Harvard University

Harvard University Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Harvard University President Drew Gilpin Faust

Drew Gilpin Faust

Pros:
  • "25 gym membership), work life balance and higher salaries than most universities"
    in 42 reviews
  • "Lots of freedom, interesting work, great benefits, unbelievable resources"
    in 48 reviews
Cons:
  • "bad work/life balance, low pay, minimal training unless actively sought out"
    in 14 reviews
  • "low pay, ceiling/plateau for researchers, no clear path for researches in public health, isolating environment"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Positive experience at Harvard Kennedy School as a researcher

Research Associate (Former Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

ProsRelatively good pay, smart colleagues, opportunity to work with top professors. I was give lots of flexibility to fit work around my studies.

ConsSome duplication of efforts. Limited collaboration happening. I discovered two other departments that were working on similar projects to mine but didn't know about one another's work.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for more ways to connect professors who are working on similar research.

Worked as a research assistant at Harvard School of Public Health after completing my BA.

Research Assistant II (Former Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

ProsVery satisfying work, excellent colleagues, good pay and benefits

ConsDepending on the nature of the work you get assigned to, it can get very lonely (for example, if all you do is literature reviews).

Teaching Fellow

Teaching Fellow (Former Employee)

ProsThe jobs are very Well Paid

ConsThe jobs are very cahllenging

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Positive experience

ProsGreat faculty, research opportunities, and peers.

ConsYou are left alone a lot, and professors are extremely busy. Plus, it's hard to save for retirement because you are not officially making income as a PhD student

Advice to Senior ManagementI would encourage management to create systems to help PhDs develop financial security. For instance, allowing them to invest in retirement accounts if they are saving money from their stipends. Additionally, there need to be formal tracks that PhDs can get plugged into - some kind of lab model for the social sciences.

Great place to work. Certainly a stepping stone.

ProsThe people and the benefits.

ConsLow pay for union employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome less decentralized.

Awesome place to work!

Library Assistant (Current Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

ProsGreat people, very flexible and caring!

ConsNot too much growth here!

excellent collaborative environment

ProsThe mentorship and training are invaluable

ConsThe pay is low and it's a very long process to progress through the system. You must be persistent

Great place to build a career!

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

ProsThere are many smart people. Therefore, you can easily help each other.
    It is very competitive environment.
    Culture is flexible in general.

ConsDoes not compensate well as compared to other academia.
    Health benefits do not cover many area, although health care teams are very professional.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to compensate better for their employee.

Harvard has been an excellent place to work.

ProsColleagues and smart and dedicated; work is meaningful; family-work balance is manageable.

ConsAs with any non-profit or educational institution, the salaries are not what they would be in the private sector.

Best job I've ever had

Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

ProsAwesome work-life balance. You get 15-20 vacation days (depending on your status), 3 personal days, holidays, and the week of Christmas through New Years paid time off. I'm a staff assistant/coordinator which means I'm in the HUCTW union. They negotiate our raises, which are automatic and around 3.29% increase per year. You get 12 sick days per year and can use those hours for doctor appointment or to take a dependent to the doctor. You get to take up to 6 classes per year for FREE at the Extension school and Summer School (2 courses a semester). The health benefits are fantastic. I pay next to nothing for my medication and it's easy to get an appointment with a doctor or dentist at the health center on campus. There's also a pharmacy next door. Harvard encourages healthy living, so you get free flu shots and a $150 rebate on health club memberships. Also, management doesn't get on your case if you call in sick. If you are sick, they want you to stay home. The same attitude goes for vacation. I've worked at places that frown on vacations. Not at Harvard. You can take a month off if you have the vacation time and nobody will bat an eye. I could really go on an on about working here. You are apart of a community and there are so many ways to enrich yourself if you can advantage of the opportunities. There's a reason most of my colleagues have worked here for 10-25 years. Like me, they recognize that it doesn't get better than this. We are always surprised when someone does quit (which is rare). The best thing about working here is the people. I have the best co-workers and the best boss. It's a very happy work environment.

ConsI'm sure everyone must say this, but it is weird that Harvard is so decentralized. I can't think of too many cons other than the pay is a little under market. I could make much more working for a biotech in Cambridge, but then again, I wouldn't get the great benefits Harvard offers. The HR department seems a little removed from the rest of the group. Other places I worked, I regularly interacted with HR. They have great people running the HR department, I wish they were a little more visible.

Worked for Harvard University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Harvard University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Harvard University CEO Drew Gilpin Faust. All 462 reviews posted anonymously by Harvard University employees.