Harvard Business School

CEO

Great experience!

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Harvard Business School full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Pros: The people!!!! I've never had such friendly, trustworthy, hard working, thoughtful, kind and generous coworkers. Everyone in this department works hard as a team. It is so fun to work with such positive people. The people really make this job my favorite so far.

Cons

Cons: Salary- we don't get paid as much as we should but that's what you get for working in a university. We work so hard compared to other departments at Harvard as a whole, and although coordinators get overtime for anything outside of a 35 hour week, it just doesn't cut it. The base salary is not good but again, if you're looking for a fun work environment and don't care as much about the dollar signs, come work here. There's not much room to move up in the department as there are only a few manager positions and even fewer opportunities to apply as once managers get there, they don't leave.

Faculty Assistant Position

Current Employee - Faculty Assistant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Faculty Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Harvard Business School full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible, good work like balance, responsive management, very good benefits.

Cons

Not much potential for growth

An interesting job

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Harvard Business School full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working with some of the best minds in business, meeting high ranking business professionals, good work-life balance

Cons

The promotion opportunities exist, but the process is slow. The salaries are relatively low as compared to other opportunities in the private sector.

Very professional, excellent benefits, super team.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Harvard Business School part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very professional, excellent benefits, dedicated people, good training, admin + students + alums are exceptional people, challenging work, ongoing learning, good balance (tied to academic calendar), limited travel and commute. The information systems are good.

Cons

There are many programs and initiatives so you have to be comfortable with "just in time" training and dealing with feedback "in flight." Working in academia is not a "get rich quick" scheme; salary is good but not excellent.

Program for Research in Markets and Organizations (PRIMO)

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Harvard Business School as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- You get free food at HBS (lunch and breakfast) and dinner at Dudley house. (the food at HBS is fantastic).
    - We got excel training for about 2 weeks which was super helpful
    - Twice a week we met with graduate students and professors to hear about t their experiences.
    - A GREAT way to learn about HBS and research in business
    - Primo students were Fantastic... so smart, driven and diverse.

Cons

Everyone's experience is determined by the professor you work with. If you have a professor who does not care as much, or if you are working with graduate students who do not really realize the point and value of Primo, then you might spend the summer just doing boring, pointless work. Advice: KNOW your professor, skype or meet with them, ask about which graduate students you'll work with and what kind of work YOU will be doing...

Posh workaholics

Former Employee - Research Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Harvard Business School full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Intellectually stimulating
    Good pay
    Good benefits
    Relatively good community, they have a variety of events to foster this

Cons

To thrive in this atmosphere, you need to be OK working on your own with little or no human interaction. You also need to be willing to be glued to your work 24/7. That's the culture

It would be nice if there was more assistance with career planning. The research associate position is pretty much a dead end road for the 99.9% that don't become B-school profs.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Faculty Assistant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Faculty Assistant in Boston, MA

I worked at Harvard Business School full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are phenomenal, great work environment, opportunities for growth and education are readily available to all employees, departments communicate well with one another too

Cons

Little if any cons! Construction on campus can be annoying at times, but that's part of change and is temporary. It's also unfortunate that employees have to pay for parking.

Keep up the good work! Continue to allow employees the opportunity to advance within hbs and grow from personal enrichment. Great communication from higher ups regarding changes throughout the school and within departments help keep morale boosted.

Well-managed school, great work environment

Former Employee - Research Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Harvard Business School full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wonderful benefits; sane, reasonable bosses; excellent work environment; access to the Harvard Libraries; beautiful campus; excellent management from top to bottom. I was always treated with respect. I never felt intimidated or fearful. Meetings were kept to a minimum. The professors tended to be nice, competent, and respectful. The health benefits at Harvard are excellent. I would work there again, without a doubt. There were also plenty of opportunities for professional advancement and education. Taking classes at the Harvard Extension School was very easy: I believe each class cost about $40! That's a discount of several thousand dollars. Take advantage of that amazing perk when you are there!

Cons

The pay is slightly lower than other industry jobs, but that's okay. Having Harvard on your CV can do a lot for you.

Amazing opportunity to see the best in action

I worked at Harvard Business School as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

The mission is clear and well communicated. Great benefits.

Cons

Career growth can be limited because there are so many lifers in place at HBS.

Contractors who never become full time

I worked at Harvard Business School as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

- The environment is really great, everyone is really positive and friendly.

Cons

- The office keeps losing its staff because they don't make people full timers, it's insane that there are people here who have been contracted for 2+ years. No benefits. It's not fair and you're going to continue to lose good people if you don't do something about this.

HIRE THE CONTRACTORS WHO WORK HARD! It's crazy that so many contractors exist on this campus.. I'd venture to say it's illegal?

Harvard Business School Photos