Harte Hanks Reviews

• Austin, TX Area

1. Sometimes you just have to pay the bills and build experience

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Harte Hanks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For Salaried Employees not at the top of the food chain:
    Flexible scheduling
    Fast upward movement
    Great benefits
    Laid back environment
    Even if some things aren't satisfactory, the company is moving in a better direction and they may care a little more about their salaried employees once they get it together in the future

Cons

For Salaried Employees not at the top of the food chain:
    Overworked
    Unfair Scheduling
    Empty Promises - Don't expect follow through on things you are promised
    Extremely low pay - Maybe the lowest paying in the area
    Minimal incentives or rewards
    Terrible support from management
    Far too many work-arounds, nothing works the way it should

Advice to Management

Take a good hard look at what you aren't giving your salaried employees. Agents often get paid a lot more with less responsibility and are given a lot of rewards and incentives. The only plus side to going salary is the title and length of experience, but it is near impossible to pay the bills and the stress of all of the work and problems really isn't worth it. Some of our families are suffering because of it. If I didn't need the length of experience, I wouldn't be here.

2. Just say no.

Former Employee - Fedex Techsupport in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Fedex Techsupport in Austin, TX

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a paycheck. If you're desperate like I was at the time then take it because it's money but if you're not hurting to pay the bills keep on looking.

Cons

Management was horrible. The "working conditions" were awful. Got kids and a family? They don't care, they will force you to work on holidays even though they claim that they aren't mandatory work days.

Advice to Management

Consider your employees for a change.

Disgusted with this business

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

mon-friday work week
    after training job is easy

Cons

certain manager has no real on the floor training
    to many special projects
    leads are overworked
    not being paid what your REALLY worth
    email program is constantly crashing (not OE)

Advice to Management

all management needs to go thru training on there campaign so they know what they are doing,
    leads need to be learning how to do management
    want to know why people are burnt out? Ask them but put it in a way that they are not fearful of loosing their job

5. Good place to learn

Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Harte Hanks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pretty good place to work with potential to move up. If you put the time in and network in the company then you can advance.

Cons

Pay is on the low side and there isn't much in the way of employee team building activities. Can be real cheap.

Get your feet wet here but don't dive into the deep end with this company.

Current Employee - Customer Support in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Austin, TX

I have been working at Harte Hanks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gave me a start in my field. Decent training and for those whom this is their first white-collar job, it is a harsh introduction into the "customer is always right" business model which no longer applies in an age of self-importance and entitled customers

Cons

The new CEO spearheaded a corporate rebranding (see the new logo...) which spent millions of dollars pointlessly, while my entire team and other teams in the company, on average, saw one of the weakest average raise percentages in history. The response from middle management; "Be glad you have a job". Because of cost of living increases and increases in insurance, I now make less than when I started 3 years ago.

Advice to Management

Just because your clients pay the bills, doesn't mean you have to be a lapdog to them.

7. Karoshi

Former Employee - Software Solutions Consultant Team Lead in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Solutions Consultant Team Lead in Austin, TX

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company is good if you're just starting out, and you're trying to get into the customer service business. Most of the employees (lower level employees - not management) are friendly and definitely have a family type feel.

Cons

The term karoshi means death by overwork. They will overwork you for little compensation. I left because I found a phone support position making more an hour than my manager. There's not a lot of room to advance. Favoritism and discrimination are prevalent in upper management. They come off as cold, and if you are ever called to their office, you quickly wonder how they got there by speaking to employees the way they do. Good management doesn't keep you in constant fear.

Advice to Management

Good management doesn't keep you in constant fear. Instead of holding contests and drawing where 1 person gets an iPad, or a $25 gift card, pay people the compensation they deserve and they'll stay long enough to help your attrition rate. Treat them like humans, and realize that they have families and lives, and that they're not just numbers on a spreadsheet.

Unethical, Pathetic

Former Employee - Fed Ex Trainer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Fed Ex Trainer in Austin, TX

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Easy to obtain Employment there
    - Trainers, (at least the one I had), actually have done & do the work they are training you for.

Cons

All information in this statement below pertain specifically to the Austin, Texas Wells Branch location.

- Company offered to bribe their employees $25 for each positive online review. Once those who did so tried to collect, they were told by management that, '...it was a contest and that they would be notified of who won.'

- Consistently tries to force Employees to work off the clock, either on lunch breaks or on payed breaks, or when arriving early without permission to clock in.

- Very high turnover.

- a Supervisor who will remain nameless was forced to resign due to numerous complaints for a lengthy period of time. When the company got extremely low in its workforce, it called this Supervisor up and literally begged them to return, albeit with a futile attempt at disguising their desperation with humor. This individual returned, the primary culprit in trying to force people to work off the clock, and an yelled at an employee on the floor for not responding to them despite the fact that this employee was on the phone. This employee responded that he was on the phone (Supervisors are not permitted to interrupt people when they are on the phone, particularly when it is not their supervisor), and this Supervisor, who was not HIS supervisor, continued to yell at the employee until the employee responded in kind. This employee had perfect attendance and was one of the highest volume producers. This employee had also filed complaints about this individual multiple occasions and yet this was not taken into consideration when he was fired the next day.

- The very high turnover leaves a consistently higher volume of work load to be done. This is, by default, delegated to the more reliable employees who are expected to do their original work, plus the work of their former co-workers in the same amount of time.

- Bathrooms are frequently locked for hours each day. Jokes were made in training about former employees relieving themselves in the hall. I didn't take it until face value until I saw how hard it often was to get access to the bathrooms. I was one of the few agents who had card key access to all bathrooms, so whenever I was fortunate enough to actually get a brake or lunch and observed employees trying to get into a locked bathroom I would give them access to the other bathrooms that were locked via my card.

- Supervisors (NOT the trainers) DO NOT HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WHATSOEVER DOING THE JOBS OF THE PEOPLE THAT THEY ARE SUPERVISING. When problems or questions arise, the employees are left to help each other out.

- The work floor's social environment is akin to that of being in High School. Being someone who is middle-aged, and always used to spending free time with folks older (and usually wiser) than myself, this for me was very difficult. However, if you are in college or fresh out of High School, you might love it. Sexual intercourse, Homosexuality, and other inappropriate work discussions are common and rarely addressed. If you mention your Faith, however, you stand an excellent chance of being reprimanded.

- The company from all appearances discriminates against Heterosexuals in favor of Homosexuals.

- Human Resources is next to impossible to reach, via phone, or via Email, and the Company won't give you time to see them while you're on site.

- They admit they don't have enough parking spaces for all the employees, so they kept promising a shuttle for folks. As I understand they eventually did provide one, but not until a good amount of employees received citations. Those who arrived for work extra early, such as I, didn't find any problems. However, they tell you in training that you can be at your desk while off the clock or on break, but you will be reprimanded for doing so.

- The employee that I personally know of who was terminated, mentioned above, through no fault of his own, stated to his supervisor, 'please, if you all might be firing me tomorrow, please just tell me and I'll resign now'. His supervisor promised him in front of everyone that that was unlikely, most certainly wouldn't occur the next day, and begged him to show up the next day. When he did so, after an hour, they fired him. Human Resources got the other offending supervisors story immediately, but never gave permission for that employee (or many if not all of us) his side of the story. That was the one time I'd seen Human Resources, when firing someone.

- Absolutely no opportunities for advancement at the ground level. They are candid about this though during the interview.

- The Compensation is the lowest (that I know of) for this type of work in the Greater Austin Texas Metropolitan area.

- Avoid this company at all costs unless desperate for a job. If you are a person of Faith, prepare for the strong possibility of being offended on a regular basis and/or being ostracized for your Faith.

Advice to Management

Being more careful to nurture the hardworking, reliable employees may seem more difficult and financially implausible in the short term, but it will pay off big time in the long run.

9. I love my job!

Current Employee - Tech Support Supervisor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Tech Support Supervisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Harte Hanks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Harte Hanks has not only provided many opportunities for growth on every level, but continues to grow with employees satisfaction as a priority. There is a positive environment everyday which makes one excited to come to work!

Cons

The only con was parking spaces. Harte Hanks has promoted carpooling with incentive which benefits employees as well as the environment.
    There have also been additional accommodations.

Advice to Management

Great Job! Keep moving forward!

10. Up in the air

Former Employee - Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work/life balance is tolerable most of the time and the time-off and vacation policies are fairly flexible as well. 401K and insurance are available.

Cons

Looming layoffs about twice per year. Perks, like gym membership and conferences, were more generous in the beginning, but have been greatly reduced. Everyone gets a spiffy title... but very little opportunity for actual advancement or training.

Advice to Management

Hire knowledgeable and experienced people instead of hiring and promoting people based solely on their ability to bandy about jargon and buzzwords.

Harte Hanks low paying telemarketing job. If you are a professional out side sales person stay away from this place

Former Employee - TELESALES Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - TELESALES Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are a telemarketing rep and this is your career Harte Hanks has multiple companies like Federal Express, NetApp, VMware that will allow you to get your foot in the door telemarketing for big name companies. If you can get on the VMware team at Harte Hanks you can if you excel move to a full time job with VMware... Several reps at Harte Hanks were able to move from HH to VMware.

Cons

Too many stupid rules, you cannot sit at your desk during lunch hour. Many of the managers are poor managers with little or no people skills. Very ;hight turn over rate.

Advice to Management

None