Harte Hanks

Updated Jun 3, 2014

Harte Hanks President and Chief Executive Officer Robert A. Philpott

Robert A. Philpott

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I have been blessed to work with terrific people who are genuinely interested in helping senior citizens on Medicare.

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Shawnee, KS

ProsThe company expects you to be punctual and to do the right thing and your reward is a good working atmosphere.

ConsAt Harte Hanks you are in turn working for one of the clients employing Harte Hanks' services, so your hours and the length of those hours are dictated in part by that client which means you may sometimes get overtime, but you may also sometimes get less than 40 hours per week.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe more you allow your account supervisors to walk around on the floor and converse with the call center representatives, the better the working relationship between the two parties will likely be. Also, when closing down a call center, you are losing some very valuable people. You might consider allowing some of them to work remotely, taking calls from home.
    Thank you for a good experience overall.

Beats drowning in a pool or lake.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Shawnee, KS

ProsAs long as your scheduled your pay checks come like clock work.

Consno matter what transpires throughout the day it is your fault, especially when your right and your watched and judged constantly.

Advice to Senior ManagementI need more hydraulics fluid and a good oil change

Call Center Agent

Call Agent (Former Employee)
    Shawnee, KS

ProsThe training was the best part of the job.

ConsWork/life balance is not there...long hours and little pay

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more caring...have more development and coaching.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not consistently in pursuit of new Fortune 500 clientele in representation of services.

Technical Support Representative (Former Employee)
    Shawnee, KS

ProsA variety of tasks that may lead to fast promotions within core settings.

ConsDerailment of projects due to too many in between short term projects that lead to periods of unemployment for many in between or interest lacking of various projects that lead employees astray in returning to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementMuch Improvement and pro-action is needed with their external sales force.

Disappointing at best.

Shawnee, KS

ProsWe had a great team, good managers at our level and a good, regular work schedule.

ConsPay was substandard, work load kept increasing as the team dwindled, management lied to us constantly, moved work stations unnecessarily and often. They forgot the "carrot on a stick" metaphor, but never the stick.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees like respected humans, not desks or chairs. Put people before profits and profits will come. Motivating people with popcorn can't be working all that well for you...

Survival wage but forgiving HR

Customer Service Representative - Hourly (Current Employee)
    Shawnee, KS

ProsForgiving HR policies; as long as you show up and treat the customers well they give you lots of room to do what needs to be done.

ConsPays below local going rate for inbound call center experience. Inadequate training. Air in workplace constantly reeks of mold. For whatever reason, you are not allowed to check your schedule except at the workplace, and they reserve the right to change your schedule up to one hour before your standard shift - which you can't check before you leave because you can't check your schedule from home.

Favoritism, outsourcing and no time for bathroom breaks for you!!

Copy Editor for Newstand (Former Employee)
    Shawnee, KS

ProsFew. The co-workers were really nice and friendly. They had microwaves.

IT was very knowledgeable but overworked due to there only being two of them.

ConsLots.

If you are not a friend of the boss, there is no chance for a promotion. It is all about favoritism even if you are the best at your job and prove it month in and month out.

Supervisors were not prepared for their role. They complained all the time about all the work they had to do, even though their work consisted of a few phone calls and some PTO time plotting.

Outsourcing was rampant. In a span of two days, they laid off 8 people so they could keep the people in Manilla for cheaper labor.

They decided to save money by getting rid of eating utensils. Really.... Eating utensils were the first thing to go?...

If you needed to use the bathroom, you had to plot that time and if you went over the allotted time for "personal time" (8 minutes), you got an incident on your file.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo better

Working here was much like a prison sentence.

Tech Support Representative (Former Employee)
    Shawnee, KS

ProsI met some funny people. I learned a lot about the world of ebooks and technical info with mobile devices.

ConsI was verbally abused on a regular basis. My lead seemed not to care if she offended people. The halls, walls, employee "cafe" reminded me of a prison. Many of the managers began their talks with, "well, know this isn't the best place to work, but.......". My ideas for improvement were never taken seriously. Everything had been outsourced except bathroom breaks. Some random person in the Philippines made my work schedule which would shift every week, when I called the HR department to get a copy of my W-2, I talked with an agent in New York (I was in Kansas). I was informed that an on site HR department did not exist. What if I was harassed while on the job? Would I call New York to submit a complaint? Absurd. Our humanity was deleted, replaced with numbers and although I was always in the top 5 best-performing agents, I was paid only enough to barely feed myself and my daughter. On the day before I quit, I took a lifechanging phone call and used the proper personal time phone mode. When I returned 10 minutes later to my desk, my lead screamed at me which was very unprofessional and hurtful to me.. Actually she screamed at lots of people and lots of people screamed back. The lack of respect for people was shocking. I have vowed to never let myself become a victim of such an exploitive, extractive and de-humanizing corporation again. Don't work there.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect people. Listen. Create a feedback survey so that you can understand the damage you are doing to people. Hire managers who don't scream at employees. Stop the outsourcing madness. It sucks on so many levels. The customers hate it too. Everyone hates except the spineless people at the top. Get some decency, get real.

Stepping stone

Shawnee, KS

ProsGreat benefits and time off. If you are somewhat intelligent, you'll stand out to managers and be treated better than most.

ConsThe pay is a joke. Some reps working at HH for 6 months are making more than reps who have been there for 3 years. Raises are not performance based. Management treats employees like crap, mostly because employees don't care about their jobs and are very lazy.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in better employees.

If you come to work everyday and do your job your efforts will be rewarded and will not go unnoticed

Shawnee, KS

ProsVery relaxed environment, Casual Dress, Competitive Pay, Great Benefits, Thorough Training, Advancement Opportunities, Encouragement to maintain a Healthy Work/Life Balance

My husband passed and I had been off work for 2 years before coming to Harte-Hanks.. I appreciate the positive energy and smiles that I see everyday. The ongoing training is awesome. I've been doing Customer Service for over 10 years and Harte-Hanks is by far the most employee friendly

ConsMy personal opinion is that WE need to hire more mature associates. I like that WE give everybody a chance BUT some of the people are really childish and if allow yourself to fall into that type of thing you are doomed to FAIL..

Advice to Senior ManagementI really like the environment and MOST people in my center take their jobs very seriously. I like sitting around people who take PRIDE in their work. You can hear the smiles in the agents voice and thats an awesome feeling. Knowing that you are NOT ALONE and that WE really are a TEAM is the best feeling ever!

Worked for Harte Hanks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Harte Hanks reviews and ratings in Shawnee, KS — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Harte Hanks CEO Robert A. Philpott. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Harte Hanks employees.