Harte Hanks

Robert A. Philpott

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to grow

I have been working at Harte Hanks full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe expectation is excellence, and when you achieve it with the great people around yhou here, the feeling is amazing.

ConsThe management team if the 2000s left the company pretty much gutted of senior management talent and under-invested in improving our capabilities. That is all changing now.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your mid-level people much, much more. You don't know how some of your work even gets done.

Marketing Intern

Marketing Intern (Former Employee)
Yardley, PA

I worked at Harte Hanks as an intern for less than a year

ProsWorked closely with my supervisor, who provided coaching and help whenever I needed it. Had the opportunity to work on different projects related to different industries and required a variety of skills. Was able to take on projects that were relevant to my interests. The position provided great exposure to the marketing industry.

ConsThere weren't many cons for me in my experience as an intern. One would be location, especially for younger people who want to be near a big city -- this was about an hour outside of Philadelphia.

Advice to Senior Management-

Waaay too corporate

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time

ProsFace to face with clients and great co-workers.

ConsThe agency was ruined by the rest of the Hart Hanks business units. We were the most profitable part of the company, yet because the rest of the units were all floundering, we constantly had the threat of layoffs and downsizing. No raises, no bonuses, no nothing for years and years. Favoritism and politics ran rampant. You were not aloud to have an opinion that differed from corporate, no matter how smart and innovative you were. HH also had tons of B & C clients and almost no A clients. Reason? The corporate office was not smart enough to let the leaders of the agency run it. Constant interference from them. Even the agency name was awful. The Agency Inside Harte-Hanks. Really?

They are way to top heavy in all areas. For years we stated that we needed more people to actually do the work, not manage, and it only got worse, than the economy floundered and they had to get rid of tons of people. Since I've been gone, they have had another 3 layoffs. And some of the layoffs afterwards have been terrible, these are some of the most talented people I know. All political BS.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot much advice I can give, because the current batch of managers have some sort of twisted agenda. I personally know of 8 people let-go over the past two months and every one of them is EXCELLENT. Not enough brown-nosing from them I guess. These are peoples livelihoods, has some actual compassion.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

When I cried on my way to work every day, I knew I had to leave

Copy Supervisor (Former Employee)
Yardley, PA

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time for less than a year

ProsCan't think of one.

I hear there's new staff. Hoping that changes the experience for others to something positive.

ConsManagement
No sense of team
Yelling doesn't work....I remember one incident when I had just received an assignment and the creative lead came to me moments later and yelled, "Where's my f-ing manuscript". There was no calming her down.
One day I had to leave for a medical emergency. I was told if I did, my job might not be there. 2 weeks later, I was let go for "financial reasons".

Advice to Senior ManagementYou get more bees with honey, not vinegar

Disappointed

I have been working at Harte Hanks full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMany highly talented, hard working people working for this division.

ConsToo many senior managers that are not in touch with the day-to-day management of clients which causes those managing the workload much stress and late hours. Lack of training available to employees, including some managers who should not be in a 'managing people' role. Not competitive in the marketplace with salary level. High employee turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in employees as they are indeed the companies most-valuable asset.

NoTimeOff Harte Hanks

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time

ProsGreat experience in Digital Marketing and exposure to top clients. A lot of smart, talented, and hardworking employees.

ConsVery poor time management. Managers treat you like they own you, not like you are an employee. Care only about meeting deadlines at any cost to their employees with no real effort in supplying the right amount of resources to get a job done. If you do not consistently work late hours (12+ hour days) you are looked down upon, expected to work weekends also and with no incentive. Taking your earned paid time off is difficult and treated as an inconvenience to management and team.

Advice to Senior ManagementManage time better. When you do not manage client expectations with the right amount of resources it is not the duty of your employees to pick up the slack. Don't make empty promises. Show appreciation for the talent you have at the company and allocate them appropriately. Appreciate those who work hard by not taking full advantage of them.

Long Hours, Little Work/Life Balance

I worked at Harte Hanks

ProsGain experience with big name clients such as Disney, Sony, Merck, etc.

ConsTaking time off from work is frowned upon. Working late is the typical day and leaving on time is looked down upon. Even leaving on time the day before I left for my wedding was said to be a "huge inconvenience". No room for errors.

Magnificent UNTIL bought by Hartless-Hanks. Then less vacation less genes more hours

Senior Programmer Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Harte Hanks

ProsThe people are about it.

Cons60 hour work weeks expected. Customer expectations not managed. Promise them anything, set a deadline and THEN drop it on the programmer and don't worry about it. The programmers are used to working weekends "when necessary". Get pissy when you get a call late at night or on the weekend to discuss items not in the specs. Haha..if its a rush job there are no specs..they write as you code and RECODE.

Advice to Senior ManagementManage customer expectations. Don't make late nights and weekends expected. Be appreciative when people put in the extra hours.

Take action to make improvements not just lecture about them.

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Harte Hanks

ProsWork from home available.
Opportunity to get involved in many disciplines.
Good base of clients.

ConsEveryday is managing chaos, everyone has their own opinion on how things should be done. This causes much disarray.

While managers are hands-off of your daily activities and this is good, this also means they have no idea if their team or peers are actually doing a good or bad job. (As long as the job gets done.)

Job titles are meaningless here. No one really know what exactly they should be doing, we just get it done. While everyone is productive, this method of working drains everyone eventually.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop talking about what we need to do as a company (collaborate/innovate/sell) and actually put processes and leaders in place that manage and implement. Enforce management into actually leading their teams and measuring/reporting on how we are doing.

60 hr weeks

Programmer Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Harte Hanks

Prosco-workers are one of the few

Consexcessive hours and
unmanaged customer expectations

Advice to Senior Managementmanage customer expectations

Worked for Harte Hanks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Harte Hanks reviews and ratings in Yardley, PA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Harte Hanks CEO Robert A. Philpott. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by Harte Hanks employees.