Harte Hanks

Updated January 31, 2015
2.7

Harte Hanks President and Chief Executive Officer Robert A. Philpott
Robert A. Philpott

Pros
  • Great hard-working people, my boss was awesome in terms of work-life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Great People to work with decent pay (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't really know what the different departments do (in 12 reviews)

• Senior management has created a (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Sometimes you just have to pay the bills and build experience

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Harte Hanks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

For Salaried Employees not at the top of the food chain:
    Flexible scheduling
    Fast upward movement
    Great benefits
    Laid back environment
    Even if some things aren't satisfactory, the company is moving in a better direction and they may care a little more about their salaried employees once they get it together in the future

Cons

For Salaried Employees not at the top of the food chain:
    Overworked
    Unfair Scheduling
    Empty Promises - Don't expect follow through on things you are promised
    Extremely low pay - Maybe the lowest paying in the area
    Minimal incentives or rewards
    Terrible support from management
    Far too many work-arounds, nothing works the way it should

Take a good hard look at what you aren't giving your salaried employees. Agents often get paid a lot more with less responsibility and are given a lot of rewards and incentives. The only plus side to going salary is the title and length of experience, but it is near impossible to pay the bills and the stress of all of the work and problems really isn't worth it. Some of our families are suffering because of it. If I didn't need the length of experience, I wouldn't be here.

The Guy they let go TWICE

Former Employee - Lead Generation Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Generation Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Harte Hanks as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

They have a trainer there named Robert who is amazing!

Cons

I worked at the Location in San Diego for two weeks. First off they let me go on the first day of employment because I was nervous. I have tons of experience in customer service and collections. What type of company lets you go on the first day??? Those are the type of reason people are homeless because of companies like Harte Hanks. They were good Samaritans and gave me another shot. On the very first day I got a lead which the goal is one a day. All through out employment there my manager was telling me how good a job I was doing. Then they just let me go out of no where for no reason. I am happy that they let me go because there management is very poor. Very poor training they just throw you on the phones and hopefully you can fend for yourself. If you cant then too bad they cut you. I made appointment yesterday but the manager listened to the call and did not accept it because of the verbiage the decision maker made. He never even trained me on really anything. He should be fired but of course he wont because the managers the higher up managers want people with no ambition. At all. She even said it herself she does not believe in New Years Resolutions. What kind of vice president or whatever position she is doesnt believe in Goals. I completed a call every day which was what the manager said was acceptable. At the end of the day they acted like everything was all good but they just let me go with no explanation. If anyone is reading this that is apart of the company please look into getting new management because the management you have set up in San Diego lacks professionalism. Harte Hanks represents big companies like Hewlett Packard and Oracle and I can assure you they would not want their type of ethics apart of their business.

Make sure you highlight the requirements for the job. People have bills to pay and just cutting people with out giving them warning and justification is completely unethical. I wish you guys the best of luck in your hiring and firing. What goes around comes around.

There are currently a lot of changes but hoping they are going to be good positive changes down the road

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Billerica, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Billerica, MA

I have been working at Harte Hanks full-time

Pros

The company did need some changes, despite the way they have had to go about them, we hope they are going to be good changes in the future and make this a 5 star company to work at again

Cons

Management right now is doing everything they need to to make these changes which aren't all good.....

Get on with the changes already so that we can start implementing and working in the new culture to get this show on the road

Was a great place to work but last 3 years went down hill.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deerfield Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deerfield Beach, FL

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits and learned a lot in 10 years with company. Met some awesome people and worked very hard for the promotion I earned.

Cons

Worked too hard with little verbal appreciation. Example: I would put in 10 - 12 hour days plus weekends & working from home. Small memory of those sacrifices. Management micro managed, would talk to you when a mistake was made but rarely anything when 99% of everything was done accurately & timely, lessoning work load for manager. Plus practiced favoritism.

Somewhere along the way it was no longer satisfying working for Harte Hanks. Too much turmoil, not enough discussion. Remember that you gain loyalty by showing it to your hard working employees.

Just say no.

Former Employee - Fedex Techsupport in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Fedex Techsupport in Austin, TX

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a paycheck. If you're desperate like I was at the time then take it because it's money but if you're not hurting to pay the bills keep on looking.

Cons

Management was horrible. The "working conditions" were awful. Got kids and a family? They don't care, they will force you to work on holidays even though they claim that they aren't mandatory work days.

Consider your employees for a change.

Work was great, management not so much...

Former Employee - Market Manager in Yardley, PA
    Former Employee - Market Manager in Yardley, PA

I worked at Harte Hanks

Pros

The work was easy. Everyone basically left you alone to complete assignments. I rarely went into the office.

Cons

I felt isolated and it always seemed like management didn't know what they were doing or what was happening.

Communicate with your employees more. I went through 3 managers in a year and I had maybe 4 conversations total.

Good Place

Former Employee - Inbound Call Agent in Texarkana, TX
    Former Employee - Inbound Call Agent in Texarkana, TX

I worked at Harte Hanks part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good work environment, and great training. The staff will help you, and it is fairly easy to get on if you are a honest person.

Cons

A lot of gossip, angry customer base, boring atmosphere. The turnover is bad, and they also have strict policies you got to follow.

Always comment and show appreciation.

Outsourcing all software development over seas..tons of layoffs

Current Employee - Manager in Billerica, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Billerica, MA

I have been working at Harte Hanks full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Management does just the opposite of what they promised

Cons

Outsourcing all programming and HR. Horrible morale, lousy pay...really bad management

Stable company with more than 90 year in the market with good benefits

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Deerfield Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Deerfield Beach, FL

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time (less than a year)

Pros

As employee in certain executive level, you have the option to work from home and the company provide you with all the necessary equipment

Cons

It's reducing the personnel worldwide and it's outsourcing certain types of jobs and departments like Human Resources

Consider discussing to create an employees' fund or cooperative to support all the employees worldwide

Client Engagment Services

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yardley, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yardley, PA

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company was better when it was DiMark. It was a more creative agency. Good benefits, people and fun work environment.

Cons

Now a marketing company providig measurable results but has lost the creative edge.

Be more personable and get off your high horse.