Harvard University

Updated August 6, 2014

4.0

Harvard University President Drew Gilpin Faust
Drew Gilpin Faust

Pros
  • For administrative positions, the work/life balance is decent because staff are unionized (in 44 reviews)

• Lots of freedom, interesting work, great benefits, unbelievable resources (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • bad work/life balance, low pay, minimal training unless actively sought out (in 14 reviews)

• low pay, ceiling/plateau for researchers, no clear path for researches in public health, isolating environment (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Great School

Current Employee - Student Technician  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Student Technician in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Awesome resources. You can do pretty much anything if you can write a convincing statement why you want to do it.

Cons

Although there are boundless resources, there are also pockets were the offerings are weak or inexistent (such as certain things in the arts)

World-class personnel and resources housed in a profit machine

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Harvard is extremely good at staffing itself with talented, hard-working, supremely competent people who take pride in that they do. The healthcare plan is excellent, as are many "perk"-like benefits that are a bit hidden, but great once you know where they are. (Check out Innings & Outings)

Cons

The university itself can feel a bit like a meat-grinder. Also, make no mistake, if there are pennies that can be wrung from you, Harvard will wring you dry.

Bountiful career development resources, powerful community of leaders that create leaders.

Former Employee - Operations Assistant  in  Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Operations Assistant in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Benefits, work/life balance, sponsored continued education, endless amount of skill building resources and networking events. Great place to seek personal and profession growth. Best part of working at Harvard was having access to the Harvard Center for Workplace Development - a structured mini-school for employees to pick up or brush up on their skills. If there's a skill that you are lacking or need to improve, there's a training course on that. I took a few courses to learn how to work some job specific tools and was able to become fully proficient in just a few sessions. The instructors are very invested in helping you learn and succeed at your job.

Cons

Competitive, can be an isolating sort of environment at times. Not necessarily the best place for someone who does not have a clear idea of how they want to develop their career. With so many resources at your disposal, if you don't have a clear career path in mind, it is easy to get overwhelmed with the options. Some of the schools have a substantially smaller working budget which limits the pool of opportunities; this can be quite frustrating.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A valuable experience where I was able to pick up job training.

Former Employee - Staff Assistant  in  Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Staff Assistant in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Very professional attitudes when in the work place. I felt as if my performance was noted. If I had stayed on, I feel as if I could have easily transitioned to more roles.

Cons

Payroll was not properly integrated, and it took weeks for changes to be made. Luckily I had other sources of income.

Intellectually stimulating environment with many layers of bureaucracy

Current Employee - Executive Assistant
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant

Pros

Harvard provides incredible benefits. A Harvard employee can take a class at Harvard Extension School for only $40! Harvard also has a variety of unions, including HUCTW, that work relentlessly to make sure that staff are treated fairly. Employees have access to limitless libraries and incredible speaking engagements.

Cons

Personal growth is limited, internal candidates are not valued. Employee retention is not their strong point, and many staff are stretched incredibly thin. Layers of bureaucracy and out-dated processes can make simple procedures daunting.

Improve employee retention by providing more management development trainings.

The best place for doing research

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Excellent faculty team and students; lots of oppotunies to interact with top scholars in the field. The environment is absolutely inspiring

Cons

low paid salary for postdocs or those not on tenure-track

more perks and benefits to postdocs

scientist

Pros

top environment for innovations and work with intelligent colleagues.

Cons

poor work life balance, low income, stressful competitation

Intern at Nanoscale Systems

Former Employee - Center for Nanoscale Systems
    Former Employee - Center for Nanoscale Systems

Pros

Easy work, good pay. Very relaxed environment. Free food such as pizza and donuts weekly.

Cons

Superiors are catty and confrontational with each other. Superiors all spend time shopping online at work.

Good place to work as long as you do not upset the apple cart

Pros

Good work life balance and benefits

Cons

Culture does not foster innovation and accountability

I have a great English supercomputing boss.

Current Employee - Research Computing Specialist  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Research Computing Specialist in Boston, MA

Pros

I have a rugged looking Englishman as a boss. He laughs a lot and uses strange slang from something called 'Blighty'. Adds a great atmosphere around the computing lab.
    He lets me toy around with a lot of hardware putting it in racks. The lights blink a lot and that makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Cons

I believe I've been told I've been going pear-shaped. I thought this was an insult on my hips but I think it has something to do with his slang terms.
    Even though he laughs a lot he looks like firemarshall Bill from In Living Color when he does that.

The UPS system makes funny sounds and sometimes smells like battery acid.

I think you should consider cloud computing approaches or maybe something with hadoop.

Worked for Harvard University? Contribute to the Community!