Harvard University

Harvard University Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Harvard University President Drew Gilpin Faust

Drew Gilpin Faust

Pros
  • For administrative positions, the work/life balance is decent because staff are unionized (in 44 reviews)

• Lots of freedom, interesting work, great benefits, unbelievable resources (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • bad work/life balance, low pay, minimal training unless actively sought out (in 14 reviews)

• low pay, ceiling/plateau for researchers, no clear path for researches in public health, isolating environment (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Bountiful career development resources, powerful community of leaders that create leaders.

Operations Assistant (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsBenefits, work/life balance, sponsored continued education, endless amount of skill building resources and networking events. Great place to seek personal and profession growth. Best part of working at Harvard was having access to the Harvard Center for Workplace Development - a structured mini-school for employees to pick up or brush up on their skills. If there's a skill that you are lacking or need to improve, there's a training course on that. I took a few courses to learn how to work some job specific tools and was able to become fully proficient in just a few sessions. The instructors are very invested in helping you learn and succeed at your job.

ConsCompetitive, can be an isolating sort of environment at times. Not necessarily the best place for someone who does not have a clear idea of how they want to develop their career. With so many resources at your disposal, if you don't have a clear career path in mind, it is easy to get overwhelmed with the options. Some of the schools have a substantially smaller working budget which limits the pool of opportunities; this can be quite frustrating.

A valuable experience where I was able to pick up job training.

Staff Assistant (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsVery professional attitudes when in the work place. I felt as if my performance was noted. If I had stayed on, I feel as if I could have easily transitioned to more roles.

ConsPayroll was not properly integrated, and it took weeks for changes to be made. Luckily I had other sources of income.

The best place for doing research

Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsExcellent faculty team and students; lots of oppotunies to interact with top scholars in the field. The environment is absolutely inspiring

Conslow paid salary for postdocs or those not on tenure-track

Advice to Senior Managementmore perks and benefits to postdocs

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Student Research positions

Research Associate (Student) (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Proswork with the best in the field of Public Health; great exposure; good chances of publications; overall, a great experience

Conslow pay per hour (considering Boston is such a high-cost place)

Advice to Senior Managementplease think of revising student pay rates

I have a great English supercomputing boss.

Research Computing Specialist (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsI have a rugged looking Englishman as a boss. He laughs a lot and uses strange slang from something called 'Blighty'. Adds a great atmosphere around the computing lab.
    He lets me toy around with a lot of hardware putting it in racks. The lights blink a lot and that makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

ConsI believe I've been told I've been going pear-shaped. I thought this was an insult on my hips but I think it has something to do with his slang terms.
    Even though he laughs a lot he looks like firemarshall Bill from In Living Color when he does that.

The UPS system makes funny sounds and sometimes smells like battery acid.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think you should consider cloud computing approaches or maybe something with hadoop.

Mixed - day to day experience often a function of immediate work group which can change a lot

Project Manager (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsInteresting people, vibrant setting, anything is possible

ConsIt really depends on the immediate working group - some are incredible, some less so. While anything is possible, getting things done can be like pulling teeth because it sometimes feels like everyone has to have or wants to have an opinion even when they don't really need to; this can be tiresome. There are sometimes trust issues, 2nd guessing etc....

Student Worker (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsGained experience from working professionals in a very elite environment

ConsDue to the academia of it all, the wages were pretty low... considering the HUGE endowment and all.

Intern at Nanoscale Systems

Center for Nanoscale Systems (Former Employee)

ProsEasy work, good pay. Very relaxed environment. Free food such as pizza and donuts weekly.

ConsSuperiors are catty and confrontational with each other. Superiors all spend time shopping online at work.

Good place to work as long as you do not upset the apple cart

ProsGood work life balance and benefits

ConsCulture does not foster innovation and accountability

Decent

Staff Assistant (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsGreat location, looks good on a resume, decent pay and benefits. For administrative positions, the work/life balance is decent because staff are unionized.

ConsSometimes you have to work longer than the union 9 to 5 hours to get your work done on a deadline, and you are not compensated for that extra time. Depending on your unit or department, there can be quite a lot of hurdles to get through before your voice can be properly heard, or an issue can be resolved, especially if it involves communicating with another department.

Worked for Harvard University? Contribute to the Community!