Harsco

Great job till merger

Sales (Former Employee)
Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Harsco full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat employees, fast paced environment made the day go fast, good pay.

ConsMerger of Metals and Minerals caused many good people to be let go. Management, including the President are rather clueless and not realistic to sales quotas, heavy turnover rate, not enough team building and a lot of finger pointing.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the money makers and hard workers and fire the ones dragging a good company down. You lost a a lot of good people in the last 4 months and even your President has resigned. Shameful.

NOT fit for a Licensed Engineer. OK for drafters

Engineer III (Current Employee)
San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Harsco full-time for less than a year

ProsNone for professional, licensed engineers

Cons1. Inter-office romances, favoritism
2. Medieval land-owner attitudes displayed by Office Mangers
3. Professionals behaving as if the world is going to end tomorrow trying to meet artificial deadline

Advice to Senior Management1. Don't hire an engineer to do a drafter's job.
2. Straighten your hiring practices

Turbulence, bullying management, mismanagement

Columbia, SC

I have been working at Harsco full-time

ProsGreat industry wonderful longtime workforce

ConsVery bad, immature management. They are allowing any sort of management behavior in order to get stock price up. The result is bullying, veiled threats, dishonesty. May very good knowledgable people gone now either because of frustration on unreasonal behavior by the company. New ideas not properly vetted before implementation so errors have been made that destroyed segments of business and will take years to recover from.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a lack of intellectual curiosity. Senior management knows very little about what company does. Learn, listen, understand, act.

You will regret it...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Paramus, NJ

I worked at Harsco

ProsHarsco has a fast paced environment and the days go by quickly. I was never bored during all the time I worked there.

ConsManagers are bullies and monsters. Leadership is nothing short of incompetent and it is truly amazing that the company has any profit at all. During all the years I worked there, I never once received a review. Harsco has no concept of 'balance' between work and home. They take and take and in the end will take everything you have and kick you to the curb. The senior managers make political moves with their own best interest at heart, ignoring what is best for the company, and forget about ethics or fairness. The previous review describing affairs as being rampant is accurate. My own supervisor routinely engaged the services of 'escorts' when traveling and bragged about it to direct reports. I am ashamed to have worked with/for such reprehensible people. I would recommend staying away from this company, however if you decide to work for them, get *anything* involving money in writing, as the company is pathologically cheap and delights in cheating people out of compensation that has been fairly earned.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff your departments adequately. Get rid of bullies. Understand that it is actually possible to have an efficient and effective organization while treating people decently. Learn that people are not disposable.

HARSCO is a good place to work if you only want a place to go to work every day.

Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Harsco

ProsJob security - Not too many layoffs. If you like coming to work and doing mindless tasks, do not like to voice your opinion and keep your mouth shut, then HARSCO is the place for you. If you like to contribute to the success of an organization, have your ideas heard and implemented, you are at the wrong company.

ConsSalaries are too low for the work they expect you to do every day. Benefits are not comparable to the competition. Management has no clue of how the business is run. They expect more than you can give to them, and always expect more.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to those you manage - they might teach you something.

I wasn't happy and there were lots of problems but the Company still has potential.

Manager (Former Employee)
Camp Hill, PA

I worked at Harsco

ProsIt's a large, international, successful, diverse and fairly stable company.

ConsOverall, much of the management does not respect the employees. There are a lot of complacement, long-term and insecure managers who stand in the way of advancement for individuals and the Company as a whole.

Advice to Senior ManagementCarefully examine the people that you have in the lead positions in many areas, don't just say you're doing it. ASK FOR ANONYMOUS FEEDBACK FROM EMPLOYEES WHO WORK FOR THE MANAGERS. Management should be forced to take sensitivity training in order to deal with their employees more respectfully. Very carefully examine people and management who have been in their jobs for a long time in order to avoid complacency and to encourage change.

Failures of Leadership leading to loss of Talent

Manager (Current Employee)
Leatherhead, England (UK)

I have been working at Harsco full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGlobal firm with many interesting business challenges. Good industry safety record. Some very profitable business streams.

ConsFailure to provide direction under new CEO. Launch of "Simplification" project has led to assumption that this means downsizing and redundancies due to failure to provide meaningful and timely project updates.
Sale of one division means likely downsizing of centrally funded functions but again the failure to provide timely and clear communication is leading at present to a "brain drain" as valued employees vote with their feet.
There seems to be a glass ceiling for women and for those outside of the USA. Too many decisions are decided in north America and implemented elsewhere in the world with little consideration or regard for culture or local business practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees by trusting them with better and more regular communication rather than adopting "ivory tower" leadership style from the US corporate headquarters.

2 years in this Company

I have been working at Harsco

Prosbig flexiability, no pocedure, no process

Constoo much flexiablility, nothing consistency

Harsco India Services Pvt Ltd

Support Staff (Current Employee)
Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at Harsco full-time for more than a year

ProsHarsco India Services Pvt Ltd has started around Oct 2009. It has 260+ staff lead by director. Among 260+ staff that spread across Metals & Minerals, Infrastructure & Rail. More than 50% workforce has Oracle support who does Oracle Support, application development and maintenance. This workforce cater to the worldwide IT needs of Metals and Infrastructure. I heard Infrastructure business unit is sold to some investing firm in US. Internet blogs shows Infrastructure business unit is continuously making losses and hence management decided to sell this off. Oracle IT group lead by director.

Around 30% workforce is Accounts Payable staff which does offshore verification of accounts for all the business units of Harsco. This is lead by director.

Around 10% staff belongs IT support which does the support for desktop and servers worldwide and this lead by a Manager

Around 4% staff belongs to Mechanical engineering group which does the design and support for Rail and Industrial business units and this lead by a Manager

Around 4% staff belongs Baan, which takes care of Baan needs which is lead by a Manager.
Around 1% staff belongs to finance which works for local finance needs lead by a Manager
Around 2% staff belongs to HR which works for administrative harsco global administrative work. This is lead by a Manager. This facility has also 1 HR manager which works for local HR needs.

ConsIt is reported that there has been 3 or 5 termination in IT and accounts department so far at Hyderabad facility.

For fresher's and staff with 2 or 3 years experience candidates, it is good company as they can learn from the work that is done here. As all the leadership posts are filled, there will be neck to neck competition to grow vertically for 5 + year experience staff as it all depends on opportunities' that will be created within the facility. There are little chances of absorbing staff into Mainstream global Harsco staff as staff has to compete with
global staff.

It is been reported Annually there has been average 7 to 10% hike for the staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo Growth

bullying and intimidation

Plant Operator (Current Employee)
Port Talbot, Wales (UK)

I have been working at Harsco full-time for more than 5 years

Prosthere are no pros working for this company

Consmanagement are employing friends/ex work colleagues to senior positions who have no idea how the steel industry works, a senior reprisentitive outside of Port Talbot needs to speak with the workforce and only then will they get to see how intimidating the management are, also the union are in the company's back pocket so there is no help there either, there is not a day goes by when i fear for my safety at Port Talbot steelworks

Advice to Senior Managementstop employing friends/ex work colleagues to senior positions and then maybe the safety of employees will improve

Worked for Harsco? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Harsco reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Harsco CEO Patrick Decker. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Harsco employees.