Harte Hanks

Harte Hanks Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014

Harte Hanks President and Chief Executive Officer Robert A. Philpott

Robert A. Philpott

Pros:
  • "Good work life balance and nice people"
    in 10 reviews
  • "The benefits are good and most of the employees are good to work with"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Employees at anything under the upper management level are treated like morlocks"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Pays below local going rate for inbound call center experience"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

What you put in, may not be what you get out...

Operations Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

ProsFriendly atmosphere where it's easy to grow. If you are good at what you do and make your presence known you are able to move up quickly. Helpful and happy supervisor and lead staff.

ConsInconsistency across accounts. Management structure is very dictatorship. Supervisors aren't always available to build relationships and motivate. They are busy at their desks creating coaching packages on the lowest scoring item for the previous week. Positive coaching is received as well but the positive negative positive approach isn't exactly motivation. Great performance or going over and above is not recognized as anything special. Just another requirement of your life at work.

Advice to Senior ManagementFree up some resources. More with less is great, so long as it's not too much more with way less

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Call Center Agent

Call Agent (Former Employee)
    Shawnee, KS

ProsThe training was the best part of the job.

ConsWork/life balance is not there...long hours and little pay

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more caring...have more development and coaching.

Call Center

ProsGenerous PTO allowance, excellent insurance offers. In some lines of business, chances to be of significant help to callers. Weekend & evening or early morning work can be convenient for people w/family responsibilities. The company does not miss paydays nor lose checks. Very tolerant of secondary wage earners. The new CEO may make very important changes for call centers, as he will for marketing services.

ConsManagerial disorganization, most employment is seasonal, training & selection usually underestimate skill requirements, close supervision & rigid scheduling for front-line agents. You are evaluated 3/4 on punctuality & 1/4 on quality. Quality is judged mostly by people w/no experience at your job. Workforce management clerks foul up schedules routinely & causes turnover. Retention of defective equipment & furniture. Management turnover is very high & most are hired off the street, overlooking personnel within.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy overall rating is not of the company -- its for the call center branch. Give up the matrix organization for call centers; they lay off workers not currently used, unlike the advertising parts of the company. Matrix organization disrupts chain of responsibility & command. Be brave enough to buck call center tradition: people most amenable to close supervision are not suited for managerial work. Either get professional-grade workforce management staff or let forepersons schedule the agents. Be aware of talent in call center & promote from within instead of hiring forepersons & leads off the street in most instances. Call centers are not factory assembly-line outfits.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Promote and let go of the wrong people.

Marketing Analyst (Current Employee)
    Billerica, MA

ProsLaid back environment. Good people.

ConsThey promote these kids right out of college that have literally no clue what they are doing, some have some computer language skills and that's about it - they have no client facing or personable skills... The wrong people get a "pat on the back". They let go of really smart folks which was a huge loss to the company (probably to save a buck) and no one has filled their jobs which leaves other jobs that feeds off of that job a mess... They hire people that have no place or meaning with the company... Everything is done backwards here.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should consider getting to know your people and what they do, rather than taking peoples (or the politics) words for it. You've lost a lot of great people due to your ignorance and will continue to lose more.

Great place to grow

Yardley, PA

ProsThe expectation is excellence, and when you achieve it with the great people around yhou here, the feeling is amazing.

ConsThe management team if the 2000s left the company pretty much gutted of senior management talent and under-invested in improving our capabilities. That is all changing now.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your mid-level people much, much more. You don't know how some of your work even gets done.

Not the best place to work

Account Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Billerica, MA

ProsMany of the people are very nice and willing to help. Depending upon your manager, you have the flexibility to work from home.

ConsIt's a sweat shop and very stressful. A lot of back-stabbing due to issues with meeting deadlines and accountability. Morale is very problematic. Lake of training sets employees up for failure or longer ramp up.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to listen to your employees, add appropriate staffing levels, and take the time to say thank you to those working very hard. - Change the working in silos mentality.

Marketing Intern

Marketing Intern (Former Employee)
    Yardley, PA

ProsWorked closely with my supervisor, who provided coaching and help whenever I needed it. Had the opportunity to work on different projects related to different industries and required a variety of skills. Was able to take on projects that were relevant to my interests. The position provided great exposure to the marketing industry.

ConsThere weren't many cons for me in my experience as an intern. One would be location, especially for younger people who want to be near a big city -- this was about an hour outside of Philadelphia.

Advice to Senior Management-

Horrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsExcellent Health Insurance. Compensation is decent enough while you look for another job.

ConsVery unprofessional, high school like working environment. Managers showing favoritism, fraternizing including dating direct reports and then retaliating against them when the relationship sours. HR couldn't care less.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to what managers are doing. You are losing good employees because of bad managers.

Waaay too corporate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Yardley, PA

ProsFace to face with clients and great co-workers.

ConsThe agency was ruined by the rest of the Hart Hanks business units. We were the most profitable part of the company, yet because the rest of the units were all floundering, we constantly had the threat of layoffs and downsizing. No raises, no bonuses, no nothing for years and years. Favoritism and politics ran rampant. You were not aloud to have an opinion that differed from corporate, no matter how smart and innovative you were. HH also had tons of B & C clients and almost no A clients. Reason? The corporate office was not smart enough to let the leaders of the agency run it. Constant interference from them. Even the agency name was awful. The Agency Inside Harte-Hanks. Really?

They are way to top heavy in all areas. For years we stated that we needed more people to actually do the work, not manage, and it only got worse, than the economy floundered and they had to get rid of tons of people. Since I've been gone, they have had another 3 layoffs. And some of the layoffs afterwards have been terrible, these are some of the most talented people I know. All political BS.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot much advice I can give, because the current batch of managers have some sort of twisted agenda. I personally know of 8 people let-go over the past two months and every one of them is EXCELLENT. Not enough brown-nosing from them I guess. These are peoples livelihoods, has some actual compassion.

Each business unit is like its own company making it difficult to work consistently. Lot of politics.

ProsMost employees get face to face with clients

ConsLittle investment in employees or facilities.. good work is just not enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork together and invest in the long term

Worked for Harte Hanks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Harte Hanks reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Harte Hanks CEO Robert A. Philpott. All 185 reviews posted anonymously by Harte Hanks employees.