Harvard University Reviews

606 reviews filtered by
4.1
Harvard University President Drew Gilpin Faust
Drew Gilpin Faust

Pros
  • For administrative positions, the work/life balance is decent because staff are unionized (in 47 reviews)

• Lots of freedom, interesting work, great benefits, unbelievable resources (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • bad work/life balance, low pay, minimal training unless actively sought out (in 18 reviews)

• low pay, ceiling/plateau for researchers, no clear path for researches in public health, isolating environment (in 15 reviews)

1. Positive Grad Student Experience

I have been working at Harvard University full-time

Pros

All students have the same stipend, so there is no competition. Professors and fellow students are brilliant and helpful.

Cons

You have to carve your own path for the most part. Professors are willing to give you their time, but you have to ask for it and often have to wait for a while. No one will be holding your hand along the way.

Advice to Management

I like the peer mentors system and being assigned an adviser as an incoming first year grad student. More support could be given during the dissertation stage.

2. Visiting Scholar

Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Miami, FL

I worked at Harvard University part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Enormous research facilities, time to use the libraries, peer contact

Cons

Little time for balance between professional and personal life

Advice to Management

Improve internet communications

3. Accounts Payable Analyst

Current Contractor - Accounts Payable Data Entry Clerk in Cambridge, MA
    Current Contractor - Accounts Payable Data Entry Clerk in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Harvard University as a contractor

Pros

Great environment, great people, workload feasible. Very patient and Understanding!

Cons

policies about hiring contract employees is very stringent. They should allow Department heads to Hire Candidates qualified or at least introduce them to the union department to fill any position available.

Advice to Management

Create Opportunity for temps to be in the union

5. Research Fellow

Former Employee - Research Fellow in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Research Fellow in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Harvard University full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic resources, outstanding libraries. An atmosphere that prides itself on supporting fellows to produces gold-standard research. You are surrounded my passionate and interesting people and there are so many fantastic lectures and events to attend.

Cons

I really struggles to think of anything. This might be the best place to undertake research, it is fully equip to deal with any research need.

Advice to Management

Continue to do what you do. I can only thank you for my wonderful experience and hope that others will be given the same opportunities.

6. Admissions

I have been working at Harvard University full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Admissions - Busy position, but ample room for growth

Cons

Admissions - Lots of hours and high expectations

Advice to Management

Admissions

7. great benefits, great location

I worked at Harvard University part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Interesting work, great place to be, lots of access to various activities, casual dress code, flexible working hours. Lots of history.

Cons

Entitled students, prestige is considered a part of the paycheck, faculty divas, many positions have soft (temporary) funding, institution panics when the market goes down even though their wealth is boggling to the ordinary mortal.

8. Ph.D. Candidate

I have been working at Harvard University full-time

Pros

Excellent institutional reputation; strong academics in just about every field available; good life sciences research base, with well-known and well-respected faculty; strong placement of former students and research employees in future positions.

Cons

Overwork and frequently unreasonable expectations; very high pressure to publish in high-impact journals for faculty; poor tenure-track promotion system that seems to pay more regard to university politics than to research or teaching performance of the faculty member in question.

Advice to Management

Improve young faculty recruitment systems by cleaning up the tenure promotion system. Provide more fair evaluation of faculty based upon their publication and teaching records, and less based on non-professionally-relevant characteristics of the individuals. I've seen multiple incredibly talented faculty turned away in favor of others who are worse teachers and researchers. At least in the life sciences, this leads to poor faculty and student culture and will make it harder to recruit talented faculty and students due to the overall weaker research and teaching programs.

9. I love working for Harvard. Great environment, great people, great opportunities to learn what interests you

Current Employee - Lab Manager
    Current Employee - Lab Manager

I have been working at Harvard University full-time

Pros

Great work environment. Diversity and culture is very strong. Harvard offers great benefits and an excellent work life balance. The discount on higher education is also a strong plus.

Cons

The salary would probably be better at a private company, but it is worth the exchange for flexibility and the work life balance.

Advice to Management

Please keep up the good work. Management does a great job of listening to the faculty, staff and students to make improvements where needed. The town hall events are great to make this workplace have a strong sense of community.

10. I enjoyed the intellectual atmosphere at Harvard. I was always surrounded by ambitious people.

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Harvard University

Pros

The challenge by being around so many smart people was a huge benefit. It made me always strive to be the best I could.

Cons

Being around so many smart people can also have its drawback. I was often ran to dry because I had to stay on top of my game. But overly it was a pleasant experience.

Advice to Management

There is room to make the atmosphere a little more inviting for students who are not from very wealthy families. The management is currently expending efforts on that and it should be encouraged and continued.

11. One of the best if not the best job I've ever had.

Former Employee - Information Technology in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Harvard University

Pros

People are great. Work is fun.

Cons

Some professors are very rude and think they are better than everyone else.

Advice to Management

Keep praising employee's, they work hard for Harvard.

Harvard University Photos