Harte Hanks

Updated December 4, 2014
2.7

Harte Hanks President and Chief Executive Officer Robert A. Philpott
Robert A. Philpott

Pros
  • Great hard-working people, my boss was awesome in terms of work-life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Great People to work with decent pay (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't really know what the different departments do (in 12 reviews)

• Senior management has created a (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Roller coaster ride but lots of possibilities

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Billerica, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Billerica, MA

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time

Pros

With a new CEO and mostly new senior management, Harte Hanks is transforming itself into a leaner more focused company. The process is painful for many long term employees but the end result will hopefully be something whoever is left will be proud of and that clients will want to do business with.

Cons

Anytime a company transforms itself, there are many reductions in force and reorganizations. If you don't have the stomach for this type of environment, might be best to wait until the metamorphosis is complete. If you can embrace change and the unknown, hop on board!

Don't forget to value some of your longer term employees. Many of them have the client relationships you may want to retain.

Lots of exciting changes!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Billerica, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Billerica, MA

I have been working at Harte Hanks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I joined Harte Hanks because of all the exciting changes within the organization. The company has been around for a very long time and last year they hired a new CEO who has completely changed the company for the better which I think has been very hard for people that have been with the Harte Hanks for a number of years dealing with changes and restructuring. The vision of the company has evolved but we are positioning ourselves to grow tremendously over the next few years and beyond.

I joined Harte Hanks coming from all start ups and I didn't think working for such a large company I would have the ability to make an impact and I've been pleasantly surprised that my input is valued. In addition I've had the chance to work on some really interesting projects.

Cons

I would say one of the biggest cons is if you can't deal with change this is not the right company for you.

The benefits and vacation policy are competitive with some really cool discounts on some of our top name clients.

Keep doing what you are doing!

Good place to learn

Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Harte Hanks full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pretty good place to work with potential to move up. If you put the time in and network in the company then you can advance.

Cons

Pay is on the low side and there isn't much in the way of employee team building activities. Can be real cheap.

Great workplace

I have been working at Harte Hanks full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work-life balance, culture, great people in Manila

Cons

sick leaves are only 5

Serious issues at all levels of the organization.

Former Employee - Managing Director in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Managing Director in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The 401k plan is decent. Must also work 90 days before being eligible for health benefits.

Cons

No women or diversity at the C-level. Perpetual layoffs and extremely high turnover. An operational nightmare with conflicting businesses. The company is a downward spiral. A good place to work if you have zero ambition.

Consider replacing the current executive team with a diverse set of individuals who have demonstrable expertise and a proven track record of success in the last 3 years with other marketing companies. Avoid telling employees that there are many opportunities for them as the company changes direction when the so called strategy is nothing more than a 60 second pitch to wall street investors.

Extremely unorganized, lack of leadership, lack of vision, poor internal communication

Former Employee - Sales Executive
    Former Employee - Sales Executive

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

diverse offerings, some good, dedicated staff

Cons

need new senior management, commit to re-investing in the company (not short-term cuts to deliver a dividend for the shareholders that know nothing about the company), develop a new go-to-market strategy, develop truly innovative solutions

Get your feet wet here but don't dive into the deep end with this company.

Current Employee - Customer Support in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Austin, TX

I have been working at Harte Hanks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Gave me a start in my field. Decent training and for those whom this is their first white-collar job, it is a harsh introduction into the "customer is always right" business model which no longer applies in an age of self-importance and entitled customers

Cons

The new CEO spearheaded a corporate rebranding (see the new logo...) which spent millions of dollars pointlessly, while my entire team and other teams in the company, on average, saw one of the weakest average raise percentages in history. The response from middle management; "Be glad you have a job". Because of cost of living increases and increases in insurance, I now make less than when I started 3 years ago.

Just because your clients pay the bills, doesn't mean you have to be a lapdog to them.

Karoshi

Former Employee - Software Solutions Consultant Team Lead in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Solutions Consultant Team Lead in Austin, TX

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company is good if you're just starting out, and you're trying to get into the customer service business. Most of the employees (lower level employees - not management) are friendly and definitely have a family type feel.

Cons

The term karoshi means death by overwork. They will overwork you for little compensation. I left because I found a phone support position making more an hour than my manager. There's not a lot of room to advance. Favoritism and discrimination are prevalent in upper management. They come off as cold, and if you are ever called to their office, you quickly wonder how they got there by speaking to employees the way they do. Good management doesn't keep you in constant fear.

Good management doesn't keep you in constant fear. Instead of holding contests and drawing where 1 person gets an iPad, or a $25 gift card, pay people the compensation they deserve and they'll stay long enough to help your attrition rate. Treat them like humans, and realize that they have families and lives, and that they're not just numbers on a spreadsheet.

I love my job!

Current Employee - Tech Support Supervisor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Tech Support Supervisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Harte Hanks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Harte Hanks has not only provided many opportunities for growth on every level, but continues to grow with employees satisfaction as a priority. There is a positive environment everyday which makes one excited to come to work!

Cons

The only con was parking spaces. Harte Hanks has promoted carpooling with incentive which benefits employees as well as the environment.
    There have also been additional accommodations.

Great Job! Keep moving forward!

Unethical, Pathetic

Former Employee - Fed Ex Trainer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Fed Ex Trainer in Austin, TX

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Easy to obtain Employment there
    - Trainers, (at least the one I had), actually have done & do the work they are training you for.

Cons

All information in this statement below pertain specifically to the Austin, Texas Wells Branch location.

- Company offered to bribe their employees $25 for each positive online review. Once those who did so tried to collect, they were told by management that, '...it was a contest and that they would be notified of who won.'

- Consistently tries to force Employees to work off the clock, either on lunch breaks or on payed breaks, or when arriving early without permission to clock in.

- Very high turnover.

- a Supervisor who will remain nameless was forced to resign due to numerous complaints for a lengthy period of time. When the company got extremely low in its workforce, it called this Supervisor up and literally begged them to return, albeit with a futile attempt at disguising their desperation with humor. This individual returned, the primary culprit in trying to force people to work off the clock, and an yelled at an employee on the floor for not responding to them despite the fact that this employee was on the phone. This employee responded that he was on the phone (Supervisors are not permitted to interrupt people when they are on the phone, particularly when it is not their supervisor), and this Supervisor, who was not HIS supervisor, continued to yell at the employee until the employee responded in kind. This employee had perfect attendance and was one of the highest volume producers. This employee had also filed complaints about this individual multiple occasions and yet this was not taken into consideration when he was fired the next day.

- The very high turnover leaves a consistently higher volume of work load to be done. This is, by default, delegated to the more reliable employees who are expected to do their original work, plus the work of their former co-workers in the same amount of time.

- Bathrooms are frequently locked for hours each day. Jokes were made in training about former employees relieving themselves in the hall. I didn't take it until face value until I saw how hard it often was to get access to the bathrooms. I was one of the few agents who had card key access to all bathrooms, so whenever I was fortunate enough to actually get a brake or lunch and observed employees trying to get into a locked bathroom I would give them access to the other bathrooms that were locked via my card.

- Supervisors (NOT the trainers) DO NOT HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WHATSOEVER DOING THE JOBS OF THE PEOPLE THAT THEY ARE SUPERVISING. When problems or questions arise, the employees are left to help each other out.

- The work floor's social environment is akin to that of being in High School. Being someone who is middle-aged, and always used to spending free time with folks older (and usually wiser) than myself, this for me was very difficult. However, if you are in college or fresh out of High School, you might love it. Sexual intercourse, Homosexuality, and other inappropriate work discussions are common and rarely addressed. If you mention your Faith, however, you stand an excellent chance of being reprimanded.

- The company from all appearances discriminates against Heterosexuals in favor of Homosexuals.

- Human Resources is next to impossible to reach, via phone, or via Email, and the Company won't give you time to see them while you're on site.

- They admit they don't have enough parking spaces for all the employees, so they kept promising a shuttle for folks. As I understand they eventually did provide one, but not until a good amount of employees received citations. Those who arrived for work extra early, such as I, didn't find any problems. However, they tell you in training that you can be at your desk while off the clock or on break, but you will be reprimanded for doing so.

- The employee that I personally know of who was terminated, mentioned above, through no fault of his own, stated to his supervisor, 'please, if you all might be firing me tomorrow, please just tell me and I'll resign now'. His supervisor promised him in front of everyone that that was unlikely, most certainly wouldn't occur the next day, and begged him to show up the next day. When he did so, after an hour, they fired him. Human Resources got the other offending supervisors story immediately, but never gave permission for that employee (or many if not all of us) his side of the story. That was the one time I'd seen Human Resources, when firing someone.

- Absolutely no opportunities for advancement at the ground level. They are candid about this though during the interview.

- The Compensation is the lowest (that I know of) for this type of work in the Greater Austin Texas Metropolitan area.

- Avoid this company at all costs unless desperate for a job. If you are a person of Faith, prepare for the strong possibility of being offended on a regular basis and/or being ostracized for your Faith.

Being more careful to nurture the hardworking, reliable employees may seem more difficult and financially implausible in the short term, but it will pay off big time in the long run.