they drive their employees with fear. I would never work for them again.

Advice to Senior Managementtoo many audits and loose the slip resistant shoes. I have never been in a store before where half the staff limps!!!

Customer Service

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Washington, DC

Pros-Got Plenty of hours during my time there

Cons-Pay was low
    -Overworked and no raise after promotion
    -Managers were lazy
    -Teenagers only worked there and were also lazy
    -Store policies of cash over/under was ridiculous because people always used other people's tills
    -Promised full time position but never happened, Worked maximum hours with little pay and no benefits

Not the place for me

Cheese Consultant (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGood Benefits
    Lots of opportunity to move forward

ConsLocation, Scheduling, concentration on all locations having equal leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementThe most senior management was good but the competition between people looking to move forward caused drama between employees, and other employees who knew they were moving forward gave up on their current position before they left causing low morale

Stay away from Harris Teeter

Management (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsHT does have a great program that gives incentives back to the associate, like $5.00 off their purchase or free or reduced cost on certain merchandise each month.

ConsLack of praise dominates Harris Teeter. Rarely, and I truely mean once in a blue moon is an associate or management complimented on a job well done. If and when a compliment is given, it is often a back handed slap meaning that you got the job done, but the next time you can do better. Bonuses do not come close to what was promised when interviewing with the company. Associates are under constant verbal treat of termination or demotion if goals are not met or exceeded. Support from Senior Staff is lacking direction with fragmented departments often sending conflicting or confusing information to store level. Multiple programs are constantly being introduced at store level (designed to improve conditions or productivity), however, this only leads to management and staff working to keep up on the demands of the programs rather then the needs of their customers. Management is told to stay on the floor but are hard pressed to do so due to the volume of information demanded by the mutiple programs. Senior management either refuses to believe the amount of time it takes to walk through every detail of these "time saving" programs. Ask any associate what it means by "The Plane is Arriving" or "A store walk is taking place with Senior Management " . They all know that panic takes place. Regular business of taking care of our customers stops. Everyone from Store Management down begins putting on a concealed face in their departments, hiding flaws and encroching on Over-Time due to the extra hours needed to put on a quick face lift. Money well spent? Hardly. And the stress placed on everyone is terrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementPraise your group. Step away from treats. Let your team run their locations with balance so that people want to come to work insead of dreading the idea of spending time their everyday. Harris Teeter is not well liked amoung its associates in the Northern Division. If asked, many, fearing their jobs will not tell the truth, but amoung themselves, the truth of incredable dissatisfaction is prominent. This is from Store Managers down to Front Service Personel.

Worked for Harris Teeter? Contribute to the Community!