Hart InterCivic Reviews

Updated July 22, 2014
Updated July 22, 2014

3.4

Phillip Braithwaite

Great Opportunity for contract work during elections!

Former Employee - Trainer  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Trainer in Austin, TX

I worked at Hart InterCivic as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I really enjoyed my time at Hart. The voting machines & software are great products. I also loved the friendly atmosphere and the "Hart-Rock Cafe" on Fridays.

Cons

It was only a contract job so there was no room for advancement, but it was a great place to do contract training.

Great people, fantastic culture, nice perks, but don't expect to see your family much

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Hart InterCivic full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good hardware, latest development tools, fantastic culture, including Friday afternoon Hart-Rock Cafe sessions where you can unwind with a cold one and get caught up on the latest company news. Casual attire. Decent benefits. Company will occasionally do fun events like having a food truck in, or a theme week. Free beverages and snacks.

Cons

The biggest drawback to working at Hart, especially if you are in Engineering, is that the work/life balance is, quite frankly, awful. Expect to work many weekends, as the company has a habit of overselling its products. Don't get me wrong, the current generation product is an excellent one, but it is very ambitious. And due to certification dates, the deadlines can NOT be moved. They pay very well, but when you're working 60 hours a week, you're working for pretty cheap.
    Also, working from home, while possible due to the hardware you have to work with, is generally frowned upon, unless absolutely necessary (like: ice storm in what little winter we get here in Texas). In this day and age, telecommuting a couple of days a week should be acceptable.

If anything, your sales department is a little TOO good. :-)

Good management who value employees

I worked at Hart InterCivic

Pros

True team, can-do attitude
    Friendly staff

Cons

Mostly contract work (60-80%)
    No true use of any SDLC in software

Create more permanent opportunities to leverage knowledge retention
    Implement an SDLC

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you don't mind only knowing what's going on in your cube, Hart InterCivic might just be for you.

Former Employee - Technical Writer  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Austin, TX

I worked at Hart InterCivic

Pros

During the time I worked at Hart InterCivic, there were very good opportunities for contract employees to be hired on as permanent staff.

Cons

I worked as a Technical Writer, and was told from Day One that I would never, ever, ever, ever have access to the developer. There was one senior developer who I prayed every day would not be hit by a bus or become a victim of some other accident--if he went down the whole company was going to go down.

I had to write documentation for software based on software alone...I was fortunate enough to have access to QA when I had questions.

The UI had typographical errors in it that were "not important" enough to fix. Sorry folks, your UI is your window to the world. Making it perfect is critical.

I had no idea who worked on what, who all was in my department, or why we were doing most of what we were doing.

Read some books on team-building, then work some of the exercises with your employees. Especially when you have more than one major division in a company, it's so helpful for all your people to fully understand the entire scope of the company's work

Worked for Hart InterCivic? Contribute to the Community!