Harte Hanks Reviews

Updated April 15, 2015
268 reviews filtered by

1. Harte Hanks Support

I have been working at Harte Hanks

Pros

Flexible work environment, fellow staff are nice and the office is quiet.

Cons

Not really any "career path" to speak of.

2. Shrinkage

Current Employee - Database Marketing Analyst in Billerica, MA
    Current Employee - Database Marketing Analyst in Billerica, MA

I have been working at Harte Hanks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits , time off , work from home. immediate managers in tune and effective.

Cons

Lots of off-hour support, no product development, no software development, slow systems , old technology, HH didn't keep up. No raises. upper out of office managers and directors always focusing on negative, jumping in to waste time filling them in. Upper management decision is to outsource database marketing group, not great for clients, Client lose.

Advice to Management

Just trying to hang on to the shrinking database business, maybe just sell it off.

These positive reviews are bogus...horrible company to work for

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They will be selling it soon, so new management.
    Reduced facilities cost because no one is allowed to have an office
    Reduced salary expense because there are no raises
    Reduced Insurance expense because they pass those increases back to employees

Cons

No focus on sales or revenue in years...half the company it was 5 years ago
    Customers are leaving in droves
    Employees can't stand the new management team
    Lies, lies and more lies from management

Advice to Management

Get out and let someone with experience in this field run the business

5. Sometimes you just have to pay the bills and build experience

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Harte Hanks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

For Salaried Employees not at the top of the food chain:
    Flexible scheduling
    Fast upward movement
    Great benefits
    Laid back environment
    Even if some things aren't satisfactory, the company is moving in a better direction and they may care a little more about their salaried employees once they get it together in the future

Cons

For Salaried Employees not at the top of the food chain:
    Overworked
    Unfair Scheduling
    Empty Promises - Don't expect follow through on things you are promised
    Extremely low pay - Maybe the lowest paying in the area
    Minimal incentives or rewards
    Terrible support from management
    Far too many work-arounds, nothing works the way it should

Advice to Management

Take a good hard look at what you aren't giving your salaried employees. Agents often get paid a lot more with less responsibility and are given a lot of rewards and incentives. The only plus side to going salary is the title and length of experience, but it is near impossible to pay the bills and the stress of all of the work and problems really isn't worth it. Some of our families are suffering because of it. If I didn't need the length of experience, I wouldn't be here.

6. The Guy they let go TWICE

Former Contractor - Lead Generation Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Former Contractor - Lead Generation Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Harte Hanks as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

They have a trainer there named Robert who is amazing!

Cons

I worked at the Location in San Diego for two weeks. First off they let me go on the first day of employment because I was nervous. I have tons of experience in customer service and collections. What type of company lets you go on the first day??? Those are the type of reason people are homeless because of companies like Harte Hanks. They were good Samaritans and gave me another shot. On the very first day I got a lead which the goal is one a day. All through out employment there my manager was telling me how good a job I was doing. Then they just let me go out of no where for no reason. I am happy that they let me go because there management is very poor. Very poor training they just throw you on the phones and hopefully you can fend for yourself. If you cant then too bad they cut you. I made appointment yesterday but the manager listened to the call and did not accept it because of the verbiage the decision maker made. He never even trained me on really anything. He should be fired but of course he wont because the managers the higher up managers want people with no ambition. At all. She even said it herself she does not believe in New Years Resolutions. What kind of vice president or whatever position she is doesnt believe in Goals. I completed a call every day which was what the manager said was acceptable. At the end of the day they acted like everything was all good but they just let me go with no explanation. If anyone is reading this that is apart of the company please look into getting new management because the management you have set up in San Diego lacks professionalism. Harte Hanks represents big companies like Hewlett Packard and Oracle and I can assure you they would not want their type of ethics apart of their business.

Advice to Management

Make sure you highlight the requirements for the job. People have bills to pay and just cutting people with out giving them warning and justification is completely unethical. I wish you guys the best of luck in your hiring and firing. What goes around comes around.

7. Just say no.

Former Employee - Fedex Techsupport in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Fedex Techsupport in Austin, TX

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a paycheck. If you're desperate like I was at the time then take it because it's money but if you're not hurting to pay the bills keep on looking.

Cons

Management was horrible. The "working conditions" were awful. Got kids and a family? They don't care, they will force you to work on holidays even though they claim that they aren't mandatory work days.

Advice to Management

Consider your employees for a change.

All the positive reviews about the chance are Fake

Current Employee - Database Administrator in Langhorne, PA
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Langhorne, PA

I have been working at Harte Hanks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None. This is worst employer my whole career. Specifically the Database management department DBM based on Longhorn (Now Yardley, PA)

Cons

Most of reviews you see here are negative reviews about the company (especially about the DBM). But there are some positive reviews about the change in organization and structure. If you carefully notice this positive reviews they all have same theme. I can very confidently say this is employer written reviews and not genuine ones

Advice to Management

The company is a shinking ship and your the whole and sole reason for this.

Disgusted with this business

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

mon-friday work week
    after training job is easy

Cons

certain manager has no real on the floor training
    to many special projects
    leads are overworked
    not being paid what your REALLY worth
    email program is constantly crashing (not OE)

Advice to Management

all management needs to go thru training on there campaign so they know what they are doing,
    leads need to be learning how to do management
    want to know why people are burnt out? Ask them but put it in a way that they are not fearful of loosing their job

Lots of exciting changes!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Billerica, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Billerica, MA

I have been working at Harte Hanks full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I joined Harte Hanks because of all the exciting changes within the organization. The company has been around for a very long time and last year they hired a new CEO who has completely changed the company for the better which I think has been very hard for people that have been with the Harte Hanks for a number of years dealing with changes and restructuring. The vision of the company has evolved but we are positioning ourselves to grow tremendously over the next few years and beyond.

I joined Harte Hanks coming from all start ups and I didn't think working for such a large company I would have the ability to make an impact and I've been pleasantly surprised that my input is valued. In addition I've had the chance to work on some really interesting projects.

Cons

I would say one of the biggest cons is if you can't deal with change this is not the right company for you.

The benefits and vacation policy are competitive with some really cool discounts on some of our top name clients.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

Roller coaster ride but lots of possibilities

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Billerica, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Billerica, MA

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time

Pros

With a new CEO and mostly new senior management, Harte Hanks is transforming itself into a leaner more focused company. The process is painful for many long term employees but the end result will hopefully be something whoever is left will be proud of and that clients will want to do business with.

Cons

Anytime a company transforms itself, there are many reductions in force and reorganizations. If you don't have the stomach for this type of environment, might be best to wait until the metamorphosis is complete. If you can embrace change and the unknown, hop on board!

Advice to Management

Don't forget to value some of your longer term employees. Many of them have the client relationships you may want to retain.