Harrisburg Area Community College

Reset
3.9
CEO

1. Caring and supportive educational commuity

I have been working at Harrisburg Area Community College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Diverse team of professionals who are focused on the success of students. HACC encourages and fosters an environment that promotes a balance between work and home life.

Cons

There is a great need for employee development, both professional and personal. Tuition reimbursement can be a hurdle for someone trying to further their professional education.

Advice to Management

Tap into the talents of the professionals in the HACC community. Professional development can and should be a collaborative community experience.

2. HACC Lancaster

I worked at Harrisburg Area Community College

Pros

I learned quite a bit about the inner workings of the college just by working there. It was a great learning experience, and also gave me valuable experience in leadership and office work that I can apply today.

Cons

Every college has bureaucracy, and this is no exception. Dealing with many different offices and levels of administration, each with their own goals, can be frustrating, but it's just part of the job.

Advice to Management

Always try to see things from the students' perspective, and consider what is going to help low income and nontraditional students stay in college, because they are a huge part of the student body.

3. Newspaper Business Manager

Current Employee - Business Manager in Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Business Manager in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at Harrisburg Area Community College part-time

Pros

Working for the paper and selling advertising was fun. I got to meet a lot of interesting people with eclectic personalities.

Cons

The student advisor was not very business minded and it was difficult to get her to understand that business deals can take some time to work out.

5. Wonderful job!

I have been working at Harrisburg Area Community College

Pros

Working with people that have passion for education. Good hourly wage for adjunct faculty. Minimal stress job.

Cons

No advancement without a college degree. Makes sense being a college, but within the work force, shouldn't be mandatory. Not many raises to salary.

Advice to Management

Think about a yearly raise.

6. A very rewarding place to work.

I have been working at Harrisburg Area Community College

Pros

The overall compensation package is in line with the market. The fact that you are helping people achieve their goals through education is priceless.

Cons

As with any large organization communication can be a challenge sometimes. It does appear management is trying to address through a variety of channels such as newsletters.

7. Awesome place to work!

I worked at Harrisburg Area Community College

Pros

Fellow employees, great pay, and great benefits.

Cons

Communication sometimes is not the best.

8. I had over 18 years of good employment at HACC.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Harrisburg Area Community College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some sites are like family. Benefits are generally good.

Cons

The current atmosphere is not as good as it used to be.

9. Great mission, excellent instructor support, some recent changes

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Harrisburg Area Community College part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I really enjoy the mission of HACC. I think we offer excellent affordable educational opportunities for a wide variety of people to meet their educational goals.

Cons

It has always been a place where there was great support for instructors and students. I could always find help when I needed it. Lately there have been a lot of changes. This makes it a little confusing, but there has been a significant effort given to communicating the changes, polling faculty, staff and students about their views, and the high quality of instruction and support is still evident. They have had some new practices and new requirements that were never communicated with faculty until discussed in individual reviews. Very poor form, but I think not typical and I am hopeful that this important communication gap will be addressed.

Advice to Management

Communicate all process changes, but especially review processes and new instructional requirements to faculty and staff.

10. A amazing college with a rich history and traditionally excellent programs, currently facing an uncertain future.

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Harrisburg Area Community College part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The colleagues and friendships I have developed over the years have been invaluable. The experience I have gained has enriched my life. Also, its a beautiful campus!

Cons

Teaching schedule varies GREATLY each semester. Often not given enough notice to prepare a course before a semester starts.

Advice to Management

Communication is key. Consult the faculty and staff rather than outside contractors for important projects.

11. Very disorganized (HACC Lebanon)

Former Employee - Student Tutor in Lebanon, PA
    Former Employee - Student Tutor in Lebanon, PA

I worked at Harrisburg Area Community College part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Learning Center staff and fellow student tutors were friendly, and the overall environment in the Learning Center is friendly. The pay is decent considering I've had much worse and more demanding jobs that paid less. Schedules are flexible and are set when you say are available (though if you're schedule is very limited, be prepared to be asked multiple times if you can work on additional days).

Cons

No one seems to know any real information. My first paycheck was late because I was not given a form that had to be filled out. It was not my mistake, but I had to wait another two weeks for a paycheck (which I really needed for groceries). The form was submitted about two weeks before payday, yet they couldn't get that first paycheck to me in time. (Payday is 14 days after the pay period ends, falling just under the legal limit of 15 days.) The ending date for student tutors for the semester was also very vague because of additional snow make-up days. At times, the work itself was very headache-inducing. As a HACC student, I know that some instructors require students to go to the Learning Center and get a signature for an assignment. It seemed to me that some instructors also sent students to the Learning Center rather than teaching them properly. Student tutors are not instructors, neither in education levels nor in pay. It actually seemed as if these instructors were trying to prove that the Learning Center (and the library) is worth funding, and so they forced students to go there. There were a lot of tech problems -- IT was in the Learning Center fixing problems more often than should be required. The computers and the printer would randomly have issues. I know that one day during finals the printers in both the Learning Center and the library were down. Two of us wanted to print additional notes for an open-book test and could not because of the tech problems.

Advice to Management

Better communication is needed between all employees, especially when concerning payroll. Invest in better technology, such as better computers. Also, students should not be "forced" to use the Learning Center or library -- the students are adults and can make their own decisions whether to use the resources available or not.

RSS Feed </> Embed