Harris Williams

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dena Frith Moore

Create culture, good career building, long hours

Analyst (Former Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsGreat place for recent grads to start their careers out of either undergrad or college. You get a lot of responsibility and exposure relative to other investment banks. Culture is very positive and the firm treats young employees well so long as they are good performers.

ConsThe expectations are tough and the hours are long, so it can be easy to get burned out if you are not cut out for the role. most people that go into banking know what they are signing up for so this should not be a surprise.

Good for analysts aspiring to PE

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent deal flow, less idea pitching (changing with increased industry specialization), good pay, runs a very tight sell-side process (good blueprint)

ConsMost origination by a handful of the most senior bankers: H, Chris, Tiff, Glenn, Turner (somewhat). Most of the other "senior bankers" got there by kissing the right A. HW is primarily a seller to PEGs, don't know industries or strategic buyers well: was once told that P&G needed to be on every consumer buyers list, Monday morning meeting deal review focuses on EBITDA size for potential assignments, often can't even say what the co. does, there's always a rush to try to connect with corp dev folks at bis companies to come up with a sound bite for the pitch. Rarely turn down a deal or give objective advice that a company isn't sellable (had more than a few implode during the process...and even then we wouldn't tell the PEG seller that they should pull the process). "Senior level attention" not real - junior bankers are expected to provide almost daily email updates which enable the MD to sound informed when the PEG calls for a status update.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of a LOT of the non-producing MDs who are playing "Senior Banker" and let someone else step up.

Great firm, great people

Associate (Current Employee)

ProsGreat people, great deal flow

ConsVery busy, long hours, hard to get away

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, no growth opportunities for support roles.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsExposure to the some of the smartest and hardest working individuals I have ever met. Great team, wonderful environment, and the resources to effectively execute your job.

ConsIf you are in a support role (i.e. not a banker) there are not opportunities for advancement. You will receive annual bonuses and raises, however they are not based on seniority or responsibilities but how much your team was allotted in their bonus pool. The compensation distribution for support staff needs to be ironed out.

Former Analyst

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsGood brands and access to PE.

ConsLong hours and some weaker MDs.

Great job

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsHard, great visibility to clients

ConsLong hours, hard work at times

Advice to Senior ManagementLess hours!

Decent place to work (for an investment bank) - but will still be putting in looong hours

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly southern culture and can be very financially rewarding

ConsOld fashioned in the way a lot of things are done - i.e. things take longer and work can be very tedious

Worked for Harris Williams? Contribute to the Community!