Harvard University

Harvard University Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Harvard University President Drew Gilpin Faust

Drew Gilpin Faust

Pros
  • For administrative positions, the work/life balance is decent because staff are unionized(in 44 reviews)

• Lots of freedom, interesting work, great benefits, unbelievable resources(in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • bad work/life balance, low pay, minimal training unless actively sought out(in 14 reviews)

• low pay, ceiling/plateau for researchers, no clear path for researches in public health, isolating environment(in 13 reviews)

Great place to work

Web Developer (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGenerous benefits, interesting projects. It is important that you can work on the project independently from start to finish. I like the ability to take classes for free or very cheap. It provides opportunity to advance in your profession. Environment is great, people are friendly, educated. I also like the fact that I have a chance to interact with people who came from different parts of the world.

ConsSalaries may not be as high as in some commercial companies, but I consider this a trade-off for the less stressful environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job.

Tour Guide for Information Center: Loved Every Minute

Tour Guide, Info Center Staff (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

Pros-Outstanding and fun people to work with.
    -Interaction with hundreds of tourists
    -Giving tours was always fun.

ConsThere are no real cons. Sometimes the Information Center would become very busy, but that was an interesting challenge

A pretty cool place to be!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsAlways something interesting going on, and lots of training opportunities.

ConsNo educational benefits for dependents; some financial risk with term positions

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An excellent University to conduct research

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsBeautiful campus, endless resources available

ConsWork-life balance, obtaining additional funding opportunities can be challenging

Could offer better training

Upper Level Mathematics Course Assistant (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsAs an undergraduate, there are a lot of nice course options to be an assistant for. It's a great way to make contacts within a department and learn more about the subject matter. Largely, the pay is pretty good and the department is professional and cordial.

ConsCourse Assistants receive very little training, and no training in teaching methods at all. The training consists primarily of policies (for example, don't have sexual relations with students) and general suggestions (for example, return problem sets in a timely manner). I wish there were more explicit trainings for CAs- I think it would better serve both the CAs and the students they teach.

Best Job for Harvard Undergraduates

Barista (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsHighly flexible hours, great pay, free food / coffee, and an amazing community.

ConsNo downsides, except you may spend all of your time in the café.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing!

Undergraduate Research Assistant, department of ethics

Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsGood research assistant skills gained, e.g. looking through literature, statistical findings in literature, contribute to the design of the research method
    Not a lot of heavy work,
    Variable hours, as we work from home and we log hours in website, so time is flexible with corresponding amount of class work
    Good guidance from professors
    Interesting research topics

ConsNot a lot of independence, as being an undergraduate a lot of the tasks are delegated rather than chosen my the research assistant
    Work can be mundane when a lot is done
    Work can be repetitive

Alright, wish we had more benefits

ProsGreat, smart people to work with. Very helpful.

ConsSome drama and everyone knows about it.

Good educational facility

Research Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsGreat work life balance, great dynamic between peers.

ConsSometimes work pace is too slow.

Great environment and fantastic benefits

Research Associate (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsHarvard University have a wide array of great benefits such as retirement plan and subsidized education at several Harvard coursed. In most of cases you either pay around 60.00 for tuition or 10% of course. Also, Harvard offer a very good health plan and some money that you can use towards gym membership in addition to a steeped subsidized gym at Harvard campus.

ConsThe major con at Harvard is the bureaucracy.

Worked for Harvard University? Contribute to the Community!