Harrison College

Harrison College Reviews

Updated May 28, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great experience while I was there

Registrar (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsVery family oriented. With the prior President Ken Konesco, the mission of the company was family first. My direct managers have always been very accommodating and encouraging. I've had several roles due to promotions. The campus was very nice since it allowed a more home feeling.

ConsMajor lay offs within the company after I left due to relocating out of state. Just recently another layoff has been taken place and the majority of my good friends have been laid due to slow economic growth. Administration/Headquarters was more just a corporate job feel to it and didn't feel as valued as working with a campus.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop creating titles for unnecessary positions and then lay the position off in a couple of year. There are so many "Director of" positions that can all be condensed to one Regional position.

Jan 15, 2014

Thank you for your comments. We value your feedback, and your advice to senior management will be shared with the Executive Committee.

Was a great place, now just average, difficult industry

Instructor (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsThe organization has a great vision and mission. The people that work there are smart and have heart. Try to provide for work-life balance, depends on your role & supervisor.

ConsThe industry, since 2009, has gotten particularly difficult and the whole sector is handling it in very different ways, Harrison is still trying to figure it out. Compensation is moderate. Work-life balance is less and less.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of the weeds and lead. Make a future for the organization, don't just talk about it. Don't be afraid of asking the tough questions, getting to the heart of a matter, and even looking in the mirror. Don't just be a talking head.

Short but Sweet

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsHarrison has a great mission and most of the people that I worked with were very committed to it. Everything revolved around how to best serve the students and around changing people's lives. This attitude of service extended beyond the job and into company sponsored service projects. If you want to feel like you are making a difference in the world, this is a great place to be.

ConsAt the time I worked there, the organization was going through tremendous change and I don't think they really had a clear vision of what kind of changes were going to produce the results they wanted. They hired a lot of people and laid off a lot of people within the time I worked there.

There wasn't good communication between different areas of the organization. With all the changes going on, often the left hand didn't know what the right was doing. There was desperate need for a better coordination of work between different functional areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communication, but not in the form of email. Meet with people face-to-face and ensure that different groups are working together toward common goals. Communication and alignment need to be improved.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall, a good organization

ProsOverall, it's a positive organization. They give you the freedom to do your job and contribute. I find management is very encouraging and open to ideas.

ConsNot competitive enough with pay, and too many projects, meetings and reports.... geez. Focus more on the students!

Advice to Senior ManagementNot competitive enough with pay, and too many meetings and reports.... geez.

The growth opportunities were fantastic

ProsCompletely supportive of employees. There was a great work/life balance. Upper managment was very personable and always tried to communicate well with everyone.

ConsHad to constantly overcome bad reputation of the school. Unfortunately, too many dissatisfied students and employers. Its not the right place for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice would be to continue to communcate important changes, opportunities for advancement, and professional development that is to be supported

Harrison College is one of the Best Places to Work

Director of Career Services (Current Employee)

ProsHarrison College Senior Management team is amazing. They make everyone feel as if we are one family. They strive to strategically plan growth and encourage employees to do their best work.

It is wonderful assisting students in their educational goals and find opportunities upon graduation. Harrison is not like other institutions and is family operated. I feel my opinions matter.

Harrison has an excellent vacation package and has been voted one of the best places to work for the past 3 years. Harrison offers Associate and Bachelor degree courses in a variety of areas to meet the adult learners needs. They offer flexible scheduling, online learning and hybrid courses as well as life time placement assistance.

ConsThe health benefit package is rather expensive for a family or a single mother. The tuition reimbursement package could be better; however, Harrison does offer free courses or even programs to be taken by employees and their immediate family.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the excellent work! You are doing a great job and thank you for valuing your employees as much as you do. We truly appreciate it!

Online Admissions Rep experience

Admissions Representative (Former Employee)

ProsHarrison College is a great place to work because of fun, supportive and engaging atmosphere. There is room for advancement within the institution.

ConsWorking for a Career School as an Online Admissions Rep can be very stressful because of the nature of the job being very sales driven and competition amongst co-workers, long hours spent on the phone making nonstop outbound calls to the same leads everyday (felt like telemarketing at times) and working long non traditional hours.

This is a good job/great opportunity for "right" person who doesn’t mind what I described above. I truly enjoyed the people I worked with including management and I would recommend working there to anyone. Online Admissions just wasn’t a good fit for me no other reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Change in culture - enrollment/revenues dropping

Director of Student Affairs (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsVery nice people - dedicated professionals. The culture of the place used to be very open and pretty generous. The dedication to employees was front and center - with priorities defined for employees as 1. faith, 2. family, 3. health and then 4. job. I believe the company truly lived these values - and continues to seek to. The Cons below, though, have made it tougher to make this happen.

ConsFor-profit sector really taking it on the chin lately. Enrollments are falling, along with revenues. Recent layoffs have chilled the work environment and previously strong culture. The business side of the company is making decisions based on the values tougher to sustain. The recent layoffs were budget-driven, with nearly 25% of the workforce laid off within the last month or so.

Advice to Senior ManagementHang in there. Be more transparent about what just happened.

Every week threatened that you will lose your job

Admissions Representative (Former Employee)

ProsHourly pay so you do get paid every hour you work

ConsThe people do not feel secure in their jobs. You are threatened if you do not get the expected enrollments. Also management does not like you talking to other employees or representatives. It is crazy!! Most of the time students do not enroll because the school is too expensive. The college tuition is outrageously high for the degrees the students end up with. They can go somewhere else for a third of the price and not have all that debt when they get out. Also certain locations are at risk of being closed down like the Muncie location. Many students are forced into taking online classes because there are few campus classes available. There is no job security here. They fire people without just cause or warning. Also there is no work/ life balance here because you work a lot of late evenings - not good for someone with a family. There are some nice people that work there but over all, the culture is terrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more realistic expectations. Open your eyes to what is really going on. Treat people with more respect and equality.

Hate the last day of the term - will I still have a job at the end of the day- knot in my stomach.

ProsGood benefits and allows you to volunteer on a work day.

ConsPoor pay compared to others in town, NO communication even between upper management, allows a lot of unethical behavior from employees as long as they produce results, and continue to higher upper management/ provosts but not those that work with the client daily.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease stop with all the reports, survey's and other items where the right questions are not asked. Instead of parties how about equipment that works and raises truly based on performance not the amount of money available or just be honest that the money is not available.

Jan 15, 2014

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding your experience at Harrison College. We appreciate that you have taken the time to highlight positive aspects of your experience with the College as ... More

Worked for Harrison College? Contribute to the Community!