Harvard University

Harvard University Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Harvard University President Drew Gilpin Faust

Drew Gilpin Faust

Pros
  • For administrative positions, the work/life balance is decent because staff are unionized(in 43 reviews)

• Lots of freedom, interesting work, great benefits, unbelievable resources(in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • bad work/life balance, low pay, minimal training unless actively sought out(in 14 reviews)

• low pay, ceiling/plateau for researchers, no clear path for researches in public health, isolating environment(in 13 reviews)

Summer job; fine but nice place to work

Intern (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsIt's a really, really nice place to work with a lot of very interesting place.

ConsPersonal experience -- I was just doing a summer job, so not all the work was particularly glorious. To be expected, however.

Great times and Interesting times

Assistant Director (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsBenefits are great. You can meet a lot of nice people and learn things.

ConsSome managers are good some aren't. there is lack of communication with staff.

Great work environment

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsOpportunity to work with the world class faculty, culturally stimulating environment, opportunity to work with the brightest minds. Best resources are available for doing research. Mission-driven.

ConsPay is okay, but not sufficient to afford a living too close to the school. Could improve on the health services/ insurance coverage, the Holyoke clinic is pretty much useless.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent location and great research

ProsGood sources of funding, very competitive environment but fun! In addition, Cambridge is a good location to communicate with other schools/disciplines.

ConsHard work is expected and sometimes late nights in lab as well. However, none of those are really con's, they are challenges that make you perform your best.

Politics....

ProsIt looks greats on a resume. The benefits are great. You work with some wonderful colleagues.

ConsManagement do not listen to their talent - only management. It is very unfortunate.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your talent and people with core competencies. Stop hiring contractors just because you have the money to do so.

I am a graduate student at Harvard University.

Graduate Student (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsHarvard is prestigious and well-known. On the other hand, their programs are large and impersonal. The research is great, of course.

ConsThe advising is not great, impersonal. Not investing enough in training students - you really are a cog in a giant machine as a graduate student in the sciences at Harvard.

Conflicting priorities

Research Officer (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsExcellent benefits, independence. The exact situation may depend on your local environment and people. It may be excellent or not.

ConsOffice politics, management layers may not conducive to producing results, since they are possibly working with divergent goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage people with hands-on the job to work with each other to solve problems.

PhD candidate

ProsIt's awesome to work with smart people who are nice and diligent. There're also many resources and opportunities if we have time.

ConsIt really depends on who you work with. Culture and policies vary a lot among workplaces and laboratories. Advisors can be very hands-off or very micro-controlling.Always be extremely careful when you do rotations and choose a lab.

Benefits, benefits, benefits

ProsHarvard University's benefits are unparalleled. Full access to their facilities--including their libraries, gyms, and museums--makes any employee feel like a part of the academic experience, like a golden ticket has been handed to you. Growth (particularly academic growth) is encouraged, and many partake in their generous tuition remission program, which covers both Harvard courses AND non-Harvard courses. If you're looking to add a master's or professional certificate to your repertoire, there's no better place to be. Colleagues are intelligent, supportive, and motivated.

ConsGiven their emphasis on achievement and higher learning, it may be difficult to advance (into some roles) without a master's degree.

Harvard is an excellent place to work

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

Pros- top-notch benefits
     - smart management
     - good facilities
     - competitive compensation
     - get to work with some of the very best people
     - probably a good thing to have on your resume going forward

Cons- institutional inertia and red tape
     - a small number of students are inappropriately demanding
     - perhaps too much bureaucratization risks losing sight of academic mission

Advice to Senior ManagementDon’t forget your first priorities is education.

Worked for Harvard University? Contribute to the Community!