Harvard University

Harvard University Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2014

Harvard University President Drew Gilpin Faust

Drew Gilpin Faust

Pros:
  • "25 gym membership), work life balance and higher salaries than most universities"
    in 42 reviews
  • "Lots of freedom, interesting work, great benefits, unbelievable resources"
    in 48 reviews
Cons:
  • "bad work/life balance, low pay, minimal training unless actively sought out"
    in 14 reviews
  • "low pay, ceiling/plateau for researchers, no clear path for researches in public health, isolating environment"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Tough culture for one of the finest higher ed institutions

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorking with my clients and colleagues was a very enjoyable experience, most of the time. There are definitely people here who like to throw around titles to get what they want, but I would say in the entry level and mid-management positions the people are great.

ConsThe leadership at the Law School supports a culture in which managers are right regardless of the situation. This makes it difficult for those of us who are great at what we do, but have a manager who is in the leadership position because of time served, but not necessarily ability to manage and lead. My manager seems to be a good person, but is a terrible manager. He does not listen to others when he does not agree with them, he is afraid to make tough decisions, and he plays favorites. From what I hear from my colleagues, in other departments, they have managers who are the same, but even when going to HR for support, you are basically told to deal with it.

In addition to the above, there are plenty of people who are just not good at their jobs, but they have been here forever and no one makes them do what they need to so they can have the necessary skills to carry out their roles. People like this are protected, while high-performers are forced to pick up the slack until they eventually tire of doing everyone else's job and leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have alot of very talented people at the Law School, but your inability to hold managers accountable for leadership development for themselves and staff development for their employees will drive all of the good people away. There does not have to be an "us versus them", but senior leadership has allowed the culture to become this way because you allow managers to take on roles they are not fully prepared to embrace.

Politics....

ProsIt looks greats on a resume. The benefits are great. You work with some wonderful colleagues.

ConsManagement do not listen to their talent - only management. It is very unfortunate.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your talent and people with core competencies. Stop hiring contractors just because you have the money to do so.

Mixed feelings. Overall, OK experience.

ProsStimulating environment. Intelligent and inspiring colleagues. Good benefits. Good resources.

ConsPoor salary. Very long hours. Internal competition. Poor management.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's academia so people tend to live in their own heads to perhaps greater extent than elsewhere.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Salary

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

ProsHelp you get excellent work experience

ConsLow salary may lead to slow down personal development considerably

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up with good work

Research Associate - HBS

Research Associate (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsLots of freedom, interesting work, great benefits, unbelievable resources.

ConsExperience highly dependent on the professor for whom you work. It's a career pause.

Summer job; fine but nice place to work

Intern (Former Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

ProsIt's a really, really nice place to work with a lot of very interesting place.

ConsPersonal experience -- I was just doing a summer job, so not all the work was particularly glorious. To be expected, however.

Great times and Interesting times

Assistant Director (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsBenefits are great. You can meet a lot of nice people and learn things.

ConsSome managers are good some aren't. there is lack of communication with staff.

Great work environment

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

ProsOpportunity to work with the world class faculty, culturally stimulating environment, opportunity to work with the brightest minds. Best resources are available for doing research. Mission-driven.

ConsPay is okay, but not sufficient to afford a living too close to the school. Could improve on the health services/ insurance coverage, the Holyoke clinic is pretty much useless.

Excellent location and great research

ProsGood sources of funding, very competitive environment but fun! In addition, Cambridge is a good location to communicate with other schools/disciplines.

ConsHard work is expected and sometimes late nights in lab as well. However, none of those are really con's, they are challenges that make you perform your best.

PhD candidate

ProsIt's awesome to work with smart people who are nice and diligent. There're also many resources and opportunities if we have time.

ConsIt really depends on who you work with. Culture and policies vary a lot among workplaces and laboratories. Advisors can be very hands-off or very micro-controlling.Always be extremely careful when you do rotations and choose a lab.

Worked for Harvard University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Harvard University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Harvard University CEO Drew Gilpin Faust. All 461 reviews posted anonymously by Harvard University employees.