Harvey Nash Group

Updated January 9, 2015
3.7

Harvey Nash Group CEO Albert Ellis
Albert Ellis

One of the most human staffing firms I have encountered

Current Employee - Analyst in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Analyst in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Harvey Nash Group as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Out of all the staffing firms I have worked with in the past, Harvey Nash is far and away the most understanding and human of them all. When my father came down with an illness, they were very sympathetic, and worked with me to take some time to address family and then return to the job that I very much enjoyed. This rarely happens and it's something that gives me the utmost respect for their business practices

Cons

None that I can think of offhand

My recruiter, Matthew Leva, provided me with very frequent updates and kept in touch even when I was not working. He proved that he went above and beyond for his clients, and stands out to me as one of the best in the business. I would highly recommend anyone in my field to work with him in the future.

Business Development Manager

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Harvey Nash Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- commissions
    - work life balance
    - team support
    - culture

Cons

- no upward mobility
    - a lot of inexperienced recruiters

More career growth and training.

Project manager at major bank handling marketing data integration.

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Harvey Nash Group

Pros

Freedom to do your work

Cons

No subject matter knowledge sharing or support

Put up an internal web site - let people share ideas

One of the best companies I've worked for

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Harvey Nash Group full-time

Pros

When I read the negative reviews about Harvey Nash, I felt compelled to share my experience on here as the poor experiences of a few shouldn't outweigh the vast majority of positives that exist within the company. During my time there, I learnt SO much and now having moved on I can confirm it's rare to come across great places to work like this. I miss the work environment and the people (well, most of them). I mean, who says this stuff? There are some clear reasons why HN should be seriously considered for anyone pursuing a career in recruitment... strong training programme, balanced community of trainees, mid-level, managerial and directors - to name a few! There are opportunities to progress and be given more responsibility if you prove yourself.. and yes, that means working hard. I really dislike people who expect reward when they don't work for it. The Directors here will recognise real achievements and unlike other recruitment businesses out there, the things that HN achieve considering their size are outstanding. OK, we could do better in getting industry recognition but our clients know us well and they know best. So here's an outline of other things which I think make HN awesome:
    - Mentoring programme
    - Thorough and challenging recruitment process (this can mean 4/5 stages but that didn't put me off)
    - Good leadership from the Directors
    - Diverse teams and lots of crazy personalities to get along with
    - Interesting work, keeps you busy and gets you thinking outside of the box.. not just banging the phones
    - Pension and company shares scheme is strong compared to competitors

Cons

So you're probably wondering why I left ... definitely my own personal reasons and nothing to do with the company itself but here are some areas they can look to improve:
    - keep salaries competitive
    - lose the favouritism (which exists in a few teams)
    - some of your leaders need more training so they can effectively (and with some patience too) draw out potential in others
    - hiring managers need to pay more attention to best practice and be consistent in their recruitment process
    - ensure opportunities for progression can be given if you want to continue hiring great sales people

I know you listen - so please don't lose the openness and transparency that exists within the business, but sometimes things need to move a little faster and quicker. You also need to ensure your communication filters down to the WHOLE of the business, and make sure those in management are held accountable for their leadership capabilities (or lack of). Those in positions of power can effectively pass the buck to those doing the 'leg work' or blame the market for poor performance. How about some accountability?

I worked at Harvey Nash full-time (more than 2 years)

I have been working at Harvey Nash Group

Pros

It was a very comfortable environment. In every department that I worked in, there were no absurd hours or people yelling at you. It was pretty relaxed and had an old school business atmosphere

Cons

t didn't really feel as though the company was pushing into new territory or expanding, but rather trotting along and sticking to old clients and old methods. It was a very "punch-the-clock" type environment and took a lot of effort to generate interest in improving existing systems and processes.

Distance yourself from bureaucracy.

Friendly, full of opportunity and busy

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Harvey Nash Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

So much work on that never a dull moment
    new starter training program
    BGB incentives and rewards

Cons

almost too busy to get any time for my own business development

Keep focused on keeping the culture professional

OK, but they weren't very clear at first

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Harvey Nash Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Harvey Nash works closely with some big tech companies, that's cool. Maybe you can have a cool opportunity somewhere.

Cons

Being unfamiliar with the outsourcing reality not all the contract details (benefits, contract renewal, etc) were made clear for me at the very beginning. You should work on that, lay everything down to the employee so he/she doesn't feel frustrated when he gets to the company he/she will be working at.

An organisaiton that helps you reach your potencial, supporting you through

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Harvey Nash Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great team atmosphere.
    Greatly rewarding; incentives; trips; commission.
    Global branded name standing behind you.
    A chance to build your own person-brand in areas you want!

Cons

Long hours (but they're worthwhile and rewarding)

Keep supporting junior and old consultants!
    Listen to new consultants as they can have great fresh new ideas.
    Keep introducing yourselvs and what you do in your role to joiner consultancts so they get more of rounded idea about what we do and how we work!

Awesome

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at Harvey Nash Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working for Harvey Nash has been amazing, everyone works collaberativley and you feel part of something! The company is very relationship driven (which is unusual for a recruitment organisation) and holds alot of exciting Events which are always a great networking opportunity and alot of fun.

Cons

i have no cons :)

Great company - Great ethos -Great people

I have been working at Harvey Nash Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for - This is a company where no idea is stupid; where innovation is embraced and hardwork rewarded. You get great training, a huge amount of support and the opportunity to work with some brilliant clients from day one. Commission is uncapped, the opportunities to grow personally are offered as well as the chance to specialise in areas that are of particular interest.
    There is flexibility and a grown up attitude, you are expected to hit your targets and work hard to support the team - but then you are supported in return and have the opportunities to go on incentive trips and other cool fun stuff!
    They hold true to their values and support the development of women leaders not only within the business but also championing this externally.

Cons

Yes you work long hours but you make the money to go with it and if you want to be successful in any job it's never 9-5..Steve jobs certainly didn't worry about clocking off at 5!

Keep doing what you are doing and only employ the brightest and the best!

Harvey Nash Group Photos

The view from the top of our building!
Our SNUG breakout area at Head Office