Harvard University

Harvard University Reviews in Cambridge, MA

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Harvard University President Drew Gilpin Faust

Drew Gilpin Faust

Pros
  • For administrative positions, the work/life balance is decent because staff are unionized (in 44 reviews)

• Lots of freedom, interesting work, great benefits, unbelievable resources (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • bad work/life balance, low pay, minimal training unless actively sought out (in 14 reviews)

• low pay, ceiling/plateau for researchers, no clear path for researches in public health, isolating environment (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights
211 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The best place for doing research

Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsExcellent faculty team and students; lots of oppotunies to interact with top scholars in the field. The environment is absolutely inspiring

Conslow paid salary for postdocs or those not on tenure-track

Advice to Senior Managementmore perks and benefits to postdocs

Mixed - day to day experience often a function of immediate work group which can change a lot

Project Manager (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsInteresting people, vibrant setting, anything is possible

ConsIt really depends on the immediate working group - some are incredible, some less so. While anything is possible, getting things done can be like pulling teeth because it sometimes feels like everyone has to have or wants to have an opinion even when they don't really need to; this can be tiresome. There are sometimes trust issues, 2nd guessing etc....

Student Worker (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsGained experience from working professionals in a very elite environment

ConsDue to the academia of it all, the wages were pretty low... considering the HUGE endowment and all.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Positive experience at Harvard Kennedy School as a researcher

Research Associate (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsRelatively good pay, smart colleagues, opportunity to work with top professors. I was give lots of flexibility to fit work around my studies.

ConsSome duplication of efforts. Limited collaboration happening. I discovered two other departments that were working on similar projects to mine but didn't know about one another's work.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for more ways to connect professors who are working on similar research.

Decent

Staff Assistant (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsGreat location, looks good on a resume, decent pay and benefits. For administrative positions, the work/life balance is decent because staff are unionized.

ConsSometimes you have to work longer than the union 9 to 5 hours to get your work done on a deadline, and you are not compensated for that extra time. Depending on your unit or department, there can be quite a lot of hurdles to get through before your voice can be properly heard, or an issue can be resolved, especially if it involves communicating with another department.

Worked as a research assistant at Harvard School of Public Health after completing my BA.

Research Assistant II (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsVery satisfying work, excellent colleagues, good pay and benefits

ConsDepending on the nature of the work you get assigned to, it can get very lonely (for example, if all you do is literature reviews).

Fantastic!

Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsYou meet the most intellectual groups of people in the world. You may work on serious projects with industry.

ConsToo many snobs. Takes too much time to publish papers, usually starting publishing only after first year for most disciplines.

Teaching Fellow

Teaching Fellow (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsThe jobs are very Well Paid

ConsThe jobs are very cahllenging

I had an opportunity to work with very smart people.

Research Associate (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

Prosgood facilities, smart people, nice campus

Conshard to balance life and work
    tough and competitive

Advice to Senior Managementno advice

Great place to work, but lots of bureaucracy

Research Associate (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsThere are lots of reasons to love working at Harvard: wonderful hours (9-5PM on the staff side), intellectually stimulating work, brilliant people, lots of resources, Thanksgiving/Christmas vacations free, pay is good.

ConsThere can be a lot of bureaucracy depending on which department you work in. There is very little opportunity for more than a standard 2% raise or a bonus unless you are near the top of the department, so you should definitely negotiate high when you come in. While I think there may be opportunities to bounce around to different jobs at the school, I have personally seen few people advance from within in my department.

Advice to Senior Management1.) Create a promotion friendly environment within departments
    2.) Reward hard work with raises or bonuses

Worked for Harvard University? Contribute to the Community!