Harvey Nash Group Reviews

1. Best job I've had as a Technical Recruiter

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter

I have been working at Harvey Nash Group

Pros

Amazing team, company culture, and the commission structure is the best I've seen (and I have worked at several other agencies)

Cons

None so far, seriously a great place!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work with rewarding your employees for their hard work and making them feel appreciated :)

2. Good Place

I have been working at Harvey Nash Group

Pros

The weekend getaways are very nice

Cons

Working OT can get old quick

Advice to Management

Pay for OT

3. Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Business Developer
    Current Employee - Business Developer

I have been working at Harvey Nash Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team to work for. Upper management from the US CEO to the global CEO are great leaders. Fun environment. A ton of money to be made if you work hard and smart.

Cons

Start you off with low amount of vacation days. It makes sense though because in order to be successful in this industry you need to put in a lot of effort up front.

One of the most human staffing firms I have encountered

Current Contractor - Analyst in Stamford, CT
    Current Contractor - Analyst in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Harvey Nash Group as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Out of all the staffing firms I have worked with in the past, Harvey Nash is far and away the most understanding and human of them all. When my father came down with an illness, they were very sympathetic, and worked with me to take some time to address family and then return to the job that I very much enjoyed. This rarely happens and it's something that gives me the utmost respect for their business practices

Cons

None that I can think of offhand

Advice to Management

My recruiter, Matthew Leva, provided me with very frequent updates and kept in touch even when I was not working. He proved that he went above and beyond for his clients, and stands out to me as one of the best in the business. I would highly recommend anyone in my field to work with him in the future.

Business Development Manager

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Harvey Nash Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- commissions
    - work life balance
    - team support
    - culture

Cons

- no upward mobility
    - a lot of inexperienced recruiters

Advice to Management

More career growth and training.

7. Project manager at major bank handling marketing data integration.

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Harvey Nash Group

Pros

Freedom to do your work

Cons

No subject matter knowledge sharing or support

Advice to Management

Put up an internal web site - let people share ideas

A once good business that has lost its way.

I worked at Harvey Nash Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Better than most recruitment agencies, which doesn't say much, but at least they give you time and reasonable initial support to find your feet. It isn't a top down culture and you are encouraged to find your own style. I was financial successful working there, but that only goes so far.

Cons

Favouritism is rife, there is zero training, zero work life balance, highly juvenile culture and people are stressed through the roof. It's no surprise that the vast majority of the positive reports here are for people under one year service, there is a lot of great talk and non of it followed through with, give it two years and the only people left are the favourites...................and I was one of them!

Advice to Management

The management need management training, typically they are people who have billed a lot but with zero management skills, hence the culture of favouritism everyone is talking about. This was/could be a good agency but your constant demands for higher returns have ruined a once good culture and have turned it into a run of the mill high street agency.

A Terrible Place To Work

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Harvey Nash Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- You get the opportunity to work with industry leading clients.

Cons

I worked for Technology Recruitment London and it ended up being the most depressing job I've ever had for the following reasons:

- There is no career path at all which is very odd for a recruitment agency. There were never any targets in place to get promoted.

- Most of the Senior Management Team have been promoted not because they've earned/deserve it but because of the amount of time they've been working for the company.

- The training they offer is terrible and consists solely of having themed sessions with under qualified managers. Graduates are sold on joining because there is supposedly good training when in reality it's pretty much non-existent. Harvey Nash's competitors offer much better, structured training.

- The management team bully their staff. I've seen Consultants been reduced to tears on the sales floor before.

- It's the most KPI driven environment I've ever worked. KPI stats have to be reported daily and every Wednesday to a senior director. It's suffocating.

- The commission structure is awful. As a contract recruiter you are paid on the initial deal value not timesheets through the door like most recruitment companies. This means you are liable to clawback and crucially if contracts extend the rate of commission is less. The commission structure for a permanent recruiter is equally bad.

- Basic salary is well below market rate. There is no salary banding so everyone is on a different basic which causes bad feeling in the office. Given that there are no targets to get promoted or pay rise I felt stuck on that salary.

- The incentives are rubbish verging on non existent. Every sales company should have good incentives and at Harvey Nash they are seriously few and far between or un-achievable for most.

- Graduates joining are not put on full commission to start with. In the banking and finance practise for example graduate consultants have to do 10 deals before they are put on full commission which is not the industry norm at all.

- They are not focussed on delivery to their clients which in this market is backward. They are much more interested in winning new clients but less focussed on delivery. They have an offshore team in Vietnam and they expect them to source CV's for you which in my opinion is not giving the best service to their clients. They market it as a 24/7 CV sourcing solution but in reality they expect the team in Vietnam to find CV's and Consultants in London to do Business Development.

- I've never worked anywhere where so many people are unhappy which is depressing.

- An email got sent round last year from the Talent Team asking employees to come here and give positive reviews as there were so many bad ones. For me that shows the company is not genuine.

- I genuinely think Senior Management have no idea how bad it is to be a Consultant working for them.

Advice to Management

- Value your staff.
    - Implement a career path and structure.
    - Incentivise and set targets for employees to progress.

10. One of the best companies I've worked for

I worked at Harvey Nash Group full-time

Pros

When I read the negative reviews about Harvey Nash, I felt compelled to share my experience on here as the poor experiences of a few shouldn't outweigh the vast majority of positives that exist within the company. During my time there, I learnt SO much and now having moved on I can confirm it's rare to come across great places to work like this. I miss the work environment and the people (well, most of them). I mean, who says this stuff? There are some clear reasons why HN should be seriously considered for anyone pursuing a career in recruitment... strong training programme, balanced community of trainees, mid-level, managerial and directors - to name a few! There are opportunities to progress and be given more responsibility if you prove yourself.. and yes, that means working hard. I really dislike people who expect reward when they don't work for it. The Directors here will recognise real achievements and unlike other recruitment businesses out there, the things that HN achieve considering their size are outstanding. OK, we could do better in getting industry recognition but our clients know us well and they know best. So here's an outline of other things which I think make HN awesome:
    - Mentoring programme
    - Thorough and challenging recruitment process (this can mean 4/5 stages but that didn't put me off)
    - Good leadership from the Directors
    - Diverse teams and lots of crazy personalities to get along with
    - Interesting work, keeps you busy and gets you thinking outside of the box.. not just banging the phones
    - Pension and company shares scheme is strong compared to competitors

Cons

So you're probably wondering why I left ... definitely my own personal reasons and nothing to do with the company itself but here are some areas they can look to improve:
    - keep salaries competitive
    - lose the favouritism (which exists in a few teams)
    - some of your leaders need more training so they can effectively (and with some patience too) draw out potential in others
    - hiring managers need to pay more attention to best practice and be consistent in their recruitment process
    - ensure opportunities for progression can be given if you want to continue hiring great sales people

Advice to Management

I know you listen - so please don't lose the openness and transparency that exists within the business, but sometimes things need to move a little faster and quicker. You also need to ensure your communication filters down to the WHOLE of the business, and make sure those in management are held accountable for their leadership capabilities (or lack of). Those in positions of power can effectively pass the buck to those doing the 'leg work' or blame the market for poor performance. How about some accountability?

11. I worked at Harvey Nash full-time (more than 2 years)

I have been working at Harvey Nash Group

Pros

It was a very comfortable environment. In every department that I worked in, there were no absurd hours or people yelling at you. It was pretty relaxed and had an old school business atmosphere

Cons

t didn't really feel as though the company was pushing into new territory or expanding, but rather trotting along and sticking to old clients and old methods. It was a very "punch-the-clock" type environment and took a lot of effort to generate interest in improving existing systems and processes.

Advice to Management

Distance yourself from bureaucracy.

Harvey Nash Group Photos

The view from the top of our building!
Our SNUG breakout area at Head Office