Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates

Updated August 8, 2014
Updated August 8, 2014

Gene Lindsey

Great Place To Work

I have been working at Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent employee benefits. High staff satisfaction, with many employees 10+ years. Patient experience is top priority. Dedicated to keeping up with challenging US healthcare changes and staying competitive.

Cons

IT Systems could use some upgrades. Follow through with identified department areas in need of improvement.

Good mission statement, bad upper management.

Former Employee - Supervisory
    Former Employee - Supervisory

I worked at Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits were good. Pay was ok and the time off was acceptable as well. All the major holidays were paid days off.

Cons

Upper management and administrators. HVMA uses promotion from within as a big selling point but doesn't make good on the promise. I was an employee for well over a decade, denied a promotion I was more than qualified for, and my manager could not give me a good reason why. From talking to other employees this is typical.

Stop the revolving door of upper management. No one working on the front lines knows who upper management is or what any of you actually do. It always felt like there were too many of you.

Micromanaged, money driven

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Somerville, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerville, MA

I have been working at Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates for more than a year

Pros

Excellent pay and good benefits

Cons

Poor management. Company is all about making money and less about patient care

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No Redeeming Qualities

Former Employee - Professional  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Professional in Boston, MA

I worked at Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A nurturing environment for the mediocre and puerile.

Cons

Feckless senior management, lickspittle middle management and a venomous HR department deliver an utterly toxic work environment. Petty turf battles, back stabbing and hypocrisy rule the day, every day. I'd rather clean septic tanks than work at HVMA again.

Why would I bother? They are so divorced from reality that, If it penetrated their fog of conceit, they wouldn't care.

Excellent patient care

I have been working at Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Excellent teamwork and management, devotion to improving patient health and education

Cons

Sometimes involves long hours which is to be expected in healthcare

Intensely horrible environment

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Match on the 401K. Nothing else good about working at HVMA.

Cons

Dishonest place to work for, hired for one position, forced into another Given no training for new position. Given tasks that had no hope of accomplishing because they wouldn't train me for the tasks. Then reprimanded because I couldn't complete tasks. Ranks as the most miserable place I have ever worked at in my life. I wouldn't recommend my worst enemy to work at HVMA.

Not going to waste my time giving them advice. They would never take it.

Poor Management, Poor Leadership

I have been working at Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates as a contractor

Pros

Salary, time off for vacations. earned time

Cons

working with alcoholics that have been arrested for drunk driving while employed and HR does nothing. working with medical staff who are on heavy prescription drugs and management knows it and does nothing. management in most areas just looking out for number one and HR turns their back instead of getting rid of dead wood. Run....don't walk away from this company.

Wouldn't matter...they don't care.

Excellent experience for per diem employee

I worked at Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates part-time

Pros

good atmosphere between cohorts, great supervisors

Cons

as is the case everywhere, the productivity squeeze is everpresent, and undermines quality of care. PTs are hardest hit.

be care you don't push your therapists to the point of not being able to provide quality care.

Employees rewarded for increasing and decreasing the "right" numbers, as defined by administration.

I worked at Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates

Pros

Fairly reasonable benefits and pay.

Cons

Administration's use of Toyota Lean techniques to supposedly improve various aspects of patient care, but which actually result in little improvement and which cause employees to be progressively overworked and under-rewarded. Use of "360" job performance reviews, ie, being reviewed by coworkers, which leads to more morale issues. Salaries based on "modified quota" system, in some departments, leading to decrease in pay when patients do not attend appointments. Little support for frontline staff by management.

See "Cons" above. Focus on improving morale of and support for employees, and quality of care will improve as a result. Decrease pay for upper management and increase pay for those at the bottom of the organizational chart. Rethink the medical model.

Toxic work environment, Mean Girls gone wild

Former Employee - Medical Assistant  in  Concord, MA
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Concord, MA

I worked at Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay was decent but not everyone gets paid same rate for same job. Benefits decent if you could afford it.

Cons

I can only speak about the Concord location which is full of bullies and management would be first to write you up for saying the word bully, rather than do something about the bullies, of which run rampant in this location. I have never in my working life worked with a more miserable, unprofessional, gossiping, tragic bunch of individuals that do nothing but whisper and complain about their jobs, managers and each other daily while stabbing their co workers in the back that don't jump on board with their misery. Sexual harassment, bogus investigations by a mediocre HR Dept that wouldn't be able to find their ass from a hole in their head. Name of the game is to protect lousy supervisors that bully their staff rather than help the victims of abuse. Most of all, don't work in the Lab or Radiology Department unless you have wonderful psychiatric care, a lawyer and great meds.

Get your head out of your asses and see what your staff is getting away with right under your turned up noses! You have abusive managers that insult their staff in front of others routinely and all management care about is the numbers and if their supervisors are keeping in budget, not how they treat their staff. Your new HR Manager is a greasy little rat and totally ineffective with people. Your other HR woman calls people who are subcontracted out by another company but work full time at your premises..."rented". I wish someone had warned me before I started how terrible the Lab's reputation was for how their manager treated her staff and how terrible they treat one another.

Worked for Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates? Contribute to the Community!