Hartz Mountain

Updated Jul 12, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Bob Shipley

good

Boiler Operator Maintenance (Former Employee) Jersey City, NJ

Prosgood place to work for last 25 years

Consthey closed the company in 12/2013

Worst Company I ever worked for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe benefits were the only thing good about this company.

ConsConstant back stabbing. Revolving door of employees. Management has changed 3 times in the last 2 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the people in operations and replace with all new people.

Managers are disjointed

Production Manager (Current Employee)

ProsNo weekend work. Most of the time production schedule remains consistent.
    Do not like contaminated product.

ConsEveryone is scared for their jobs because of lack of real vision.
    Most leaders are going through the motions and pretending to participate in long-term goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementThrow yourselves on your swords move on.

Use real Japanese leadership techniques!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not so great anymore

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Secaucus, NJ

ProsI was lucky enough to have a good boss. Was able to bring my pet to work! Quick days due to constantly being busy. You can get lucky working for certain departments and just fly by while other departments are completely unhappy and overworked.

ConsCompany has very high turnover which is quite demoralizing. Pay is low for people moving within the company. No perks.

Upper management is horrible and many of them were only brought in during a time when a certain CEO was there. They are the ones that need to be let go and get “refreshed”. Some of the mangers working under them are more intelligent have better ideas and are better at managing teams than they are. On the other hand, there are other managers who have absolutely no idea what they are doing.

In the past 3 years working there I had numerous new bosses and the company had more than 3 CEO's. Recently new owners are slightly difficult to deal with in a more cultural way. They should really do research before bringing their products directly here. Some products are great but others need more research.

HR is too old and comfortable. Get some new people in there who actually can do their job. They do absolutely nothing but get paid to sit at their desks.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people and do your research. Reward employees who work hard. There are still some very good ones left there. Treat them well before they leave too.

Lacks the qualities that would make it a good company to work for

(Former Employee)

ProsYou get to take your dog to work with you. The marketing and design people were very nice and helpful.

ConsNo proper training, poor management, large turnover of employees. Upper management constantly pointing fingers. Behind the times in policies, procedures and systems. Constant long work hours into the night. Poor communication, upper management does not listen to the employees. Very much a dictatorship. Does many things backwards from the rest of the world.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpgrade the systems, listen to your people, hire the proper people for the departments.

Awful

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou can bring in your pet. That was a nice boon to the workplace.

ConsComplete lack of communication. They did not make me feel welcome at all. There was no training and complete lack of care for the quality of the product. Management would bounce from being completely absent to micromanaging within the same day.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about the quality of the product.

Uncertain future

Senior Designer (Former Employee) Secaucus, NJ

ProsMarketing and creative teams are nice people and easy to work with. Good variety of projects kept things interesting.

ConsSmall creative team left little room for growth. Power struggles at owner / senior management level filtered down into miss-management an wasted time and resources on projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust the talent you have in you marketing and creative teams to do what they do best.

tough place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prospeople genuinely care about pets and how hartz products work for pet owners. a place where great things could happen.

Conspoor environment that does not support collaborative work. very top down autocratic style of management.

Advice to Senior Managementlisten. reinvent. adapt

Somewhat of a tough place to work.

Planner (Current Employee) Secaucus, NJ

ProsAs long as there are no issues, it is a good place to work. Small company atmosphere.

ConsA lot of finger pointing when there is blame to pass around. There are a lot of communication breakdowns. High employee turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage a more stable culture. No job security

Poured my heart out.. got nothing in return

Laborer, Machine Operator (Former Employee) Pleasant Plain, OH

Prosknowing what to expect every day, sometimes a fun work environment

ConsThe company will never hire anyone on, they promise to hire them but keep them as temps because they know they have an unlimited stream of unemployed people waiting to be a temp for $8 an hour. I was a line leader and i was a temp, in charge of hartz regular employees that made double what i made, yet i was their line leader. the job was supposed to be 90 days till hire but i was there for over a year and i seen no sign of being hired on.. it doesnt matter how good of an employee that you are, you will not get hired on. The management lies to the higher ups about the status of the factory, and they scapegoat everyday temps to cover up their incompetence. there are people there that get paid 70 k a year that do NOTHING while someone who makes 8$ an hour runs the whole floor.

Advice to Senior Managementfire all the regulars and start fresh

Worked for Hartz Mountain? Contribute to the Community!