Harrods Reviews

Updated July 31, 2014

3.9

Harrods Managing Director Michael Ward
Michael Ward

Pros
  • Staff discount is amazing, they really do take care of their staff (in 9 reviews)

• Friendly staff, Good looking women and good pay (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes it gets a bit quite on the shop floor (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent

I have been working at Harrods full-time

Pros

Personal growth, discount, meeting new people

Cons

late shifts, management skills, training

training

Harrods is a great place to work, its professional and has great benefits.

Current Employee - Luxury Sales Associate  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Luxury Sales Associate in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Harrods full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great employee discount and offers.
    The best luxury good
    Great salary plus uncapped commission
    Great Training opportunities
    Able to move between different departments

Cons

Sometimes very strict, especially about shop floor staff.
    Badly designed staff canteen.
    Different Harrods managers can sometimes put try to manage you when its not their responsibility too.

Think before speaking sometimes, concentrate on your own areas rather then getting involved in others.

Good pay, great for learning, HORRIFIC culture.

Former Employee - Furniture Sales Associate  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Furniture Sales Associate in London, England (UK)

I worked at Harrods full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Learn what top-notch customer service looks like.
    Very good pay and great benefits for a retail job.
    33% discount on most purchases.
    Deep learning about a successful luxury business.
    You will leave prepared to face any hardship.

Cons

The culture is medieval, like a ruthless kingdom.
    Harrods prides itself in delivering heaven to its customers and HELL to its staff. It's like the whole company is a bully.
    The balance between rewards and punishments is hugely skewed towards the latter.
    The company says it wants to foster a culture of openness, creativity and "being yourself", but mistakes a punished severely - if you are not in the goods books, in which case you can get away with anything.
    Flagrant abuses of power and position, and HR is powerless.
    Newbies are overworked and disrespected.
    A culture of fear and backstabbing competition is encouraged and fostered.
    Unprepared managers who play politics are rewarded and promoted; good managers who play common sense and modern management skills are ostracised and pushed to leave.

Creativity and innovation comes from learning from mistakes. Your corporate culture needs urgent change. Harrods has everything to be an amazing company, but the unhappiness of your employees is evident to your customers.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A bit like school

Former Employee - Café Assistant/Waiter  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Café Assistant/Waiter in London, England (UK)

I worked at Harrods full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very well paid, decent hours, brilliant training wearing a suit, extremely formal and well managed business. Good discount once you've been there long enough to earn it.

Cons

Have to arrive very early, be extremely well presented at all times, know at the very least your floor like the back of your hand. Managers above can give remedial tasks as something to do. Cafeteria vibe/secuity/rules reminded me a lot of school years, with managers your teachers. Not so fun. I was told I had to leave essentially because other member(s) of staff didn't care for me that much.

Not for the faint of heart...

Former Employee - Recruitment  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruitment in London, England (UK)

I worked at Harrods full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This place will break you down and then build you back up into a well oiled retailing machine. The first 6 months will be the hardest, but if you survive, all the riches of a world renowned brand with multi-billionaire owners can be yours. As well as gaining a huge amount of experience and training, you will also benefit from a company that is trying to move forward with the times. Whether it is advanced commission schemes or flexible working, Harrods is certainly aiming to be an employer of choice.

Cons

If you want to be a part of the roller coaster ride that is the Harrods experience, you will have to accept that there will be a period that you will not fit in. 6 months is usually the incubation period needed to really gain this acceptance, whilst purchasing a new wardrobe or dying your hair will usually be an essential part of that process.
    There has also been a long standing issue with some of the senior management. Harrods lives in a little world of its own. Unfortunately the inhabitants have evolved much like that of animals in the wild. Some of the directors/heads of actually believe that, as they are in a position of power, that they are at the 'top of food chain' acting and treating people as if they were pieces of meat. This is something that is trying to be changed, but it is so engrained in the company, it will be a long hard battle to overcome.

Keep the tough Harrods working style, it really helps people develop into strong and empowered workers. Keep delayering the organisational structure and promote people that know that leadership isn't the same as tyranny.

Exciting, tiring

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, England (UK)

I worked at Harrods as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

It is exciting and fun

Cons

On your feet all day, rude customers

i fink one of the best companys iv worked for

Current Employee - Concierge  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Concierge in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Harrods full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

its number one the name what we do all the staff no one can in any store world wide

Cons

we have to be the best at all times what other we are going throw in are person lives

Quite Good

Former Employee - Waiter  in  South Kensington, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Waiter in South Kensington, England (UK)

I worked at Harrods part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company. Relatively well organised shifts

Cons

There was not much communication or cohesion between employees in the various sectors e.g. retail, hopsitality

More areas for those in hospitality to break within their restaurant area.

High class low fairness

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Knightsbridge, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Knightsbridge, England (UK)

I have been working at Harrods part-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits and discounts, status, experiences and stories to tell friends and family. Nice and open canteen and many chances to meet new coworkers all over the store plus chances of networking with clients.

Cons

Bad management, and the company is not acting like an English company anymore - completely Middle Eastern instead. A lot of unfair treatment, your coworker might get a lot more benefits from the management then you will. No room for improving or growing within your role. No career opportunities.

Better time-off policies, more chances for improving or growing within the employees role. No career opportunities.

Challenging but fun!

Former Employee - Temporary Sales Associate  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Temporary Sales Associate in London, England (UK)

I worked at Harrods as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Working for a high end company that is the top of retail is enjoyable as you are able to meet many people from around the world. Staff discount is amazing, they really do take care of their staff. Free lunches during the sale period, exclusive offers for staff. I worked there as a summer and christmas temp for 3 years and saw many improvements. For example, they FINALLY allowed women to wear flats with a structured heel, so your feet wouldn't hurt all day!

Cons

I feel that staff such as sales associates like me, were made to be quite scared of higher management, which is never a nice thing to experience. Also, they aren't very flexible with rotas unfortunately which can be a pain!

I had a variety of managers, however, apart from one, all were lovely and kind. Guide you in the correct way, yet still challenge you. However, this was my personal experience. I saw them being horrible to permanent staff members who have given so much to the company! They're definitely nicer to temporary staff!!!

Worked for Harrods? Contribute to the Community!