Harry and David

www.harryanddavid.com

Harry and David Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Craig Johnson

Pros
  • The employee discount is generous(in 5 reviews)

• Great work environment, and great people to work for(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Filing bankruptcy has not hurt the upper management(in 6 reviews)

• Sadly, the call center in Hebron, OH is only a holiday job(in 4 reviews)

Awesome Job

Call Center Representative (Former Employee) Hebron, OH

ProsPay is great, prizes for getting upsales are awesome, fun environment

ConsSadly, the call center in Hebron, OH is only a holiday job.

A sea of phones

Order Entry Associate (Former Employee) Medford, OR

ProsThe training is excellent as is the associate support system. Most of the time you are able to help customers find and purchase what they need which is reasonably satisfying.

ConsProviding good customer service is difficult without comprehensive product knowledge. You are in a vast sea of phones and computers and aren't always in the same spot which creates a sense of not really belonging there.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more examples of the common products and baskets for the trainees to examine so they can better answer questions about the products offered. Pay more for highly successful associates.

fair

Order Entry (Current Employee) Medford, OR

ProsI was glad to have a job

ConsI didn't appreciate getting fired for no reason.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Seasonal Sales associate

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Saint Charles, IL

ProsGreat place to work over the holidays. Very friendly environment even when very busy. Plenty of things to do like offering samples to customers, stocking shelves, running the register, making gift baskets, etc. Customer service is a priority so there was never a lot of pressure to hurry and get things done. The Managers always wanted you to spend time with the customers. Great employee discount.

ConsHarry and David only paid min wage. Hours were always changing and it was only a seasonal position. CRAZY busy right before Christmas.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat management! Very friendly and very helpful.

Sales/Customer Service

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHelping people, and helping them feel special.

ConsBeing required to upsale and ask customers during the Holidays!!! for more money.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave better training

Enjoyable, good co-workers

Warehouse (Former Employee) Medford, OR

ProsLoved the store and the products, very generous 45% employee discount, great wine selection, clean and colorful store appearance, great community presence and involvement.

ConsIt was hard to get more hours during off season. Company keeps trying to sell the items that didn't 'catch on' much longer than economically feasible.

Frustrating Dead-End Job

Second Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe employee discount is generous.

ConsCapped employee hours in order to avoid providing benefits, poor communication, demanding employees take on additional responsibilities and tasks without increased compensation, patronizing leadership at the corporate level, no opportunities for advancement, poor planning, ridiculous amount of turnover in upper management

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide what type of company you want to be. You cannot expect stores to be able to live up to the "Happiness Delivered" motto, if you do not create a culture and policies that support that. Abruptly restructuring store leadership and planning to bridge the authority, responsibility, skill and knowledge gap with sales associates who each probably only work less than 12 hours a month, is planning to fail. Insisting on stores hiring a lot of people who can work few hours here and there does not allow for the type of team needed to run the type of business you have.

It is a great place to work for a short time, however, advancement within the company is limited.

ProsThe product is outstanding and the guarantee is the best. It is one of the largest employers in the community.

ConsManagement says they promote from within, however, very few are promoted. The majority of the positions are filled with people from the outside. Once in a position,there is little lateral movement into a different department. To move up in the company, most leave the company first and return later. Employee development is a low priority and management makes it a point to remind everyone they are lucky to have a job. Pay is not comparable although HR claims studies have been done and pay adjusted accordingly company wide. At one point the company took pride in treating employees well. That is no longer the case.

Advice to Senior ManagementUntil you know why a department works in a specific way, you don't know how to improve it. History continues to repeat itself with every new management team applying new ideas without finding out why something is done the way it is. The management teams continue to fail. How do you figure out how to make your ideas work as an extension of processes already in place? Figure that out and you might be a successful management team.

I have a great Team

ProsI have a great Team and a great boss; without my boss, I don't know if this would even be a decent job. Most of the people I work with are pretty decent and, at least in my group, the work-load hasn't been crazy.

ConsBad pay, bad Sr Management, no follow through on the 'soft' promises made when I came on board, misrepresentation of the oncall rotation, they don't pay for a phone, a computer or your internet YET they expect after hours support. The valley had the worst snow-storm in 40 years; our VP's primary concern? That no one leave early and that everyone be back at work the next business day (we were lucky it happened on Fri) or be required to take vacation hours. How's that for a boss?

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow through on your promises; you can get away with the "that's what you signed in your contract" for just so long before employees vote with their feet. If the company doesn't have money then provide flexible benefits; tech people really CAN work from home and that would offset a lot of financial dissatisfaction. Which brings us to; provide a computer, phone and internet for your employees to work from home. It doesn't cost THAT much and you remove a point of intense irritation.

Management isn't just about applying the 'letter of the law', its also learning how to work with people that you pretend to be an asset.

Great Place to work!

ProsCompensated for upsells and friendly management.

ConsCall center employees sit for long periods of time.

Worked for Harry and David? Contribute to the Community!