Harte Hanks

Updated December 19, 2014
2.7

Harte Hanks President and Chief Executive Officer Robert A. Philpott
Robert A. Philpott

Pros
  • Great hard-working people, my boss was awesome in terms of work-life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Great People to work with decent pay (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't really know what the different departments do (in 12 reviews)

• Senior management has created a (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Watch your back

Former Employee - Recruitment Specialist in Yardley, PA
    Former Employee - Recruitment Specialist in Yardley, PA

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers - everyone's there to do a job, and they work together to get the work done.

Cons

Have to always watch what you say, because some employees will throw you under the bus to protect themselves.

Not a good place to work... Very High Attrition... Micro managing

Former Employee - Software Developer in Yardley, PA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Yardley, PA

I worked at Harte Hanks

Pros

The company had some very talented individuals, it is unfortunate that they did not recognize them for their skills.

Cons

High Attrition Rate. No action taken to retain talent. Micro managing. People not capable of are Head of Tech!! who really know nothing about technology, always worried about role and day to day activities (at what time you come in.. when you leave etc.!!). very premature HR dept. Salaries below industry average. Forget applying if you need help with immigration (H1/ GC), you will be fooled (no support/documentation provided no matter what). Very unorganized leadership. Poor internal communication (one-way). No pay hikes once joined, No appreciation of talent or good work but if something goes wrong ready to point fingers. would never recommend to a friend/anyone.

Invest in talent, know your employees, know if the mangers are capable! Be transparent in reality not just words.

One of the worst places I ever worked. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. Not a single redeeming factor.

Current Employee - Copy Supervisor in Yardley, PA
    Current Employee - Copy Supervisor in Yardley, PA

I have been working at Harte Hanks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I had a paycheck. That is all. 20 word minimum? okay, I had a paycheck. I had a paycheck. I had a paycheck. That's what I told myself every day.

Cons

Everything about this job. The people, the expectations, the schedule, the lying, the backstabbing, the crying (yes, this place made people so crazy they cried).

Confused priorities

Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Yardley, PA
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Yardley, PA

I have been working at Harte Hanks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of positions that work 8:30 to 5:00 so not long hours like many other agencies. Nice people who care about others.

Cons

A new managing director was brought in about a year ago and set about firing everyone that could in any way compete with him. Problem is that they are all the people that were running the business. This guy comes from a consulting background and doesn't know how to do basic client service stuff. He has gutted the biggest accounts, half launched a restructure and explained the he just "needs enough runway to fly away to corporate" telling us workers that we should all work really hard and keep bailing the sinking boat until he can get that off the ground. At least he is honest sometimes.

It is not all about you. If you don't take care of the clients we have then there will be no agency. People need to get salary increases when they perform and training to help them get better. Consider cutting down on the lunches you bring in for your executive meetings and pay for some training.

Lack of investment in employees

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Yardley, PA
    Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Yardley, PA

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Positive atmosphere
    - Big name clients

Cons

- Lack of compensation incentives
    - Little to no training

There is a reason why turnover is so high....

Great place to grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yardley, PA

I have been working at Harte Hanks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The expectation is excellence, and when you achieve it with the great people around yhou here, the feeling is amazing.

Cons

The management team if the 2000s left the company pretty much gutted of senior management talent and under-invested in improving our capabilities. That is all changing now.

Listen to your mid-level people much, much more. You don't know how some of your work even gets done.

Waaay too corporate

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time

Pros

Face to face with clients and great co-workers.

Cons

The agency was ruined by the rest of the Hart Hanks business units. We were the most profitable part of the company, yet because the rest of the units were all floundering, we constantly had the threat of layoffs and downsizing. No raises, no bonuses, no nothing for years and years. Favoritism and politics ran rampant. You were not aloud to have an opinion that differed from corporate, no matter how smart and innovative you were. HH also had tons of B & C clients and almost no A clients. Reason? The corporate office was not smart enough to let the leaders of the agency run it. Constant interference from them. Even the agency name was awful. The Agency Inside Harte-Hanks. Really?

They are way to top heavy in all areas. For years we stated that we needed more people to actually do the work, not manage, and it only got worse, than the economy floundered and they had to get rid of tons of people. Since I've been gone, they have had another 3 layoffs. And some of the layoffs afterwards have been terrible, these are some of the most talented people I know. All political BS.

Not much advice I can give, because the current batch of managers have some sort of twisted agenda. I personally know of 8 people let-go over the past two months and every one of them is EXCELLENT. Not enough brown-nosing from them I guess. These are peoples livelihoods, has some actual compassion.

Marketing Intern

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Yardley, PA
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Yardley, PA

I worked at Harte Hanks as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Worked closely with my supervisor, who provided coaching and help whenever I needed it. Had the opportunity to work on different projects related to different industries and required a variety of skills. Was able to take on projects that were relevant to my interests. The position provided great exposure to the marketing industry.

Cons

There weren't many cons for me in my experience as an intern. One would be location, especially for younger people who want to be near a big city -- this was about an hour outside of Philadelphia.

Disappointed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yardley, PA

I have been working at Harte Hanks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many highly talented, hard working people working for this division.

Cons

Too many senior managers that are not in touch with the day-to-day management of clients which causes those managing the workload much stress and late hours. Lack of training available to employees, including some managers who should not be in a 'managing people' role. Not competitive in the marketplace with salary level. High employee turnover.

Invest in employees as they are indeed the companies most-valuable asset.

NoTimeOff Harte Hanks

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time

Pros

Great experience in Digital Marketing and exposure to top clients. A lot of smart, talented, and hardworking employees.

Cons

Very poor time management. Managers treat you like they own you, not like you are an employee. Care only about meeting deadlines at any cost to their employees with no real effort in supplying the right amount of resources to get a job done. If you do not consistently work late hours (12+ hour days) you are looked down upon, expected to work weekends also and with no incentive. Taking your earned paid time off is difficult and treated as an inconvenience to management and team.

Manage time better. When you do not manage client expectations with the right amount of resources it is not the duty of your employees to pick up the slack. Don't make empty promises. Show appreciation for the talent you have at the company and allocate them appropriately. Appreciate those who work hard by not taking full advantage of them.