Harry and David

Updated January 20, 2015
Updated January 20, 2015
3.1

Craig Johnson

Pros
  • Great place to work if you enjoy the brand with the employee discount (in 7 reviews)

• A great company with a great product that sells itself (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Many ideas are killed because upper management "just doesn't like it" even if you back up ideas with sound analysis (in 7 reviews)

• Call center employees sit for long periods of time (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Best opportunity to gain experience in the Rogue Valley!

Current Employee - Analyst in Medford, OR
    Current Employee - Analyst in Medford, OR

I have been working at Harry and David full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I'm very thankful for Harry and David and the job it has provided! It has been a stretching learning opportunity and has given me excellent experience that will continue to propel me forward in my career. I started working here with minimal experience, yet my supervisors believed in my work ethic. Within seven months, I was promoted from an entry level position to a senior Analyst position. I continue to pursue other opportunities for growth and there is definitely potential for motivated employees who want to make a difference for the company. When it comes to benefits, many of the employees who have been here a long time complain that benefits aren't very good anymore. Apparently there used to be better benefit programs. However, as a newer employee, I find the benefits quite substantial and am very thankful for them. I would not complain at all. Harry and David is a solid company with years of expertise and resources, giving it huge potential in the industry. It is a fun place to work, with lots of variety if you get up and cross pollinate with other teams around the campus.

Cons

Personal growth is definitely desired, however, it's not always encouraged very well. Harry and David could improve upon the company values of Customer Focus, Respect, and Trust, especially since the lay-offs over the past few years following bankruptcy. There is a fair amount of suspicion and concern that "I" might be in the next round of lay-offs, creating a culture of mis-trust and apprehension. While compensation levels are somewhat determined by area cost of living, compensation is still on the low side of US averages for most positions. Except for a raise when promoted, I haven't received any increase in compensation since.

Harry and David would do well to breakdown the many barriers between departments and increase cross-functional, cross team, communication and collaboration. Collaboration is a company value, and while it is strong within teams, it is rather weak across business functions. Harry and David also needs to focus more on long term growth and profitability, rather than short term profits. Now that the company is past the bankruptcy phase, the focus needs to change for Harry and David to remain competitive. The company culture needs a makeover focused on innovation and progressive improvements, rather than maintaining the status quo and doing things because it's "the way we've always done it."

Very Low Pay

Former Employee - Team Lead in Hebron, OH
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Hebron, OH

I worked at Harry and David full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You are pretty much guaranteed a job if you apply for a seasonal position. They also allowed me to advance over the years.

Cons

Pay is very low compared to other warehouses. I was a team lead so I unloaded trucks, received merchandise into inventory, did paperwork, managed people, and trained people. I was also required to become certified on all forklift and pallet jack equipment. With all of those job duties they paid me less than a material handler would get at just about any other warehouse.

Seasonal Sales Associate

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Harry and David part-time (less than a year)

Pros

This is a very cool company to work for if you have prior retail experience. The atmosphere is fast-paced, the products are great, and the management has a lot of experience. I established a routine that works for me and the company.

Cons

The POS software is out-dated! Pay very close attention to details as management doesn't have time to fix mistakes.

Training for large business orders. (These clients are typically taken care of by management)

A Good Place to Work Hard and Make a Difference

Current Employee - Department Manager in Medford, OR
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Medford, OR

I have been working at Harry and David full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company has financial challenges due to emerging from bankruptcy a few years ago and personnel challenges due to the nature of the business--heavy seasonal hiring. Leadership team has had to make difficult choices and some employees have not been able to accept or adapt. I understood these things when I accepted a position as a department manager and have seen steady progress during the past two years. Company has great products, a loyal customer base and a long and respected history. I feel that I make a positive contribution every day--very rewarding.

Cons

Financial challenges have resulted in some needs not being met--merit pay increases and infrastructure upgrades, for example..

Stay the course.

Harry and David -Creativity, Collaboration, ...and Chocolates!

Current Employee - Design and Development in Medford, OR
    Current Employee - Design and Development in Medford, OR

I have been working at Harry and David

Pros

For me, the very best thing about Harry and David is the "family feel" and collaborative environment. Although it is a traditional company with 80 years of history, the culture is one that welcomes new ideas and supports creativity. Cross functional teams are incredibly warm, close knit, and a group of people who sincerely love their jobs as well as working together.

Cons

Probably the most challenging aspect of working at Harry and David would be the seasonal nature of the business and the heightened urgency that can bring. Longer hours may be required during the holidays, but that doesn't mean there is any shortage of holiday cheer on the campus. From company carolers to participating in numerous holiday charities, the seasonal culture and schedule is demanding, but also incredibly rewarding.

Management has made great strides in developing and retaining talented people through competitive compensation and enhanced training and development plans. They should continue to invest in the people who make Harry and David so successful.

Exceeded Expectations

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, OR

I have been working at Harry and David full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I joined the Harry and David team hoping to experience a culture committed to excellence, professionalism, and continuous desire to improve. I was not disappointed. My experience has exceeded my expectations and I'm not only thankful, but proud to be part of this organization.

Cons

The seasonal component of this business creates challenges in recruiting and training a temporary workforce for many positions that require a high skill set.

As new talent joins the organization, I think it's important to take into consideration, and when appropriate implement, the new and innovative ideas that are brought to the table.

The people are great! Rewarding working environment!

I have been working at Harry and David full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked with the company for 4 years and have been presented with so many opportunities. The company has experienced some setbacks through the years but they are making leaps and bounds toward a better future for the company and employees. It is rewarding to be a part of the change and see how they have been able to overcome what was. This company cares about their employees and it is comforting knowing that they value their employees. I have never worked with a better group of people that listen and support each other. The people are what make the job worth while. It is a very friendly environment.

Cons

It can be a challenge to try to move forward with employees that do not want to share their knowledge. There are some employees that have been here for many years and they are retaining information that could benefit the organization as a whole.

Continue to strive to develop you people. The people are the future of your company; without them and their ideas a future will not be possible.

Great Experience

I have been working at Harry and David full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working at Harry & David provides great experience in eCommerce and working with well-known brands. It's provides a challenging, and equally rewarding work environment. Harry & David encompasses teams of hard-working, friendly and encouraging people. It's a large company, with a small-company feel and exceptional benefits.

Cons

Long work hours during peak holiday season; however, that is the nature of the business.

Opportunities for career growth in ideal location

I have been working at Harry and David

Pros

I've worked in the marketing department for 2 years. It feels like a start up where ideas are welcome and the environment is collaborative. Leadership is approachable and there is a high degree of professionalism mixed with a casual and friendly west coast attitude. I've had two different jobs with a recent promotion and have found Harry & David to have plenty of opportunity for hard working self-starters.

Cons

Expect long days leading up to, and during holiday season. I hire extra help in my personal life (a housekeeper and massage therapist) and eat out at restaurants more to simplify responsibilities and make it as pleasant as possible. Free time is very limited and it's best to take good care of yourself. Harry & David will need you on the ball every day, for some, weekends included.

Excellent products, Good place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, OR

I have been working at Harry and David full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Harry and David, like all other companies has some challenges, but these negative reviews are inaccurate. Yes, the company had some difficulty when the economy slowed, and yes, there were some years with no increases. Does this make it a terrible place to work? No. Look at how many other companies did not survive - Harry and David did. Not only did it survive, but it did so while minimizing negative impact to the employees. Sure, I wish I received more increases over the past few years, but I'm thankful to have a good job with competitive benefits. Regarding all the "broken promises" and "golf" comments: These employees KNOW that the company is seasonal, and they hire thousands of seasonal employees. They do not promise year round work, and seasonal employees know the job is only seasonal. Unfortunately, they cannot afford to pay for benefits for all seasonal workers, but they do try to make it a fun place to work while providing thousands of local jobs for people struggling to find work. What's wrong with that? Lastly, nothing like making a "golf" comment about the CEO - how original! The effort of current leadership in making the company successful and brining it back to a growth stage is clear. Many hours are devoted to the companies success, and they are NOT on a golf course.

Cons

The acquisition by 1-800 Flowers creates some uncertainties, but should help position Harry and David for future growth and possible counter seasonal business.

Continue the effort to build the business and to work with 1-800 Flowers leadership to identify local opportunities.