Harrison College Reviews

Bad and getting worse

Former Employee - Campus President  in  Lafayette, IN
    Former Employee - Campus President in Lafayette, IN

I worked at Harrison College full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best thing about working there is that they always make payroll. The pay is not much, but at least you get a small check every 2 weeks or so.

Cons

The worst thing about working there is that it is SO depressing. The upper management lives high on the hog and makes the actual workers worry about getting fired each day. Meanwhile this college is up to its neck in worthless administrators who talk about the vision and ideals of the place without ever actually talking to a student or faculty member.

I think it is time to sell the college to a company that will trim the fat and operate the college efficiently. The emphasis should be on education and not creating layers of management that are a drain on the college's very shaky resources.

A bad experience

I have been working at Harrison College

Pros

The instructors were nice and the losses were small.

Cons

I was forced to take a lot of online classes. The last semester in clinicals we didn't have the help we were promised and they didn't prepare us for the aama exam Like they were suppose to. Now that I graduated I never get any help with job searching like they said I would.

Disorganized and Misleading Hiring Practices

I have been working at Harrison College

Pros

* The student and staff are nice
    * Family-oriented

Cons

* Disorganized
    * Misleading hiring practices
    * Instructors walk around like they are better than everyone else
    * Heard some office gossip

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Was a great place, now just average, difficult industry

Former Employee - Instructor  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Instructor in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Harrison College full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The organization has a great vision and mission. The people that work there are smart and have heart. Try to provide for work-life balance, depends on your role & supervisor.

Cons

The industry, since 2009, has gotten particularly difficult and the whole sector is handling it in very different ways, Harrison is still trying to figure it out. Compensation is moderate. Work-life balance is less and less.

Get out of the weeds and lead. Make a future for the organization, don't just talk about it. Don't be afraid of asking the tough questions, getting to the heart of a matter, and even looking in the mirror. Don't just be a talking head.

Every week threatened that you will lose your job

Former Employee - Admissions Representative
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative

I worked at Harrison College full-time

Pros

Hourly pay so you do get paid every hour you work

Cons

The people do not feel secure in their jobs. You are threatened if you do not get the expected enrollments. Also management does not like you talking to other employees or representatives. It is crazy!! Most of the time students do not enroll because the school is too expensive. The college tuition is outrageously high for the degrees the students end up with. They can go somewhere else for a third of the price and not have all that debt when they get out. Also certain locations are at risk of being closed down like the Muncie location. Many students are forced into taking online classes because there are few campus classes available. There is no job security here. They fire people without just cause or warning. Also there is no work/ life balance here because you work a lot of late evenings - not good for someone with a family. There are some nice people that work there but over all, the culture is terrible.

Have more realistic expectations. Open your eyes to what is really going on. Treat people with more respect and equality.

Great experience while I was there

Current Employee - Registrar  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Registrar in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Harrison College full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very family oriented. With the prior President Ken Konesco, the mission of the company was family first. My direct managers have always been very accommodating and encouraging. I've had several roles due to promotions. The campus was very nice since it allowed a more home feeling.

Cons

Major lay offs within the company after I left due to relocating out of state. Just recently another layoff has been taken place and the majority of my good friends have been laid due to slow economic growth. Administration/Headquarters was more just a corporate job feel to it and didn't feel as valued as working with a campus.

Stop creating titles for unnecessary positions and then lay the position off in a couple of year. There are so many "Director of" positions that can all be condensed to one Regional position.

Jan 15, 2014Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your comments. We value your feedback, and your advice to senior management will be shared with the Executive Committee.

Hate the last day of the term - will I still have a job at the end of the day- knot in my stomach.

I have been working at Harrison College

Pros

Good benefits and allows you to volunteer on a work day.

Cons

Poor pay compared to others in town, NO communication even between upper management, allows a lot of unethical behavior from employees as long as they produce results, and continue to higher upper management/ provosts but not those that work with the client daily.

Please stop with all the reports, survey's and other items where the right questions are not asked. Instead of parties how about equipment that works and raises truly based on performance not the amount of money available or just be honest that the money is not available.

Jan 15, 2014Director of Human Resources

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding your experience at Harrison College. We appreciate that you have taken the time to highlight positive aspects of your experience with the College as ... More

Short but Sweet

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Harrison College full-time

Pros

Harrison has a great mission and most of the people that I worked with were very committed to it. Everything revolved around how to best serve the students and around changing people's lives. This attitude of service extended beyond the job and into company sponsored service projects. If you want to feel like you are making a difference in the world, this is a great place to be.

Cons

At the time I worked there, the organization was going through tremendous change and I don't think they really had a clear vision of what kind of changes were going to produce the results they wanted. They hired a lot of people and laid off a lot of people within the time I worked there.

There wasn't good communication between different areas of the organization. With all the changes going on, often the left hand didn't know what the right was doing. There was desperate need for a better coordination of work between different functional areas.

More communication, but not in the form of email. Meet with people face-to-face and ensure that different groups are working together toward common goals. Communication and alignment need to be improved.

Jan 15, 2014Director of Human Resources

Constant lay-offs and the campus President was a perv

Former Employee - Admissions Representative  in  Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Evansville, IN

I worked at Harrison College full-time for more than a year

Pros

working closely with the students

Cons

Micro managing and intense sales goals. Working long hours with no over-time.

Make sure you really know what's going on at your campuses.

Dec 27, 2013Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience working for Harrison College. Harrison College is committed to providing meaningful employment that is committed to allowing employees to ... More

If you are a female with a strong work ethic, keep looking...

I worked at Harrison College

Pros

Hard working staff and instructors on Lafayette Campus.

Cons

Poor support from management and HR Department.

Remove the problem that has ruined so many at the Lafayette Campus...the Campus President. Start listening to your employees who have and are devoting everything they have for you! The students have filed complaints, the staff have filed complaints and no one is listening!!!!

Dec 27, 2013Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience working for Harrison College. Harrison College is committed to providing a work environment that provides equal opportunities to all employees ... More

Worked for Harrison College? Contribute to the Community!