Harte Hanks Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
1.8
Doug Shepard

Pros
  • Good work life balance and nice people (in 13 reviews)

• Great People to work with decent pay (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't really know what the different departments do (in 12 reviews)

• Senior management has created a (in 8 reviews)

1. Love the people don't love the direction

Current Employee - Accounting in Shawnee, KS
    Current Employee - Accounting in Shawnee, KS

I have been working at Harte Hanks full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great hard-working people, my boss was awesome in terms of work-life balance.

Cons

Lack of leadership and leadership support! No one in upper management seems to care about the people on the ground

Advice to Management

Share more with the people on the ground. You have great people, but will continue to lose them without your support Also, invest more back into the company. There are far too many manual processes.

Just a number

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Shawnee, KS
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Shawnee, KS

Pros

The people that you work with become like family Fairly easy job

Cons

No support from upper management (All you are is a number to them) Unrealistic expectations from management No chance for advancement Poor pay

Advice to Management

Start caring about your employees

3. Beats drowning in a pool or lake.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shawnee, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shawnee, KS

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As long as your scheduled your pay checks come like clock work.

Cons

no matter what transpires throughout the day it is your fault, especially when your right and your watched and judged constantly.

Advice to Management

I need more hydraulics fluid and a good oil change

Call Center Agent

Former Employee - Call Agent in Shawnee, KS
    Former Employee - Call Agent in Shawnee, KS

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The training was the best part of the job.

Cons

Work/life balance is not there...long hours and little pay

Advice to Management

Be more caring...have more development and coaching.

6. I have been blessed to work with terrific people who are genuinely interested in helping senior citizens on Medicare.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Shawnee, KS
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Shawnee, KS

I have been working at Harte Hanks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company expects you to be punctual and to do the right thing and your reward is a good working atmosphere.

Cons

At Harte Hanks you are in turn working for one of the clients employing Harte Hanks' services, so your hours and the length of those hours are dictated in part by that client which means you may sometimes get overtime, but you may also sometimes get less than 40 hours per week.

Advice to Management

The more you allow your account supervisors to walk around on the floor and converse with the call center representatives, the better the working relationship between the two parties will likely be. Also, when closing down a call center, you are losing some very valuable people. You might consider allowing some of them to work remotely, taking calls from home. Thank you for a good experience overall.

7. Not consistently in pursuit of new Fortune 500 clientele in representation of services.

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Shawnee, KS
    Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Shawnee, KS

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A variety of tasks that may lead to fast promotions within core settings.

Cons

Derailment of projects due to too many in between short term projects that lead to periods of unemployment for many in between or interest lacking of various projects that lead employees astray in returning to work.

Advice to Management

Much Improvement and pro-action is needed with their external sales force.

Disappointing at best.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Shawnee, KS
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Shawnee, KS

I have been working at Harte Hanks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We had a great team, good managers at our level and a good, regular work schedule.

Cons

Pay was substandard, work load kept increasing as the team dwindled, management lied to us constantly, moved work stations unnecessarily and often. They forgot the "carrot on a stick" metaphor, but never the stick.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like respected humans, not desks or chairs. Put people before profits and profits will come. Motivating people with popcorn can't be working all that well for you...

Survival wage but forgiving HR

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative - Hourly in Shawnee, KS
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative - Hourly in Shawnee, KS

I have been working at Harte Hanks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Forgiving HR policies; as long as you show up and treat the customers well they give you lots of room to do what needs to be done.

Cons

Pays below local going rate for inbound call center experience. Inadequate training. Air in workplace constantly reeks of mold. For whatever reason, you are not allowed to check your schedule except at the workplace, and they reserve the right to change your schedule up to one hour before your standard shift - which you can't check before you leave because you can't check your schedule from home.

Favoritism, outsourcing and no time for bathroom breaks for you!!

Former Employee - Copy Editor for Newstand in Shawnee, KS
    Former Employee - Copy Editor for Newstand in Shawnee, KS

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Few. The co-workers were really nice and friendly. They had microwaves. IT was very knowledgeable but overworked due to there only being two of them.

Cons

Lots. If you are not a friend of the boss, there is no chance for a promotion. It is all about favoritism even if you are the best at your job and prove it month in and month out. Supervisors were not prepared for their role. They complained all the time about all the work they had to do, even though their work consisted of a few phone calls and some PTO time plotting. Outsourcing was rampant. In a span of two days, they laid off 8 people so they could keep the people in Manilla for cheaper labor. They decided to save money by getting rid of eating utensils. Really.... Eating utensils were the first thing to go?... If you needed to use the bathroom, you had to plot that time and if you went over the allotted time for "personal time" (8 minutes), you got an incident on your file.

Advice to Management

Do better

Working here was much like a prison sentence.

Former Employee - Tech Support Representative in Shawnee, KS
    Former Employee - Tech Support Representative in Shawnee, KS

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I met some funny people. I learned a lot about the world of ebooks and technical info with mobile devices.

Cons

I was verbally abused on a regular basis. My lead seemed not to care if she offended people. The halls, walls, employee "cafe" reminded me of a prison. Many of the managers began their talks with, "well, know this isn't the best place to work, but.......". My ideas for improvement were never taken seriously. Everything had been outsourced except bathroom breaks. Some random person in the Philippines made my work schedule which would shift every week, when I called the HR department to get a copy of my W-2, I talked with an agent in New York (I was in Kansas). I was informed that an on site HR department did not exist. What if I was harassed while on the job? Would I call New York to submit a complaint? Absurd. Our humanity was deleted, replaced with numbers and although I was always in the top 5 best-performing agents, I was paid only enough to barely feed myself and my daughter. On the day before I quit, I took a lifechanging phone call and used the proper personal time phone mode. When I returned 10 minutes later to my desk, my lead screamed at me which was very unprofessional and hurtful to me.. Actually she screamed at lots of people and lots of people screamed back. The lack of respect for people was shocking. I have vowed to never let myself become a victim of such an exploitive, extractive and de-humanizing corporation again. Don't work there.

Advice to Management

Respect people. Listen. Create a feedback survey so that you can understand the damage you are doing to people. Hire managers who don't scream at employees. Stop the outsourcing madness. It sucks on so many levels. The customers hate it too. Everyone hates except the spineless people at the top. Get some decency, get real.

RSS Feed </> Embed