Harrison College Reviews

Supportive Work Environment

Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Morrisville, NC

I worked at Harrison College

Pros

Professors help and support each other.
    Administration works directly with professors on student issues.
    Director and dean are extremely supportive of professors.
    Fantastic work environment. I always looked forward to working each day.

Cons

Professors deal with tons of paperwork and trainings.
    Technology is a little slow.
    Salary is lower than might be expected at an equivalent job.
    Professors are there to serve the students.

Advice to Management

The Chefs Academy is a fantastic place to work. I would recommend it to anyone in the culinary field that would like to teach. The only con that management could impact would be the catering to students. However, the school is a private institution that receives money based on attendance, so I understand the reason behind this initiative.

2. Financial Aid

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Harrison College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A wonderful environment, great team and rewarding work. The company is focused on development both individually and as a team. They aren't afraid of change.

Cons

The experience in individual campuses very greatly based on that campus' president.

Cult-Like Office Environment

I worked at Harrison College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This college provides support for students that need one on one attention, however while providing a good classroom environment and excellent faculty, these students are set up for financial failure due to the exhorbitant tuition cost and fees.

Cons

Harrison College has a mission statement that says they support students and support employee family. I found this to be a farce. The longer I worked here the more I realized that profit margin became the sole goal of this organization. I do believe that this college is a place where some students can be successful when they have failed at other colleges, but the type of jobs these financially challenged students will get after graduation will not pay them enough to make it possible to ever pay off their student loans. There is a high default rate on private loans with these students.
    Working here may seem great at first, but there is a cultish atmosphere in the office and if you are different, you will be shunned by employees. Management says they support employees but when the ball gets dropped, they often blame lower level employees for decisions management made in error. There is a high level of micromanagement that shouldn't exist in a professional atmosphere where proven positive performance records are in place. Good work performance is not rewarded, but any mistakes are recorded as failures immediately.

Upper management employees are very unfriendly and not approachable. this is a results driven company with no room for employee support. New procedures and policies are not communicated effectively or in a timely fashion. The amount of daily policychanges conveyed to employees is absolutely ridiculous and often includes redundant procedures designed to create more work for already overwhemed employees, ensuring that compliance to policy changes is at best confusing and chaotic.

Advice to Management

Don't fall prey to this cultish atmosphere. While upper management says they support diversity, theydo not ensure that it occurs at the campus level. If you are different, you don't fit in here. To the President, Jason Conesco, you should have followed in your father's footsteps and made your staff and students a priority. Instead you have created a hostile working environment where employees fear for their jobs on a daily basis. Your employees are not happy with pay, benefits and treatment from management. You should spend more time with lower level employees to see what they experience on a daily basis. Maybe you would learn to teach management to support their employees instead of breaking them down.

5. Worklife

Current Employee - Instructor in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Instructor in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Harrison College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work life, friendly co-workers

Cons

Poor communication from management to Mid-Level Management

Financial Aid Analyst

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Harrison College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere
    Family oriented company
    Flexible hours

Cons

For profit schools only care about volume
    Frequent layoffs and uncertainty in a federally regulated industry
    Sometimes you feel that you are not helping the students rather putting them in debt

Advice to Management

reform your business model

7. Instructor in Health Sciences program

Former Employee - Instructor in Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Instructor in Evansville, IN

I worked at Harrison College (More than 3 years)

Pros

Student-focused career college that is supportive of faculty and staff development

Cons

The main campus and administrative offices are in Indianapolis, IN.

Advice to Management

Qualified and caring Deans and Campus Presidents are so important in good student retention and staff job satisfaction

Honest Review

I have been working at Harrison College

Pros

- Coworkers are great
    - Good benefits
    - Fairly flexible work environment (ie, summer hours)
    - Rewarding when you see students succeed

Recommendation to anyone considering employment here: Educate yourself about for-profit colleges, there is a lot of scrutiny around the industry (some true, some not), but you should definitely be informed before you decide to accept a position at Harrison.

Cons

- Lots of changes that impact people's employment (multiple reductions in force in the last few years).
    - President/CEO is not very visible. I work in the same office as him and when a significant amount of employees were let go in our office, he didn't even address it, yet he'll call an all company meeting for new sales campaigns.
    - Upward mobility is almost impossible in some departments (but not all).
    - Management training is not provided to employees. In our department, the manager is horrible, but most likely due to being promoted out of need, not performance and lack of training.

Advice to Management

Keep employees informed of growth strategy for the organization. When I started we were pursuing Bachelor's & Master's degree programs and now the company is moving toward continuing education and certificates, those are drastic changes in a few years and employees deserve an explanation.

9. Excellent Institution

I worked at Harrison College full-time

Pros

Excellent people and nurturing culture!

Cons

Facing challenges with ever changing higher ed market.

Advice to Management

Continue focusing on strengths.

Decent proprietary school that has management who seems to focus on contradictory statements about values

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Harrison College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Vacation and Sick days, good paid holidays. Some campuses have better work environments than others. When actually applied, core principal of "Faith, Family, Job" is great.

Cons

Very limited possibility for upward mobility, seemingly "rightsizing" every 6 months, Company leadership seems focused on retention, yet enrolls students who will clearly not be successful in their programs. Admissions is sales number driven, yet the core of the company is very student driven which leads to a lot of contradictory issues that seem to drive everything to a halt.

Advice to Management

Decide on whether or not to keep leadership personal that push for customers who won't stay or educating students.

11. Wonderful and fun work family

I have been working at Harrison College

Pros

the best place I have worked since I was 16. Every single person is friendly and cares for each other.

Cons

there are no cons, that is my opinion

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

RSS Feed </> Embed