Harrods

Harrods Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Harrods Managing Director Michael Ward

Michael Ward

Harrods is a great place to work, its professional and has great benefits.

Luxury Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsGreat employee discount and offers.
    The best luxury good
    Great salary plus uncapped commission
    Great Training opportunities
    Able to move between different departments

ConsSometimes very strict, especially about shop floor staff.
    Badly designed staff canteen.
    Different Harrods managers can sometimes put try to manage you when its not their responsibility too.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink before speaking sometimes, concentrate on your own areas rather then getting involved in others.

A bit like school

Café Assistant/Waiter (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsVery well paid, decent hours, brilliant training wearing a suit, extremely formal and well managed business. Good discount once you've been there long enough to earn it.

ConsHave to arrive very early, be extremely well presented at all times, know at the very least your floor like the back of your hand. Managers above can give remedial tasks as something to do. Cafeteria vibe/secuity/rules reminded me a lot of school years, with managers your teachers. Not so fun. I was told I had to leave essentially because other member(s) of staff didn't care for me that much.

Not for the faint of heart...

Recruitment (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsThis place will break you down and then build you back up into a well oiled retailing machine. The first 6 months will be the hardest, but if you survive, all the riches of a world renowned brand with multi-billionaire owners can be yours. As well as gaining a huge amount of experience and training, you will also benefit from a company that is trying to move forward with the times. Whether it is advanced commission schemes or flexible working, Harrods is certainly aiming to be an employer of choice.

ConsIf you want to be a part of the roller coaster ride that is the Harrods experience, you will have to accept that there will be a period that you will not fit in. 6 months is usually the incubation period needed to really gain this acceptance, whilst purchasing a new wardrobe or dying your hair will usually be an essential part of that process.
    There has also been a long standing issue with some of the senior management. Harrods lives in a little world of its own. Unfortunately the inhabitants have evolved much like that of animals in the wild. Some of the directors/heads of actually believe that, as they are in a position of power, that they are at the 'top of food chain' acting and treating people as if they were pieces of meat. This is something that is trying to be changed, but it is so engrained in the company, it will be a long hard battle to overcome.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the tough Harrods working style, it really helps people develop into strong and empowered workers. Keep delayering the organisational structure and promote people that know that leadership isn't the same as tyranny.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Exciting, tiring

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsIt is exciting and fun

ConsOn your feet all day, rude customers

i fink one of the best companys iv worked for

Concierge (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

Prosits number one the name what we do all the staff no one can in any store world wide

Conswe have to be the best at all times what other we are going throw in are person lives

Quite Good

Waiter (Former Employee)
    South Kensington, England (UK)

ProsGreat company. Relatively well organised shifts

ConsThere was not much communication or cohesion between employees in the various sectors e.g. retail, hopsitality

Advice to Senior ManagementMore areas for those in hospitality to break within their restaurant area.

Challenging but fun!

Temporary Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsWorking for a high end company that is the top of retail is enjoyable as you are able to meet many people from around the world. Staff discount is amazing, they really do take care of their staff. Free lunches during the sale period, exclusive offers for staff. I worked there as a summer and christmas temp for 3 years and saw many improvements. For example, they FINALLY allowed women to wear flats with a structured heel, so your feet wouldn't hurt all day!

ConsI feel that staff such as sales associates like me, were made to be quite scared of higher management, which is never a nice thing to experience. Also, they aren't very flexible with rotas unfortunately which can be a pain!

Advice to Senior ManagementI had a variety of managers, however, apart from one, all were lovely and kind. Guide you in the correct way, yet still challenge you. However, this was my personal experience. I saw them being horrible to permanent staff members who have given so much to the company! They're definitely nicer to temporary staff!!!

High class low fairness

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Knightsbridge, England (UK)

ProsBenefits and discounts, status, experiences and stories to tell friends and family. Nice and open canteen and many chances to meet new coworkers all over the store plus chances of networking with clients.

ConsBad management, and the company is not acting like an English company anymore - completely Middle Eastern instead. A lot of unfair treatment, your coworker might get a lot more benefits from the management then you will. No room for improving or growing within your role. No career opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter time-off policies, more chances for improving or growing within the employees role. No career opportunities.

Interesting and valuable experience in a fast paced retail environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-They treat you well
    -Great benefits (33%s staff discount)
    -The pay is very generous
    -Exposure to many different cultures in a London commercial hub

Cons-Very busy during sale periods
    -Dress code is very strict and managers will enforce this at all times

Advice to Senior Management-A more lenient dress code

Great Experience

Warehouse Operative (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsLearning the process of a top leading luxury department store, provides great learning opportunities and very good teams and people.

Consholidays are poor as you have to work for a long number of years before you are given max holiday allowances

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to what staff want more instead of what you want for the company as the staff do make the company run

Worked for Harrods? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Harrods reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Harrods CEO Michael Ward. All 55 reviews posted anonymously by Harrods employees.