Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates

3.2
Gene Lindsey

1. Excellent Employer

I worked at Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

40 min physicals, 20 min office visits
    great benefits
    each doctor gets their own dedicated medical assistant

Cons

corporate feeling
    low salary compared to nearby practices
    spend a lot on outside consultants

Spend less on consultants and give the power back to the physicians.

2. One of the best companies I have worked for

Former Employee - Medical Assistant II in Chelmsford, MA
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant II in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay excellent, family unit, always room for advancement for motivated employees. Managers were great in Chelmsford location

Cons

More role clarification for senior medical assistants

Advise your medical assistants to recognize the Senior Medical assistant role and follow direction. Without animosity

Good learning experience

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Boston, MA

I worked at Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, several opportunities to learn additional skills, annual promotions, great pay and benefits. Extensive training offered, I felt very prepared going into my first weeks of work. Close knit community, holidays and birthdays celebrated making the environment feel friendly and familial.

Cons

Micro managing was a huge deterrent in this job. Sometimes I felt that the patient was the last concern in the long list of entities we had to focus on. Constantly changing procedures so at times hard to keep track of what was what.

Remember to be patient when introducing new processes! Your employees have a million other things to keep track of in addition to policy and procedure adjustments so let them figure out the pace in which they introduce them into routine. Listen listen listen to your people! They will know when something isn't working.

5. Great Pay horrible management

Current Employee - Medical Secretary in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Medical Secretary in Boston, MA

I have been working at Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the pay is good and the benefits are great!

Cons

no flexibility for working moms, and managers need more training to work with employees.

need to be more involved in managers and employees, also need to be more flexible with working parents. Very strict company policies for working women.

6. Excellent

I have been working at Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates

Pros

Outstanding healthcare company in Boston area.

Cons

Fast paced environment. Complex dynamic local Medical environment.

7. Good mission statement, bad upper management.

Former Employee - Supervisory
    Former Employee - Supervisory

I worked at Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits were good. Pay was ok and the time off was acceptable as well. All the major holidays were paid days off.

Cons

Upper management and administrators. HVMA uses promotion from within as a big selling point but doesn't make good on the promise. I was an employee for well over a decade, denied a promotion I was more than qualified for, and my manager could not give me a good reason why. From talking to other employees this is typical.

Stop the revolving door of upper management. No one working on the front lines knows who upper management is or what any of you actually do. It always felt like there were too many of you.

Micromanaged, money driven

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerville, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerville, MA

I have been working at Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent pay and good benefits

Cons

Poor management. Company is all about making money and less about patient care

9. Horrible work life balance

Former Employee - Physical Therapist in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Physical Therapist in Boston, MA

I worked at Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates full-time

Pros

Big company, so there is a PT secretary managing the insurance work, lot of administrative staff, monthly interstaff meetings, financial support for further education

Cons

Horrendous amount of work. You may get 45 min for an eval but not every time. If there was a 30 min slot open the manager would want me to see a new eval in the slot. Seeing 3-5 evaluations a day is normal and I have been asked to see upto 9 evaluations a day just because there were empty slots. I used to see 16-18 patients a day with 3-9 being evaluations and all the documentation would pile up to the end of the day as I could not keep up. They insist on detailed documentation so although you can use some Epic shortcuts, its still not enough. There is no time to document so much and I would land up spending hours at home documenting in my own personal unpaid time. Lunch time is useless as you are spending it on documentation anyways. Plus, productivity counts. If patients dont show up, it is considered the therapist's fault. Therapist has to call patient and encourage the patient to come. Lot of time is wasted in calling patients, returning patients' and dr's emails, refiling for insurance coverage, insurance appeals all of which you again land up doing at the end of the day in your own unpaid time. To top it all, the pay is markedly low compared to market standards.

This job kind of eats up your personal/family life. That too for such a low pay. No point working here.

Keep a fair limit on the evaluations. Give longer time for an eval. Give an extra paid hour at the end of the day for the documentation. Raise your pay, your pay is so low.

10. Great Place To Work

I have been working at Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent employee benefits. High staff satisfaction, with many employees 10+ years. Patient experience is top priority. Dedicated to keeping up with challenging US healthcare changes and staying competitive.

Cons

IT Systems could use some upgrades. Follow through with identified department areas in need of improvement.

No Redeeming Qualities

Former Employee - Professional in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Professional in Boston, MA

I worked at Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A nurturing environment for the mediocre and puerile.

Cons

Feckless senior management, lickspittle middle management and a venomous HR department deliver an utterly toxic work environment. Petty turf battles, back stabbing and hypocrisy rule the day, every day. I'd rather clean septic tanks than work at HVMA again.

Why would I bother? They are so divorced from reality that, If it penetrated their fog of conceit, they wouldn't care.