Harvard University

Updated March 5, 2015
4.1

Harvard University President Drew Gilpin Faust
Drew Gilpin Faust

Pros
  • For administrative positions, the work/life balance is decent because staff are unionized (in 47 reviews)

• Lots of freedom, interesting work, great benefits, unbelievable resources (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • bad work/life balance, low pay, minimal training unless actively sought out (in 18 reviews)

• low pay, ceiling/plateau for researchers, no clear path for researches in public health, isolating environment (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing experience

Former Employee - Producer in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Producer in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Harvard University part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Student jobs are great, compensation is great, get to work with the management and people much higher up than you right from the beginning

Cons

Working while a student is difficult because of time management. Beyond that, I have no complaints and everything is awesome

It's a big place and it can be very different depending on where you in it.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Harvard University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, lots of potential for lateral movement.

Cons

Not much upward growth potential. I am sure this depends on your job track, but raises are generally capped, and at least for me, there isn't a way to become more senior to improve salary.

Harvard treats its employees well.

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Harvard University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to engage with leaders in their field.

Cons

Does not pay particularly well.

Experience will vary based on department and supervisor, but mine exhibited good funding and intellectual autonomy

I have been working at Harvard University

Pros

The funding of my department was very generous. Again, there is a lot of variability in funding levels, but, for the most part, on average, Harvard is one of the best-funded institutions out there.

Status-wise, Harvard is at the top. This, practically speaking, can be useful for one's resume and can open up job opportunities just by the nature of how evaluators use heuristics to make quicker judgments (e.g., "Harvard? Oh, cool. Moved higher up the pile"), for better or worse. For better, I guess, if you're on the benefitting end of the heuristic.

Intellectual autonomy is also a key positive of working at Harvard. There is little oversight, and there is a lot of freedom to research what one wants to research. And if you are the sort of person who is intellectually curious, you may benefit from this autonomy.

Cons

The flip-side of autonomy is that there may not be much guidance. That is, one's supervisor/ adviser can be hard to reach at times or provide somewhat abstract "advice" rather than clear guidance. This can be a con if you are the kind of person who really prefers to be relatively closely instructed, but it is a pro if you are extremely "entrepreneurial", which is the culturally favored word to describe the kind of person who tends to succeed in the context of limited-guidance.

Well, what can I say? Realistically speaking, Drew Faust or other top management can do little to improve the particular con of lack of guidance. Sure, they could exhort that supervisors meet with their direct reports individually to discuss and agree upon the optimal balance of structure and autonomy for a given dyadic relationship, but, frankly, I don't think that's going to do much. I guess it could be worth a try.

Graphic Designer, Multimedia designer

Former Employee - Graphic Designer, Multimedia Designer in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer, Multimedia Designer in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Harvard University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits for Harvard employees include medical benefits, tuition assistance, access to academic resources, athletic facilities, generous vacation, and retirement contributions.

Cons

The leadership skill can vary from department to department.

Great Institution for research

I have been working at Harvard University

Pros

Supervisions provide good mentoring and all involved are brilliant. Everyone is so interesting and is doing incredible research. There was a lot of research funding in my department, which made work significantly less worrysome

Cons

In bigger labs, there is less direct communication between members

Great place to work

Current Employee - Staff Assistant in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Staff Assistant in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Harvard University

Pros

The best environment possible. The people are amazing and helpful to work with, they take care of you, teach you and help you grow.

Cons

Learning curve can be hard at first.

Fantastic experience! Lots of fun experiments!

I have been working at Harvard University

Pros

Sky is the limit! Great people to work with!

Cons

Little money is given to post docs!

It would be great to give more financial support to the people with lots of love in their hearts to science and research!

Work with amazing, ambitious people in an under-organized environment

Former Contractor - Instructor in Cambridge, MA
    Former Contractor - Instructor in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Harvard University as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've never worked with such talented, hard-working, and ambitious people. That's by far the biggest benefit and it's impossible to overstate the impact that this can have on your own expectations and opportunities.

Cons

It depends on where you work, but my experience was that some departments can be poorly organized. Faculty are divas and not always present.

Keep up the good work. Hire faculty who care about others and not only their own careers.

Overall a positive experience

I have been working at Harvard University

Pros

Harvard University attracts the best and the brightest. As a result, working at Harvard can be both challenging and rewarding. Harvard certainly motivates you to reach your full potential.

Cons

Harvard University is a meritocracy. That is, you're recognized by your academic credentials and contributions. Some may see this as a con and I would tend to agree that this philosophy comes with certain trade-offs e.g., occasionally excluding more qualified individuals.

I would create more open floor plans, especially in the software development communities. I believe that the artificial barriers imposed by offices and cubicles impedes productivity.

Harvard University Photos