Harte Hanks

Updated February 7, 2015
2.9

Harte Hanks President and Chief Executive Officer Robert A. Philpott
Robert A. Philpott

Pros
  • Great hard-working people, my boss was awesome in terms of work-life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Great People to work with decent pay (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't really know what the different departments do (in 12 reviews)

• Senior management has created a (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

17 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

There are currently a lot of changes but hoping they are going to be good positive changes down the road

I have been working at Harte Hanks full-time

Pros

The company did need some changes, despite the way they have had to go about them, we hope they are going to be good changes in the future and make this a 5 star company to work at again

Cons

Management right now is doing everything they need to to make these changes which aren't all good.....

Get on with the changes already so that we can start implementing and working in the new culture to get this show on the road

Shrinkage

Current Employee - Database Marketing Analyst in Billerica, MA
    Current Employee - Database Marketing Analyst in Billerica, MA

I have been working at Harte Hanks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits , time off , work from home. immediate managers in tune and effective.

Cons

Lots of off-hour support, no product development, no software development, slow systems , old technology, HH didn't keep up. No raises. upper out of office managers and directors always focusing on negative, jumping in to waste time filling them in. Upper management decision is to outsource database marketing group, not great for clients, Client lose.

Just trying to hang on to the shrinking database business, maybe just sell it off.

Lots of exciting changes!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Billerica, MA

I have been working at Harte Hanks full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I joined Harte Hanks because of all the exciting changes within the organization. The company has been around for a very long time and last year they hired a new CEO who has completely changed the company for the better which I think has been very hard for people that have been with the Harte Hanks for a number of years dealing with changes and restructuring. The vision of the company has evolved but we are positioning ourselves to grow tremendously over the next few years and beyond.

I joined Harte Hanks coming from all start ups and I didn't think working for such a large company I would have the ability to make an impact and I've been pleasantly surprised that my input is valued. In addition I've had the chance to work on some really interesting projects.

Cons

I would say one of the biggest cons is if you can't deal with change this is not the right company for you.

The benefits and vacation policy are competitive with some really cool discounts on some of our top name clients.

Keep doing what you are doing!

Roller coaster ride but lots of possibilities

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Billerica, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Billerica, MA

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time

Pros

With a new CEO and mostly new senior management, Harte Hanks is transforming itself into a leaner more focused company. The process is painful for many long term employees but the end result will hopefully be something whoever is left will be proud of and that clients will want to do business with.

Cons

Anytime a company transforms itself, there are many reductions in force and reorganizations. If you don't have the stomach for this type of environment, might be best to wait until the metamorphosis is complete. If you can embrace change and the unknown, hop on board!

Don't forget to value some of your longer term employees. Many of them have the client relationships you may want to retain.

More work expected for less pay

Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Billerica, MA

I have been working at Harte Hanks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefit package, ability to work remotely

Cons

No career path, along with advantage of working from home comes the expectation of being available 24/7 even when on vacation. Lack of leadership

Promote and let go of the wrong people.

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Billerica, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Billerica, MA

I have been working at Harte Hanks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Laid back environment. Good people.

Cons

They promote these kids right out of college that have literally no clue what they are doing, some have some computer language skills and that's about it - they have no client facing or personable skills... The wrong people get a "pat on the back". They let go of really smart folks which was a huge loss to the company (probably to save a buck) and no one has filled their jobs which leaves other jobs that feeds off of that job a mess... They hire people that have no place or meaning with the company... Everything is done backwards here.

You should consider getting to know your people and what they do, rather than taking peoples (or the politics) words for it. You've lost a lot of great people due to your ignorance and will continue to lose more.

Not the best place to work

Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Billerica, MA

I have been working at Harte Hanks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Many of the people are very nice and willing to help. Depending upon your manager, you have the flexibility to work from home.

Cons

It's a sweat shop and very stressful. A lot of back-stabbing due to issues with meeting deadlines and accountability. Morale is very problematic. Lake of training sets employees up for failure or longer ramp up.

Take the time to listen to your employees, add appropriate staffing levels, and take the time to say thank you to those working very hard. - Change the working in silos mentality.

Harte-Hanks is a fast paced environment which is very client focused and staffed with terrific,dedicated employees.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Billerica, MA

I have been working at Harte Hanks full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've had opportunities to move around into different groups or job functions; they will do what they can to keep their best and brightest. The people are fantastic; alot of great friendships from working together over the years. New CEO will bring new energy and direction which is great for everyone. This company has weathered the terrible economy and stayed alive.

Cons

Sometimes, because of our size, decisions and approvals can take awhile. I don't believe Harte-Hanks is known for being the best paying company around but they try to take care of everyone. They are a bit too lean right now but staffing up.

Consider higher pay increases in certain positions with high turnover (if people are leaving due to higher offers); add more opportunities for helping valuable associates with their careers so they will stay here even longer;

Had to Leave

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Analyst in Billerica, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Analyst in Billerica, MA

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There were many people that I worked with that I would consider top tallent. Polite, hard working, intelegent and willing to learn people. Many of which were workers on the floor.

Cons

Poor upper management. There are managers that are stuck in their ways, even though they are being told to do a thinkg they would continue to do the things they wanted. Managers that knew what needed to be done were not allowed the athority to do what needed to be done by thoes above them. This would also keep the employees from being able to grow with the company in their careers. They are also not up to date on wages

When you tell your managers you are going to empower them. Do so, have trust in the managers you hired to fix the problems you see. Do not fire managers and replace them with people that have the same mindset as thoes you just let go because they were not a good fit.

Frustrating, so much potential but little strategy to execute

Former Employee - Vice President in Billerica, MA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Billerica, MA

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Company with huge potential, a wide variety of product choices in the direct marketing sector
    A lot of good people at the operational level
    Good environment to work in from some perspectives, colleagues generally helpful, friendly and with a drive to succeed

Cons

No corporate strategy, with a statement from some senior management that they didn't believe an overall corporate strategy was necessary.
    Very political internally, especially in the Trillium Software group.
    Makes it a very frustrating place to work as the company has such potential, but no real idea how to execute

Need a clear strategy for the long term business of the company