Harry & David Holdings

Be The First To
Add Photos

Steven J. (Steve) Heyer

12 years a (wage) slave

Sales and Service Team Leader (Former Employee)

ProsIt's not rocket science. Even as lower management, it's not a total no-brainer, but it is also not terribly mind-challenging, either. The environment during the busy holiday season is hectic, but busy enough that it flies by and there is plenty of opportunity for overtime. Employee discount at the store is a huge perk.

ConsWhere do I begin? After 12 holiday seasons with the company, (over 10 years as full-time, year-round,) I barely made more than newly-hired seasonal (temporary) employees, despite my seniority and being 3-4 positions higher as a member of the leadership staff. And, with bonuses, (both cash and prizes like game consoles, big screen TVs, vacation packages,) available primarily to the seasonal staff, many were able to out-earn their bosses. (TWO miniscule wage increases in seven years, and the second only because I decided to move into lower management.)
    Next, the micromanagement. You know those TPS reports from "Office Space"? Well, that is no exaggeration. I would hear the same instruction from 7 people, my superiors and their superiors and my equals, throughout the course of an 8-10-hour shift. The reason? Complete and utter breakdown in communications on almost every level company-wide.
    Downsizing: Harry & David is notorious for the typical poor judgment downsizing. They eliminate a person's (integral) position, realize shortly thereafter how important a cog in the machinery that individual was, then hire 2-5 less-skilled people to replace them, at, (of course,) 5 times the cost to the company. OR... They eliminate people, then overburden the remaining staff with the former employee's responsibilities, thereby making a more stressful situation for everyone involved, short-sticking the quality of ALL work, and, eventually, leading to employee burnout. (This is NOT "streamlining"; this is lining investors' pockets at the expense. I personally saw my workload increase at least fivefold in my final 2-3 years, with no additional compensation.)
    Clique-ish promotional practices: No matter who was most qualified for a position available within the company, the person who was closest friends with the supervisor of that position would get the position. Side note: Although against "official" company practice, if a person is determined integral to their current position, they, (strangely enough,) would fail to get hired for any other position they applied for. Imagine that...
    Finally, dishonesty. The current management at H&D will smile in your face and hug you while sticking a knife in your back. When I started there, management was straightforward, whether the news was good or bad. Beginning with the purchase by Wasserstein, and the influx of management from outside the company, that changed 100%. I have never in my life dealt with more two-faced, phony individuals as the management there. On multiple occasions, I had both immediate management, and those of higher echelons, (VPs,) attempt to throw me under the wheels for their mistakes, a couple of which cost the company thousands of dollars. (I say "attempt" because, unfortunately, at H&D, the CYA rule MUST be adhered to for survival.) In addition, whereas we had always been fairly honest with our customers, I began to notice a trend in stretching the truth, or outright lying, to them in my last couple years.
    I could go on and on about the little things, (freezing of pensions, cessation of 401k contributions, how they recently took away employee discounts for retirees who'd been with the company for less than 20 years, etc., etc., but I think I've said enough to make my point.)

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back from once you came. Hire from WITHIN the company/community; people that actually CARE about the local community and economy and are not just in the constant corporate rotation from one company to another.

No growth /no change

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Medford, OR

ProsIn business since 1934, strong customer base, but old and dying

ConsWent through six reduction and forces and a reorg chapter 11

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be Flexible and nimble

Harry & David Stores

Store Manager (Former Employee) Edison, NJ

ProsGood product. Excellent paid time off. Company very generous with paid time off packet. Only really busy 6 weks out of the year. Work load for managers is not as heavy as with other retail companies.

Consmedical was recently changed not a good packet at all. Company is going through a lot of financial issues right now. Laid off managers only to then go and create a new CFO position. Company at this point not stable.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest and up front with your employees. We know more than what you think we do.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Still bitter, even after leaving and finding a great job

Not A Vice President (Former Employee) Medford, OR

ProsIf you love the community. The Rogue Valley is stunning: beautiful river, great mountains, and Ashland offers some dining and culture. And maybe you're tired of the rat race, maybe you can buy twice as big of a house in Medford. You don't really care about exceeding your workplace, really know what's going on. Love watercooler chats about how the company is screwing you. And most importantly really really like meetings.

ConsWeight gain from eating all of the samples that linger around the building. Alcoholism from drinking heavily to cope with the feeling that management makes you feel like you are incapable of doing anything right. Therapy charges from the way 100 vice presidents make you feel like everything you ever knew might not be true anymore. And a divorce lawyer because your spouse has become annoyed that you don't show up for dinner anymore and you keep throwing around the idea of starting your own business because there is so much opportunity in this new town you've moved to (although no one has any money).

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourselves. You are way too top-heavy. You don't relate or listen to your workers. You make people feel inadequate, instead of capable of growth. You encourage middle management to be relentless and torturous, without training anyone actually how to manage people effectively. The fact you have a rather busy company psychologist on staff for senior management might be a clue that there are bigger issues than whether or not should meet for four hours about where to find costumes of fruit for the next management update meeting.

Life is too short for this kind of business experience.

Developer (Former Employee) Medford, OR

ProsThere are very few places to work in the valley so many people take jobs here and quickly find out what a terrible place it is... don't do what we did, pick up your family and move to Medford. Life's too short.

ConsFear-based management from the top down. Very paranoid business culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll the good people have left - what does that tell you?

retire at Harry and David: do little to no work & get paid

Graphic Designer (Former Employee) Medford, OR

ProsGreat place to retire. Not a very high stress place to work. The area is great and home prices are still pretty good, better than California. Ashland is a great town with great food and great theater. Not very stressful and easy work hours 9-5. Can work on freelance and other projects too during the day.

ConsWay too many VP's and not much management. Very TOP heavy company that loves to do the same old thing.... ugh. The departments are very fat as well. It is not the kind of company where you will be doing a ton of great work. In fact it was hard to find enough work to keep me busy enough. Small minded company that needs to rework old ideas!

Advice to Senior ManagementCUT THE FAT and roll up your sleeves and do some work. The meetings are endless in that place, cut the meetings out and get to work!! Figure out how to get rid of the people that never contribute.

Some good, some bad, depends on what's most important to you.

Manager (Current Employee) Medford, OR

ProsOne of the larger employers in Southern Oregon equates to more job options than other local employers. Holiday and vacation time more generous than most. Many examples of people who have started out in entry level jobs and risen through the ranks. Despite turbulent economy etc has been only minimal layoffs in the professional ranks through multiple ownership changes.

ConsConstant reaction mode vs strategic planning from upper management makes for wasted time and resources. Many employees (at all levels of the company) that have difficulty embracing technology and using it effectively.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay out of the minutiae and start letting the people that report to you make decisions and execute them. If you don't trust their judgment you have the wrong people in the jobs, address that.

Worked for Harry & David Holdings? Contribute to the Community!