Harte Hanks

Updated February 10, 2015
2.1

Harte Hanks President and Chief Executive Officer Robert A. Philpott
Robert A. Philpott

Pros
  • Great hard-working people, my boss was awesome in terms of work-life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Great People to work with decent pay (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't really know what the different departments do (in 12 reviews)

• Senior management has created a (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

22 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Work was great, management not so much...

Former Employee - Market Manager in Yardley, PA
    Former Employee - Market Manager in Yardley, PA

I worked at Harte Hanks

Pros

The work was easy. Everyone basically left you alone to complete assignments. I rarely went into the office.

Cons

I felt isolated and it always seemed like management didn't know what they were doing or what was happening.

Communicate with your employees more. I went through 3 managers in a year and I had maybe 4 conversations total.

Client Engagment Services

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yardley, PA

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company was better when it was DiMark. It was a more creative agency. Good benefits, people and fun work environment.

Cons

Now a marketing company providig measurable results but has lost the creative edge.

Be more personable and get off your high horse.

Struggling company - morale is low

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yardley, PA

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most people are generally friendly - nice office environment.

Cons

New senior management has changed the climate of the company - not the same Harte Hanks that I was originally hired in to. No opportunity for career growth.

Not a good place to work... Very High Attrition... Micro managing

Former Employee - Software Developer in Yardley, PA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Yardley, PA

I worked at Harte Hanks

Pros

The company had some very talented individuals, it is unfortunate that they did not recognize them for their skills.

Cons

High Attrition Rate. No action taken to retain talent. Micro managing. People not capable of are Head of Tech!! who really know nothing about technology, always worried about role and day to day activities (at what time you come in.. when you leave etc.!!). very premature HR dept. Salaries below industry average. Forget applying if you need help with immigration (H1/ GC), you will be fooled (no support/documentation provided no matter what). Very unorganized leadership. Poor internal communication (one-way). No pay hikes once joined, No appreciation of talent or good work but if something goes wrong ready to point fingers. would never recommend to a friend/anyone.

Invest in talent, know your employees, know if the mangers are capable! Be transparent in reality not just words.

One of the worst places I ever worked. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. Not a single redeeming factor.

Current Employee - Copy Supervisor in Yardley, PA
    Current Employee - Copy Supervisor in Yardley, PA

I have been working at Harte Hanks full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I had a paycheck. That is all. 20 word minimum? okay, I had a paycheck. I had a paycheck. I had a paycheck. That's what I told myself every day.

Cons

Everything about this job. The people, the expectations, the schedule, the lying, the backstabbing, the crying (yes, this place made people so crazy they cried).

Confused priorities

Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Yardley, PA
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Yardley, PA

I have been working at Harte Hanks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of positions that work 8:30 to 5:00 so not long hours like many other agencies. Nice people who care about others.

Cons

A new managing director was brought in about a year ago and set about firing everyone that could in any way compete with him. Problem is that they are all the people that were running the business. This guy comes from a consulting background and doesn't know how to do basic client service stuff. He has gutted the biggest accounts, half launched a restructure and explained the he just "needs enough runway to fly away to corporate" telling us workers that we should all work really hard and keep bailing the sinking boat until he can get that off the ground. At least he is honest sometimes.

It is not all about you. If you don't take care of the clients we have then there will be no agency. People need to get salary increases when they perform and training to help them get better. Consider cutting down on the lunches you bring in for your executive meetings and pay for some training.

Watch your back

Former Employee - Recruitment Specialist in Yardley, PA
    Former Employee - Recruitment Specialist in Yardley, PA

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers - everyone's there to do a job, and they work together to get the work done.

Cons

Have to always watch what you say, because some employees will throw you under the bus to protect themselves.

Lack of investment in employees

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Yardley, PA
    Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Yardley, PA

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Positive atmosphere
    - Big name clients

Cons

- Lack of compensation incentives
    - Little to no training

There is a reason why turnover is so high....

Great place to grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yardley, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yardley, PA

I have been working at Harte Hanks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The expectation is excellence, and when you achieve it with the great people around yhou here, the feeling is amazing.

Cons

The management team if the 2000s left the company pretty much gutted of senior management talent and under-invested in improving our capabilities. That is all changing now.

Listen to your mid-level people much, much more. You don't know how some of your work even gets done.

Marketing Intern

Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Yardley, PA
    Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Yardley, PA

I worked at Harte Hanks as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Worked closely with my supervisor, who provided coaching and help whenever I needed it. Had the opportunity to work on different projects related to different industries and required a variety of skills. Was able to take on projects that were relevant to my interests. The position provided great exposure to the marketing industry.

Cons

There weren't many cons for me in my experience as an intern. One would be location, especially for younger people who want to be near a big city -- this was about an hour outside of Philadelphia.