Harrison College

Great culture!

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Harrison College

Pros

Values are great, great people.

Cons

Tough hours, but need to reflect hours for students.

Excellent Company

I worked at Harrison College

Pros

Good work/life balance and opportunities for growth

Cons

None that I can think of

Keep up the great working atmosphere

Great experience while I was there

Current Employee - Registrar in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Registrar in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Harrison College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very family oriented. With the prior President Ken Konesco, the mission of the company was family first. My direct managers have always been very accommodating and encouraging. I've had several roles due to promotions. The campus was very nice since it allowed a more home feeling.

Cons

Major lay offs within the company after I left due to relocating out of state. Just recently another layoff has been taken place and the majority of my good friends have been laid due to slow economic growth. Administration/Headquarters was more just a corporate job feel to it and didn't feel as valued as working with a campus.

Stop creating titles for unnecessary positions and then lay the position off in a couple of year. There are so many "Director of" positions that can all be condensed to one Regional position.

Harrison College Response

Jan 15, 2014Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your comments. We value your feedback, and your advice to senior management will be shared with the Executive Committee.

Good School

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Harrison College

Pros

Professional Development; Caring Instructional Coaches

Cons

You don't get to design your own course. Instructional designers create the course which leads to frustration on instructors' behalf. Instructors cannot be creative in the classroom to learning outcomes are met. Instructors must call absent students on a regular basis which is borderline harassment. Quarterly calls are boring and annoying. We use WebEx but still have to phone in and listen to the call. Background noises (trains, dog's barking, etc) interfere with the quality of the phone conference.

Give instructors permission to modify course content. Hire instructional designers who have a teaching background.

Was a great place, now just average, difficult industry

Former Employee - Instructor in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Instructor in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Harrison College full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The organization has a great vision and mission. The people that work there are smart and have heart. Try to provide for work-life balance, depends on your role & supervisor.

Cons

The industry, since 2009, has gotten particularly difficult and the whole sector is handling it in very different ways, Harrison is still trying to figure it out. Compensation is moderate. Work-life balance is less and less.

Get out of the weeds and lead. Make a future for the organization, don't just talk about it. Don't be afraid of asking the tough questions, getting to the heart of a matter, and even looking in the mirror. Don't just be a talking head.

Short but Sweet

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Harrison College full-time

Pros

Harrison has a great mission and most of the people that I worked with were very committed to it. Everything revolved around how to best serve the students and around changing people's lives. This attitude of service extended beyond the job and into company sponsored service projects. If you want to feel like you are making a difference in the world, this is a great place to be.

Cons

At the time I worked there, the organization was going through tremendous change and I don't think they really had a clear vision of what kind of changes were going to produce the results they wanted. They hired a lot of people and laid off a lot of people within the time I worked there.

There wasn't good communication between different areas of the organization. With all the changes going on, often the left hand didn't know what the right was doing. There was desperate need for a better coordination of work between different functional areas.

More communication, but not in the form of email. Meet with people face-to-face and ensure that different groups are working together toward common goals. Communication and alignment need to be improved.

Harrison College Response

Jan 15, 2014Director of Human Resources

Overall, a good organization

I have been working at Harrison College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, it's a positive organization. They give you the freedom to do your job and contribute. I find management is very encouraging and open to ideas.

Cons

Not competitive enough with pay, and too many projects, meetings and reports.... geez. Focus more on the students!

Not competitive enough with pay, and too many meetings and reports.... geez.

The growth opportunities were fantastic

I have been working at Harrison College

Pros

Completely supportive of employees. There was a great work/life balance. Upper managment was very personable and always tried to communicate well with everyone.

Cons

Had to constantly overcome bad reputation of the school. Unfortunately, too many dissatisfied students and employers. Its not the right place for everyone.

My advice would be to continue to communcate important changes, opportunities for advancement, and professional development that is to be supported

Harrison College is one of the Best Places to Work

Current Employee - Director of Career Services
    Current Employee - Director of Career Services

I have been working at Harrison College

Pros

Harrison College Senior Management team is amazing. They make everyone feel as if we are one family. They strive to strategically plan growth and encourage employees to do their best work.

It is wonderful assisting students in their educational goals and find opportunities upon graduation. Harrison is not like other institutions and is family operated. I feel my opinions matter.

Harrison has an excellent vacation package and has been voted one of the best places to work for the past 3 years. Harrison offers Associate and Bachelor degree courses in a variety of areas to meet the adult learners needs. They offer flexible scheduling, online learning and hybrid courses as well as life time placement assistance.

Cons

The health benefit package is rather expensive for a family or a single mother. The tuition reimbursement package could be better; however, Harrison does offer free courses or even programs to be taken by employees and their immediate family.

Keep up the excellent work! You are doing a great job and thank you for valuing your employees as much as you do. We truly appreciate it!

Online Admissions Rep experience

Former Employee - Admissions Representative
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative

I worked at Harrison College

Pros

Harrison College is a great place to work because of fun, supportive and engaging atmosphere. There is room for advancement within the institution.

Cons

Working for a Career School as an Online Admissions Rep can be very stressful because of the nature of the job being very sales driven and competition amongst co-workers, long hours spent on the phone making nonstop outbound calls to the same leads everyday (felt like telemarketing at times) and working long non traditional hours.

This is a good job/great opportunity for "right" person who doesn’t mind what I described above. I truly enjoyed the people I worked with including management and I would recommend working there to anyone. Online Admissions just wasn’t a good fit for me no other reason.

N/A