Harrisburg Area Community College

3.5

CEO

Awesome place to work!

I worked at Harrisburg Area Community College

Pros

Fellow employees, great pay, and great benefits.

Cons

Communication sometimes is not the best.

Adjunct

I worked at Harrisburg Area Community College as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Nice experience teaching at the college level.

Cons

Communication was limited between departments at the main campus and satellite campuses.

I had over 18 years of good employment at HACC.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Harrisburg Area Community College full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some sites are like family. Benefits are generally good.

Cons

The current atmosphere is not as good as it used to be.

Great mission, excellent instructor support, some recent changes

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Harrisburg Area Community College part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I really enjoy the mission of HACC. I think we offer excellent affordable educational opportunities for a wide variety of people to meet their educational goals.

Cons

It has always been a place where there was great support for instructors and students. I could always find help when I needed it. Lately there have been a lot of changes. This makes it a little confusing, but there has been a significant effort given to communicating the changes, polling faculty, staff and students about their views, and the high quality of instruction and support is still evident. They have had some new practices and new requirements that were never communicated with faculty until discussed in individual reviews. Very poor form, but I think not typical and I am hopeful that this important communication gap will be addressed.

Communicate all process changes, but especially review processes and new instructional requirements to faculty and staff.

A amazing college with a rich history and traditionally excellent programs, currently facing an uncertain future.

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Harrisburg Area Community College part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The colleagues and friendships I have developed over the years have been invaluable. The experience I have gained has enriched my life. Also, its a beautiful campus!

Cons

Teaching schedule varies GREATLY each semester. Often not given enough notice to prepare a course before a semester starts.

Communication is key. Consult the faculty and staff rather than outside contractors for important projects.

Very disorganized (HACC Lebanon)

Former Employee - Student Tutor in Lebanon, PA
    Former Employee - Student Tutor in Lebanon, PA

I worked at Harrisburg Area Community College part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The Learning Center staff and fellow student tutors were friendly, and the overall environment in the Learning Center is friendly. The pay is decent considering I've had much worse and more demanding jobs that paid less. Schedules are flexible and are set when you say are available (though if you're schedule is very limited, be prepared to be asked multiple times if you can work on additional days).

Cons

No one seems to know any real information. My first paycheck was late because I was not given a form that had to be filled out. It was not my mistake, but I had to wait another two weeks for a paycheck (which I really needed for groceries). The form was submitted about two weeks before payday, yet they couldn't get that first paycheck to me in time. (Payday is 14 days after the pay period ends, falling just under the legal limit of 15 days.) The ending date for student tutors for the semester was also very vague because of additional snow make-up days.

At times, the work itself was very headache-inducing. As a HACC student, I know that some instructors require students to go to the Learning Center and get a signature for an assignment. It seemed to me that some instructors also sent students to the Learning Center rather than teaching them properly. Student tutors are not instructors, neither in education levels nor in pay. It actually seemed as if these instructors were trying to prove that the Learning Center (and the library) is worth funding, and so they forced students to go there.

There were a lot of tech problems -- IT was in the Learning Center fixing problems more often than should be required. The computers and the printer would randomly have issues. I know that one day during finals the printers in both the Learning Center and the library were down. Two of us wanted to print additional notes for an open-book test and could not because of the tech problems.

Better communication is needed between all employees, especially when concerning payroll. Invest in better technology, such as better computers. Also, students should not be "forced" to use the Learning Center or library -- the students are adults and can make their own decisions whether to use the resources available or not.

A Great Example of "The Community College Experience".

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in York, PA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in York, PA

I have been working at Harrisburg Area Community College part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a great college with dedicated staff, always eager to help it's students! It also has a family atmosphere that I know helps the students to move forward during their time here.

Cons

One issue that the college consistently has is issues with technology. There are computers for the students to use, but they are not always working properly. I have also often heard that complaint from teachers trying to use computers during their classes. That needs to be better addressed, to assist both students and faculty.

There should be better campus wide communication! Daily emails help allot, but there are many that don't seem to follow the protocol. There should also be better recruitment for new positions from within the college.

Great college great people

I have been working at Harrisburg Area Community College

Pros

Great for your first year of college if your nervous about moving away and staying at some far away university. It got me use to college life like class style, etc. It's also pretty cheep and offers a lot for being a community college. I'd say it rivals some of the larger university around the area.

Cons

A stable and friendly environment to visit everyday.

I worked at Harrisburg Area Community College part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility in work schedule
    Excellent pay scale increases
    Friendly environment

Cons

Poor communication
    No standards or employee inclusion for part time employees

Communication skills and a framework for including part time employees was desperately lacking, especially those that are not in the credit side of the college. I often felt as if I wasn't included in department meetings or open discussions about the status of the campus. My coworkers were very friendly and helpful, but I don't think they ever knew exactly what my position was or duties were, even though I tried to explain. Senior level staff should have made sure to introduce me and train me in the flow of the working environment.

The atmosphere and culture has changed over the years and sadly, not all to the best.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at Harrisburg Area Community College full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits of working for a college are many and wonderful. Free classes and degrees are among the best benefits.

Cons

The uncertainty over the last few years has become palpable and almost visible. I was at one time certain I would retire from HACC but sadly that will not happen now.

Please stop before you completely ruin the college!