Hartford Life Insurance

Updated October 21, 2014
3.4

Hartford Life Insurance Chairman, President & CEO Liam E. McGee
Liam E. McGee

Excellent development. Passion to win. Excellent turnaround from crisis. At The Hartford people are their to help you.

Current Employee - Operations in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Operations in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Hartford Life Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Culture, team players, leaders who listened. People are their to help. Everyone seems to be a team player and have a strong spirit. I was able to make tons of connections from all the employee resource groups, lunch and learns, and community of practice events.

Cons

Typical slow turn around on things in corporate. Getting things done can take so much by in when really you should just be able to run with it. Lots of people are worked way over capacity and "multi task" and try to do so many things at once. Really, they are task switching and it isn't effective.

Some things are to formalized and get in the way of immediate action.

It was great helping our customers but the consistently over-heavy work load made a very satisfying job too stressful.

Former Employee - Claims Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Claims Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Hartford Life Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good compensation package and good ppl to work with

Cons

unreasonable work loads...but don't let the customer service slip! but they tell you they are over model so you would look incompetent to say you are struggling. I know people who start working at ridiculous hours and work to ridiculous hours afraid to say anything. Have experienced myself and saw all over.

I know the nature of claims can be crazy and unknown with highs and lows but recognizing your employees are overworked and staffing so this is not the case on a regular basis you will not lose so many people. they will be much happier not having to consistently work more then their 40 hours and customer service, morale -everything would be much better!

Constant Change

Current Employee - Manager in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Manager in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Hartford Life Insurance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Insurance brand is well known and respected, work-life balance and benefits are generous, leadership tries to do the right things

Cons

Salary competitiveness, company's financial struggles have led to needed but difficult and constant change in the non-P&C lines

Made lasting connections

I worked at Hartford Life Insurance

Pros

There were some great people there,the trainer and training were excellent and worthwhile

Cons

Alot of top management didn't respect the employees,many challenges for growth,went in thinking and being told one thing and ended up becoming something I never would have applied to do

Respect your employees they help you succeed

No trust between Business and IT in Corporate domain, hard to do anything new

Former Employee - Architect/Programmer in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Architect/Programmer in Hartford, CT

I worked at Hartford Life Insurance as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Reasonable pace and timelines, decent work conditions -health clubs, cafe on premises, semi-private cubicles for less flu and more concentration
    Mostly friendly attitude toward co-workers..however contractors are discharged overnight without warnings

Cons

All software processes ( dev, qa, maint, services) are outsources to multiple vendors that take all know-how with them when they leave. IT-Business relationships are brittle, neither trust each other.
    Corp Architecture and IT have no clue of sound software practices or incentives to follow them
    Company policies are not friendly to contractors

Pay attention to your own IT skills, this is where other companies get a lot of their ROI from if grown with TLC

Under staffed and overworked

Current Employee - Licensed Sales Agent in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Licensed Sales Agent in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Hartford Life Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, benefits and time off. Great learning experience

Cons

Company is extremely under staffed, which makes it hard to use your time off. I'm unable to schedule time through the end of the year, with the exception of a day here and there usually in the middle of the week. Limited growth potential in my area

Hire more, fire less

Micro Managed, not much room for growth

Former Employee - Customer Contact Analyst in Maitland, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Contact Analyst in Maitland, FL

I worked at Hartford Life Insurance part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation and Benefits and the time off given

Cons

Call Center nature of job, being micromanaged, could not even get up to go to the bathroom without being disciplined for not being on the phone all the time. All that matters is that your stats and production meets their standards. Forget customer service, just meet the stats.

Listen to your employees rather than ask how we feel about working for the company and then disregard everything we say on the surveys.

Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Memphis, TN

I worked at Hartford Life Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent opportunity to do some really interesting things with life insurance. Great brand recognition and great corporate relationships can get you in the door when many others cannot

Cons

If your manager is a tyrant, it can make your life difficult.
    My manager, literally, embarrassed me in front of a broker on purpose to make a joke and then blamed me for not making the sale.

Manage your managers. If they are Machiavellian tyrants who love to belittle people, the model will not work. A brokerage firm would be better served to have an internal wholesaler representing all companies if Hartford cannot provide the support that they advertise.

Good Company, OK Management

Current Employee - Inside Claims Representative in Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Inside Claims Representative in Aurora, IL

I have been working at Hartford Life Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to start
    Young
    Definitely heading in a positive direction
    Liam McGee is excellent

Cons

Long hours
    Extremely high turnover rate
    Hierarchy is a way of life
    Nobody is happy below a Manager role

We can hear you laugh all day. All day.

Great learning opportunity

I worked at Hartford Life Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very intense training,challenging work,there is growth if you are a sales maniac and love competing with peers

Cons

Disheartening if you intention isn't sales

Be forthright with your job descriptions, be kind when giving feed back,

Hartford Life Insurance Photos